Hello and thanks for accepting me.

Hi, just thought I would say hello as a newbie to the forum.

I bought a 1984 GTE Coupe during Covid and that has been keeping me busy. It was without an engine when I got it so that has also been on the "to do" list. Hopefully I have found a really good one now, so fingers corssed i can get the thing back on the road this year.

I will have to post some pictures when i have wokred out how to do it! I see there is a guide somewhere, so i will do some homework.

🙂

• Like 4

Hi and welcome,

The Manta is an easy enough car to strip and re build as long as the parts are all there and present, I probably spent more time sourcing missing parts than I would like to admit. Sounds like you’re making great progress 👍

• Like 1

Welcome! Excellent user name btw 😎

look forwards to see some pictures, but to upload into the forums you need to be a member. But good news web membership is very good value and worth joining as there are member only areas , especially if you want to be searching for technical help 

good luck. 

• Like 1

Hi, welcome over here. Succes with the restoration, we are waiting for pics👍. To upload them I use Imgur, still free.

As Jess wrote joining a web-membership gives you a source of info about everything 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome,l have spent over 2 years doing mine on the road last year ,not much time to use it even though l got made redundant ( it’s a very good thing)

You can start a project page so everyone can see what you have accomplished 

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll look into joining up as a web member as it looks as though there will be some parts I will need along the way and also some advice. I've had a few Vauxhall/Opels over the years, including 6 Mantas, Calibras, Chevettes, Cavaliers, Carltons etc and I've been looking forward to getting this Manta done and hopefully I can enjoy it this summer. This one is going to be a keeper though, as it really is a nice car.

I have gone back to a bare shell and stripped the car when I first got it. It was surprisingly rust free for a Manta, with only a few small repairs required but the main chassis swan necks were fine, inner wings were perfect, the sills and jacking points all good too. I think I lucked out as the car was really low mileage (less than 20k) and had been in a heated garage of a friend of mine for most of its life. The paint was bad, so I decided to strip it back and see what horrors lay beneath, and apart from some minor rust on the base of the C pillars, some surprise filler and a couple of dings to sort out on the rear quarters it wasn't too bad at all. Some Manta Coupes seem to have this same problem and I've seen a few with dents that have been caused by things inside the boot flying about, as the dents are from the inside!

So I have a rebuilt CIH waiting for me and then I just need to decide whether I stick with the original Injection or go for Throttle bodies. This is a subtly modified car (it will have the interior trimmed out in Alcantara and a few other bits) so I am not aiming to keep it original by any means. I've been there and I really fancy building a car for me to enjoy now.

Has anyone had any experience of the Jenvey Heritage Throttle Bodies? I'm still not decided if this is a genius idea or whether it is a waste of time. On a modified car, seeing the throttle bodies is half the fun eh so I'm not sure that making it look really retro is the way I am going to go.

All help and ideas are useful at this point!

• Like 2

Welcome to the world of mantas hope you get some info on your throttle bodies as i had wounderd about that same convertion but so far only a thought  not actually done anything about it yet as doing body work first 

TBs have been done a couple of times. The ECU & head to choose will play a large part in how well they will perform, as will engine capacity. There are gains to be made from a ported GTE head, go with a cut down(to 4 cyl) Monza GSE inlet and aftermarket ECU would be an option and has good bhp potential, with a semi OEM look.

Heritage of course have the look of the webers, so are very period.
@ANDY ABBOTT has done them and had fully mapped setup for ignition/fuel too so can probably offer better advice on the setup of ITBs