Rick's Manta V8 - NEW VIDEO

Mick

ho boy, that was a close escape, eh Rick ?! I though you had an earlier scoop, not the late huge example

OMOC 5885

1800 Hatch Daily Driver

GTE Exclusive Coupe SORN'd

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more pictures of the V8 as it is at present

off_front2.jpg

offrear.jpg

off_front.jpg

Got the Wolfies on but want chrome 17's and I'm going to paint the brakes in bight silver

wolfrear.jpg

Alloy kick plates give the interior a more modded feel...

kickleft.jpg

...as do the rear window quarters to the exterior

quartleft.jpg

id="blue">id="size4">

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta

Hmmm, paited drums. Classy. [B)]

quote:Originally posted by Rick-Manta

Damn right but I didn't escape paying for the piece of sh1t, the earlier non WRX type would have been too small. Couldn't interest you in this for your new hatch then Pete? [:o)]

banner.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

Yeah I'd love cleaning dead flies off the cam cover [;)]

OMOC 5885

1800 Hatch Daily Driver

GTE Exclusive Coupe SORN'd

Thanks for the comments, don't worry the red drums are going!

I tried out my chrome effect paint on the alternator and after several attempts, here's the result...

altern2.jpg

...unfortunatly when it's bolted back in, it doesn't look that chromey. You can hardly tell the colour apart from the block and pulleys!

DSC00094.jpg

Fitted the breather filters, although I'd best remove them, next time I run the engine as they'll be black within seconds!

breather.jpg

Made a really sh1te rad cover just to cover up some horrors for now

sh1ttray.jpg

id="blue">
id="size3">

banner.jpg

Best ever tip I learnt was off of Chris Tee.

Drums are not good items to be showing off, especially by highlighting them, always best to paint them black.

So when I had my V8 with 17" shiny alloys, best thing was to hide the drums by painting them black. If I had painted them red they would have stuck out literally like a sore thumb and would have upset the balanced look of the car.

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Good advice there Clive. I really hate red drums (or any colour except black in fact).

I reckon a pair of Kev Abbott's rear discs would go in behind your wheels nicely Rick.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

I do usually paint drums black, but in this case, mainly because of the black alloys, I'll be painting them silver. I had these wheels on my 1.8S hatch with black drums and it looked a bit odd from a distance, it made the drum appear to be part of the wheel and also like the rear wheels were different to the front.

Rear disk conversions haven't really appealled to me before, apart from the cosmetic benifits, I haven't found they make much difference with braking performance, I would have thought monies were best consentrated on bigger front disks?

banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my sexy new steering wheel, I'm well chuffed! I did a swap for my Opel Sport leather wheel which I couldn't fit due to the boss, I was expecting an exclusive standard type but this is ten times better. Red stiches on black leather, it's got thumb grips and a horn adaptor so you can use the left and right spokes as the horn push and have a flat centre, the works.

steeringwheel.jpg

Had a bit of stress with this momo stuff. Firstly, I ordered some automatic sport pedals online, was unimpressed by the service from the website so didn't get any of the other stuff I wanted from them. Then I found the manta brake pedal to be too narrow for a conventional auto pedal cover, I had to buy a manual set this time from halfrauds. As I was shopping, I also bought a chrome gear knob to replace the auto selector handle, got home only to find half the bits are missing [:(!] Ba5tard halfords! Notice in the pic that the boxes look like they've been kicked around a field!

momo.jpg

Currently the auto selector won't select 1st as it was a manual converted to auto, the rubber gaiter and circular tunnel hole won't allow the stick to pull back far enough. My plan is to make a metal testarossa/countach style metal gear gaiter, that with a chrome surround, the already chrome stick and a chrome gear knob should give me one of the tastiest auto gear selectors in manta history! If it works i'll be blowing my own trumpet and post up a picture [8D]

Something to be ashamed of here. I had a go at a shiny rad tray as I have to do something to cover the rad and the twin fans as it's a very ugly setup. It'll have to do for the car shows this summer as my budget is now extremely limited

radtray.jpg

I've also been experimenting with some chrome badges. Haven't decided on the coupe badges as it's a bit generic

v8coupe.jpg

I've at last run the engine after many months of it being sat. Tonnes of smoke from the exhaust and from under the bonnet, I hope it's just the valves clearing. A major problem with a V8 running through an unresricted exhaust is that neighbours could get a bit unhappy with me getting the engine up to temp every other day [:D]

id="blue">
id="size3">

Big thanks to everyone I've dealt with recently, this manta's coming along much better day by day now![:D]

banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the whole of today on the V8's engine bay. I'm quite proud of my chequer plate aluminium chassis rail covers, which are covering the uneven bashed over bits to let the exhaust manifolds clear. They're actually quite easy to fit and are ideal to tidy up either side of the block, you can see in the picture that I've painted below the rocker covers and the vertical face of the chassis rails in black and leaving the upside white paintwork I spent ages cutting it back (not the best result here mind!)

alustrip.jpg

I got hold of some hose covers which worked really well, it was a good excuse to remove all the coolant, fuel and vacuum hoses to check their condition and clean them up. Bit fiddly replacing some of them especially the water pump to inlet. The heater bypass hose I made up (and braided) didn't fit, the inlet did but for some reason the outlet union is much larger, so I couldn't squeeze the hose on [V] bloody Rovers!!

newhose.jpg

Probably a mistake even touching the wiring loom but I had to reposition the washer pump to fit my custom washer bottle. In turn, I made a chequer plate mat to sit under the bottle and fitted the first bit of my mirrored bulkhead cover. I also swapped my brake fluid reservoir over for my recently delivered custom solutions one

wireloom.jpg

The interior is coming along slowly, I fitted my momo pedals and the gear selector is getting there although I'll be using a leather gaiter instead of my earlier metal lambo style H pattern type

gearshift.jpg

That'll do for today, I ache all over!

id="purple">id="size4">

banner.jpg

it's coming along nicely, although i do think the braided hose would look better with the proper anodised hose clips on the ends

especially like the use of the rubber tops from the disposable mig gas bottles covering the shock tops

newsig.jpg

Thanks Chris. I got some aluminium sleeves with the braided hose covers but I couldn't get them to fit. I also tried putting two jubilee clips on, one to hold the hose to the union, the other to hold the ends of the braid to the hose, that didin't work either [:(]

If I get around to it tommorrow I'll be tackling the annoyingly uneven sized heater bypass, finish off the wiring for which I've got some red wire tidies which should brighten the bay up a bit, and finally cut a hole in the bonnet [:I] With that all done and a coolant top-up I may even be able to run the engine, which'll make a change [:D]!

banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Will this rain ever stop? As soon as the sun's out again I'm going to be busy. Check out what's basically the last few touches to the engine (bar a fan belt, new oil and a new expansion tank) you'll notice that most of it is service parts which oddly I've left until after dress up[:I]

newparts.jpg

The bloody HT leads and dizzy cap are black which is a shame as I like the yellow mallory jobbies on at the moment but they're dirty and it's best practise to replace 'em i'm sure (plus they're intermotor which as far as I'm aware aren't best known for quality!)

Since I could do it indoors I made up a heater bypass to fit when the weather's better. It's a 3/4" to 5/8" so I hope it doesn't leak as i'm already losing coolant elsewhere!

heaterbypass.jpg

id="size3">
id="purple">

banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The engine bay is nearly done bar some service items, heat shield wrap, mirror bulkhead cover and some more wiring. With all the hoses plumbed up I went for a little drive and thankfully the plumes of smoke have cleared apart from at max revs when there's like a big guff of it just for a moment! The motor's using a lot of coolant, which I've changed and properly bled through but this is going to be a bit of a worry as I make my way to Billing next month as there aren't many places to pull over on the A45!

There's still quite a bit to do elsewhere on the car which I'll crack on with over the next couple of weekends, for now here are some updated pics of the bay.

ngin1.jpg

ngin2.jpg

ngin3.jpg

id="size3">id="purple">

banner.jpg

quote:I just don't like chequer plates on cars in any shape or form. (on a Landrover, fine)
id="quote">id="quote">

What, not even my chassis rail corner covers? [:(] Land Rovers also have this engine in them [^]

I would prefer a Clive made rad tray but I thought I'll have to at least do something for myself and yes the result is that it looks sh1t.[:D] I think I'll cut the rad tray back a little as it does take the attention from my intended focus points.

banner.jpg

Lookin good Rick. It's cleaner looking than any of my cars will ever be, I don't have the patience to get absolutely everything looking so clean.

I know how satisfying it is seeing something you've spent time on coming together.

Hats off!

Pass me the gun and ask me again....

PROBLEMS

PROBLEMS

PROBLEMSid="size6">

Took the car for a longer run and....

Clive, Robbie and anyone else who pointed out the SD1 auto-box to GTE diff ratio you were absolutely right. Although the car has been at 100mph it is revving it's fukking nuts off! The last time I hit that speed I had to ease off and brake quite quick so it quietened down and I assumed it was still in 2nd and lifting off the pedal it shifted up into 3rd and burbled along. WRONG! I hadn't been driving it at all until recently where I've just kept it at 30mph around the local roads none the wiser but now I risked the main roads at a cruising speed and my accurate(ish) bolt on rev counter reads 3000rpm at 50mph [:0] THAT'S IN TOP GEAR!

I say 'risked' the main roads due to the temperature needle slowly climbing towards red. I first thought this is because the car is revving higher than it should but even at low revs in third (about 30mph assuming the speedo is accurate[V]) with the two large cooling fans blasting away, the coolant is still getting hotter and hotter. EEEK!

The coolant is new, the thermostat is fine, there is no heater box and the air/fuel mix is optimal. All I can think is that the SD1 aluminium rad isn't getting enough breeze from the front of the manta grill but with the two fans I would have thought this'll be okay?! I'll hook the thermostat out to see if it'll help but if anyone has any other ideas I'd appreciate it [:D]

This is bloody typical now it's the show season [:(]. I'm booked for Billing too, so basically I'm going to have to drive to Billing (about 65 miles) at 50mph max and pull over every 15mins to let the engine cool [:(!][:(!]

Anyone want a cheap unfinished project V8? 'cos after Billing I'm weighing the fukker in!!!

banner.jpg

Change the volt regulator on the back of the instruments and i bet the temp needle behaves itself.

did you use a manta sender unit for the temp ? if you dont use a sender with the same values as the gauge then it can tell lies.

....Been stuck in airports, terrorized

Sent to meetings, hypnotized

Overexposed, commercialized....