head gasket gone 1977 cavalier coupe, white smoke, froth on oil cap, using water, so im asumming its gone, im not sure what the cost is to replace the gasket, any advice on an engine replacement alternative, or best to keep the original and get it fixed d

joseywales

hi is there a replacement engine option on the 1977 1900 coupe, that can be adapted to fit without to much hassle, if i cant source a vauxhall engine that is, also is the head gasket a major pain to replace, i can do a bit, but replacing the head gasket maybe too much for my limited knowledge...regards

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joseywales said:

also is the head gasket a major pain to replace

Get a Haynes manual it's very easy to do but would advise help when lifting the head off and on it's very heavy would also recommend to get the head checked for warping may need a skim if the engine is good than this is what I would do.

• Like 1

yes as above ,a very easy engine to do .the haynes explains it in good detail.

other engines can obviously be fitted of the same physical style.(1,6,1.9,2.0) with their respective carbs,manifolds etc. but check insurance first. not all allow mods.

it SOUNDS like a gasket issue but a compression test and cooling system pressure test would confirm .

• Like 1

Main point is that it is very unlikely the engine you have can’t be repaired. But if you don’t want to tackle the task yourself, then call a few garages. As above posts have stated, the engine is old school and very easy to work on. Nothing complex really other than the age of them.

Even though they are old, plenty of gasket sets still about for these engines

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, joseywales said:

thanks for advice, just been told the cylinder head is cracked, and i cant get anyone to repair it, so im on the lookout for another, which is proving difficult..

Might have one , will need to check.

Use it as an opportunity to do some upgrades and modernisation. If you use a later head, (engine no 0355000 onwards), you should be okay for using unleaded and you could also look at getting the head ported. Try and use someone who has done CIH heads before though and don't go for polished, as they don't respond well to that.

If you are in the Midlands, I can recommend you have a chat with John at Knight Engine Services Ltd, as he knows the CIH engine better than most. As its quite an old lump, the folks that remember these old dinosaur engines is getting fewer each year unfortunately, but they are easily improved with very little effort.

https://www.knightengineservices.co.uk/

• Thanks 1