1988 2lt gte waterpump

RetroRob

For high performance engines 2.0/2.4 , I was told by UK Irmscher, they used the earlier steel bladed impellor water pump as has better flow than the standard cast one with a viscous fan...I have been using them on my turbo'd engine with an electric fan for a number of years...maybe owners of i200s and i240s can confirm this? 

(They also told me they used a Manta 400 Sach  thrust bearing on the i200 and i240s....but I lost the part number.. )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284399011819?fits=Car+Make%3AOpel|Model%3AManta&hash=item42378087eb:g:EccAAOSwGUVhdqru

Image 1 - Water Pump for VAUXHALL CAVALIER MK 1 1975-81 & OPEL MANTA A & B - 1970-84 QHImage 4 - Opel Manta 2.0, Ascona, Commodore C, Monza, Vauxhall Carlton NOS SIL Water Pump

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, H-400 said:

To improve the waterpump I used to fit the pulley of a 6cilinder. Those pulleys are smaller so the pump runs faster. You can buy those pulleys in the Edelschmiede shop:

https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/navi.php?a=2098&lang=eng

Interesting Herman, I guess this is the pulley you need when fitting a Manta water pump to a 2.4 Frontera engine which has a larger diameter toothed crank pulley.....

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/01/2022 at 10:29, GTEPETE said:

For high performance engines 2.0/2.4 , I was told by UK Irmscher, they used the earlier steel bladed impellor water pump as has better flow than the standard cast one with a viscous fan...I have been using them on my turbo'd engine with an electric fan for a number of years...maybe owners of i200s and i240s can confirm this? 

I have just stripped down an original 30k mile i200 engine recently, so I was interested to see what water pump had been fitted, as this engine hasn't been touched since 1985! It was in fact the standard GT/E  impeller for the year, so not the steel bladed one. You are right though Pete - Tom May at Irmscher advised me that the earlier pump had a better flow and then recommended that I bought a new one whilst they were still available.....so I bought a couple! They were fitted as an upgrade rather than from new I think. I've worked on a few i200 engines over the years and never found one fitted from new.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Irmscher Man said:

I have just stripped down an original 30k mile i200 engine recently, so I was interested to see what water pump had been fitted, as this engine hasn't been touched since 1985! It was in fact the standard GT/E  impeller for the year, so not the steel bladed one. You are right though Pete - Tom May at Irmscher advised me that the earlier pump had a better flow and then recommended that I bought a new one whilst they were still available.....so I bought a couple! They were fitted as an upgrade rather than from new I think. I've worked on a few i200 engines over the years and never found one fitted from new.

Thanks Paul, yes it was Tom May..I saw him at Chatsworth house in the 90's...remember the V12 Manta A was there too...he also told me they used 2.3 diesel valve springs in the i engines and I believe the diesel oil pressure relief housing...also remember he found out from someone there that a rare Manta 400, that he had a connection with had been bought by someone for the price of a standard Manta through the back door.....apparently he got it back obo Vauxhalls...

• Like 2

All interesting info about those impellors. Gonna try to pull a steel one from a worn pump to check if they fit on a recent one. The latest pump I bought had even plastic impellors the same shape as the cast ones. The diesel bottom plate on the oil pump is something I use for decades, but they are rare these days.

• Like 2