Spark Plugs...

Posted (edited)

So many options & need to know what is best from the multitude of available items.

Is thread length 19mm ?

Nickle or Iridium?

1 pin or 4 pin?

Any suggestions for a decent quality spark plug ?

Its for my 1600 sportshatch.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by plumster
added questions
  • Like 1

Good bit of info in this thread mate. 
But don’t waste too much on plugs as even std are far superior to when the CIH Was released. They don’t have to contend with high C/R

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

as above .

also dont rely too much on the original reccommended settings for plug gap and ignition timing. these engines were designed back in the good old leaded 4 star days and need to be experimented with now when using modern fuel . obviously e10 is not reccommended but the super unleaded mixes at a higher octane and (possibly ethanol free in some cases ) demand different settings . for example you wont need to retard the timing over std if you are not using a low octane fuel and may even  need more advance over std. ?  

all engines are slightly different and you shoud regard the factory settings as a base to start from .

Just dropped a bollock, Europarts listed various plugs based on my Reg, I chose some NGK, on delivery I find the thread length to be 19mm not 13mm.

Ah well, better send em back & get some @13mm. FFS.

48 minutes ago, rutts said:

https://www.formulapower.com/    for plug leads.

Still denso best for me. 

www.sparkplugs.co.uk

Are these suitable to fit the std dizzy cap & doodah ? I assume std cable is about 7mm theirs appear to be 10mm.

I looked at that magnacor website, what a dogs breakfast I just gave up with it.

I want to go through the whole ignition bits & replace with new, HT leads, Plugs, Points, Dizzy cap, condenser... owt else?

57 minutes ago, plumster said:

Are these suitable to fit the std dizzy cap & doodah ? I assume std cable is about 7mm theirs appear to be 10mm.

I looked at that magnacor website, what a dogs breakfast I just gave up with it.

I want to go through the whole ignition bits & replace with new, HT leads, Plugs, Points, Dizzy cap, condenser... owt else?

Definitely consider dumping the points/condenser for a drop in electronic setup. It will be 100x more reliable for spark , even more so if you can’t setup your points by dwell angle 

I once fitted the recommended Bosch plugs and the car ran badly and flat was told that the plugs fitted originally would be the correct heat for the engine but when you buy any other manufacturers recommended plug sometimes it's only the nearest to the correct heat so binned the Bosch and bought GM plugs and she ran beautifully.

11 hours ago, plumster said:

Yes fit in distributor cap no problem, been using formula power for years on all my motors. Give him a ring he is a great guy. 

I have magnacor leads on mine (custom made to length) and super 4 spark plugs. Always been great and i would get rid of the points and upgrade something electronic.