1976 B series coupe. General work continues “project zero”

Sutty2006

So basically this manta hasn’t seen the road in nearly 30 years, I pulled it out of someone’s front garden, no idea how long it had been there. So there’s going to be some unknown rust spots here and there. Practicing my skills again. A small hole probably the size of a dress sequin cut out to be replaced..... conveniently forgot to take my welding mask with me. Oh well. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• 1 month later...

So I’ve not done anything on this for a while. Been busy working and sorting other stuff out. I collected my 2.0 engine from a friend I lent it to, so I could strip and rebuild it. A little disappointed it’s missing a lot of parts that it went with. One being the fuel pump, not really bothered about the manifolds but the alternator is also missing along with the engine mounts, so I’ve got to find those now. 

I started stripping the engine, it turns over freely but you can hear something “catching” inside. I pulled the head off to find oil on number 1 inlet valve. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I’m not letting it get to me. Lesson learned. Looks like this engine might be toast. Number 2 liner is rusty. Number one big ends are scored bad and the rest aren’t much better. Silvery grey sludge in sump and pick up pipe looks battered. Lots of deposits in oil.  I’m on the hunt for another engine now. I sold my spare engine thinking this would be ok. Oh well! 

Are you after gte engine or std carb engine. ( re fuel pump hole ) I should have a couple or so but they will be half units . Ie no head. 

Easier to store this way and  oil up the bores for storage ! Located west yorks

Edited by cam.in.head

No worries. I have a few heads but they are all pre 85 except one I’m keeping as a spare for mine. Mine runs a standard varijet so unleaded heads for this from a mk2 carlton were hard enough to find back in the day .

you should have no problems rebuilding yours.majority of parts still available such as rings and shells ,oil seals etc.

• 1 month later...

So I’ve not done a massive amount of work on this car recently. Mainly due to a wedding coming up next month and lack of time/funds etc.

so today I’ve put a brand new GM speedo cable in. Thanks to nick from America. I’ve also been fitting the replacement wiring loom, when I removed it from a breaker I labelled most connections up. Luckily. I’m ready to put the dash back in but decided to take it home to clean up and check everything is ok. Turns out the instrument cluster is pretty bad, most connections are rotten but I’ve got a few old units I can rob parts off.

Yup I don’t think any area of this car has been spared corrosion wise. I’ve found a couple of sets of newer dash binicles and removed the gauge connections to fit to the original set. I’ve got a B1 dash spare but it’s got a rev counter, the original hasn’t so wanted to keep this dash original. 

hi i have got a complete 2.0 s engine perfect. low mile engine. bought it because i thought my engine was no good. but turns out it was me leaving bolts loose on inlet..

you can have it for £150 . the engine is in telford shropshire

I’ve currently got a 2.0s waiting to go in but it’s not been ran in a long time, so if it turns out to be no good I’ll take you up on that engine. But I’m in no rush to buy one as I’ve got other commitments right now. 

30 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Did you find the heater cable clip then?

Yes, in a totally different place than I thought. But I recon it’s not the original. That one must have grown legs n walked off. 

Dash is ok, not mint but it’ll do. This car will never be mint, but I’m happy with that. 

• Like 1

Small repair to nearside A pillar below check strap mount. Didn’t take a before picture, but there were holes everywhere. Small patch fitted. Rest of holes welded up. Not a pretty job but can be dressed later. 

• Like 2

• Sutty2006 changed the title to 1976 B series coupe. General work continues “project zero”