About how i want it

Volksdevil

Got home from the holiday and thought about doing something useful, so i washed the car (damn birds and cats) and decided to take it for a run to dry it off, while out i thought id take some decent pictures as a keepsake and also now i've done a few modifications (subtle) take a few for the insurance. They looked so good i thought id be a big fat big head and post them on here and bask in perhaps the only glory i'll ever get.

Truth is the reality is not as good as the pictures but its not far off.

PIC_0687.jpg

PIC_0686.jpg

PIC_0685.jpg

PIC_0684.jpg

PIC_0683.jpg

PIC_0682.jpg

PIC_0679.jpg

PIC_0674.jpg

PIC_0677.jpg

PIC_0676.jpg

PIC_0675.jpg

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

Unfortunately if i lost the stick on fuel cover id lose the paint attached to it also, which would in turn open a whole can of worms trying to match the paint exactly.

And i cant believe you saw through the illusion, i thought everyone would believe it was a genuine aircraft fuel cap! [:D]

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

Yet another cracking car, good news is that everyone is tidying their cars, that can only be good for the marque in general.

The better they look the more attractive to potential new owners and the more value there is in the cars overall.

Come on everyone get em shiny & out on the street, AND, if you are selling put an extra few hundred quid on the asking price [:D][:D][:D].

minicaver.jpg

That's not grey, I'm a natural blonde. (5858)

Nice! I like that the pedals, steering wheel and gearknob show that extra effort has gone into the cars appearance. Big bore exhaust, is that a full system or just backbox? I notice the 'manta gte' decal is missing on the offside, might look nice debadged like I did with my 1.8 hatch [?]

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta

The car still has the original suspension set up on i believe, this is my second GT/E and both have had this ride height. Its very low, maybe a little too low as the exhaust clamp takes a bit of rubbing on speed humps and certain driveways.

The MOMO steering wheel is an ebay bargain at £50, it was needed as the original was wearing very smooth around the edges and was sometimes slippery to the point of being dangerous. (and we all know what happens to out of control mantas![B)])

The pedals and gearstic were very loosely fitted when i got the car, i intended to replace the gearstick with an original but couldn't find one so kept what it came with and fitted it securely. The pedals being much bigger are easir to find with your feet, and without them i had a habit of jamming my foot between the accelerator and brake pedal.

Exhaust came with the car also and is just really a backbox with a 3" chrome tail but sounds fantastic, not least down small streets and tunnels.

I am quite inclined to remove the N/S MANTA GT/E sticker as i think it looks better without. I like the typeface but always did think the size was too big. The colour is Steel Grey, my original manta (C884 OCU) was Anthracite and bar the colour this is virtually identical. Im re-living my early twenties and being as im 30 today might explain why i called myself QLC.[;)]

Have developed a fault with the suspension, a minor clunking noise, not helped by the ride height no doubt. Anyone know where i can get replacement bushes from. Dont know which one is faulty at the moment until i look. Would obviously like the superflex ones as the powerflex appear to be rubbish reading other topics, but the reality is i can only afford the standard ones. Are they obtainable? and where sells them still? Anybody got any new ones?

Thanks for taking an interest in the car and making the effort to post a reply.

Cheers DW

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

If you find out which bushes are shot, then you can just replace those ones for now. TJM on here does the Superflex at a good price for club members.

The car's looking good, I'll finally get to have a proper look round it next Monday.

omoc 5660,Cambridge & The Fens Area Rep.

"He who fights and runs away, will live to be thrashed on another day"

How about some nice pressed metal number plates? Not the black/silver ones,but still pressed with german font?

Ive had no trouble with mine so far,and thay are on velcro for quick "sorry officer just been to a show" style swappage[:D]

Neil.

OMOC #6042

Wanted: 4OO Replica coupeid="red">

p7705517.gif

quote:Originally posted by Sutty2006

In the words of Borat..

NICE!!

id="quote">id="quote">

or "I like! High Five!" etc

Looks like it's got a Coupe Exhaust back box to me.

OMOC 5885

1800GT Hatch Daily Driver

GTE Exclusive Coupe SORN'd

Currently lusting after: 80s Camaro V8 :P

Nice looking motor that, love the colour and black wheels[:D][^][^], altho, I'd have left the gear knob and pedals as original, just really not a fan of aftermarket stuff like that...to me (must express, my personal opinion and all that and no offence intended), but they look out of place on an old car (and indeed must modern cars) has that 'I've been to halfords and bought some cheap bits' look. Sorry, like I say personal opinion and it could well be that I have no taste whatsoever.[:P][:(]

South Wales Rep

OMOC 5643

turbo.gif

quote:Originally posted by PeteM

id="quote">id="quote">

or "I like! High Five!" etc

id="quote">id="quote">

You will get woman with vagin' like wizards sleeve!

Quater-life, is the clunking suspension noise coming from the front? It might be a broken anti-roll bar drop link pin which is a very common weak point on a manta. The second time it happened to me I didn't realize and thought it were something like a split bush or a cracked spring, worth checking.

banner.jpg

quote:It might be a broken anti-roll bar drop link pin
id="quote">id="quote">

I'll second that, that was what was clonking on mine when we got it. I thought it was bushes, and even had a so called mechanic tell me it was my front subframe rear mounting bush that was shot. I bought a set of Powerflex for it, and when Simon came to fit them he found the broken part. Funnily enough, the only bushes that weren't changed on mine were the front subframe rear mounting bushes, as they were in good condition, and didn't want to come out.

Anti roll drop pin thingy what ??? [:o)]

Can i have that in Idiots Language please, Im affraid you're talking to someone with more enthusiasm than actual mechanical knowledge. Thanks for the advice, i'll write that down on a piece of paper and ask when i get round to taking it to the garage.

I really need a bigger house with a bit of land and a big workshop with a lift in it. I may learn something then.[:)]

Perhaps one of you could have a look for me when i next see you.... Steve, mate, have i ever said what a generous good looking bloke you are??? looking forward to monday ![;)]

Devil Fish, i would not have gone out and bought the gearknob and pedals and put them on myself, they came with the car (as did the fuel cap cover) but to be fair i couln't find a genuine gearknob anywhere and the pedals are remarkably comfortable and easily found with your feet, so they are staying. Im with you on the modifying thing to a certain degree but then again those twin headlights are a mod and they are definately an improvement for the better all round.

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

quote:Steve, mate, have i ever said what a generous good looking bloke
id="quote">id="quote">

Now you've got me worried!

quote:Originally posted by Quarter-Life-Crisis

Anti roll drop pin thingy what ??? [:o)]

id="quote">id="quote">

I'm sure the generous and good looking Steve will point it out to you but if you want to check in the meantime you won't need to jack the car up just to look. Look under the front bumper and the front anti-roll bar runs across from left to right roughly below your radiator. Just follow the bar each side to the end where it'll have a rubber bush which has a pin, the 'drop link pin thingy' which links it to the wishbone.

If either one is broken you've experienced yet another manta common fault not long after your faulty voltage regulator! [:D] Nip 'em in the bud mate!

BTW Basic mods like the gear knob, pedals and wheel are cool [8D] If in quarter-life's first topic picture was of an original interior, to me it would have just been another 'nice condition' manta. As it is, it looks in nice condition and that little bit different (and I'm jealous about the MOMO wheel [:P])

banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There's nothing worse than looking nder a car, and under the bonnet of a car after its been rained on for 3 days.[V]

Not only do the minor rusty bits whaich aren't really thay bad look awful, but there are pools of rain where you really dont want rain to be sitting.

Top manrks that man i do indeed have a broken Anti-roll bar drop link pin![;)]

Anybody have any idea where to get a pair of new replacements?

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

Thanks for the advice, went to the motor factors (partco) and they supplied the wrong ones, to be fair they were only wrong because the middle bar was a bit too long. They were listed under Opel Manta though!

I felt like tackling this job myself for 2 reasons - im impatient and i didn't want to spend money on a mechanic. Well after much searching for missing tools and words that cannot be repeated on here, i did it![:)]

I found it easier to break the only good side and just unbolt the anti-roll bar and fight the rusted bolts with myself upright and with the aid of a vice in the garage. The new ones went on easy enough, and with a swift movement of the steering wheel to get the tyres out the way i found i didn't even need to raise the car.

Here's the proof. (i see why people like powder-coating now)

PIC_0702.jpg

I really did enjoy this mechanicing melarchey especially as i have youth, fitness and enthusiasm on my side, scrabbling about on a loose stone driveway however aint that fun. Must earn more to pay for house with huge garage.[;)]

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

Nice job that man!

An idea of mine, much cheaper than powder coating is each time you disassemble a suspension part, clean it up with degreaser and emery paper. Then paint it with the high temperature paint that is used to paint exhaust manifolds (firecoat VHT for example). The paint doesn't need primer or laquer, availiable in loads of colours and if you use a decorators heat gun before refitting then the paint hardens even more. Not that you need to heat it as it is strong enough anyway. Do it to the front and back anti-roll bars, panhard rod, bottom arms, use coloured bushes and you can show all your cars immaculate underbody to.... urm... well an mot tester for one!?

banner.jpg