Cavalier 4 door

Snowy

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it off or a few inches out to save digging into the sill / pillar seam.

The rear of the sill is so bad that I’ve decided to change the whole sill. So that makes the decision easy. The sill and jacking point are coming off.

But I’ll do the jacking point first to get at the chassis rail as not to weaken the structure to much. The the sill can come off.

• 2 weeks later...

If I cannot convince anyone to scrape underseal for fun how about for safety??

How many of you carry your children in the car thinking they are safe because you have rear seatbelts??

This seatbelt reinforcement came off in my hand, but to look at was perfect. So get in there and have a good look at yours. Better to be safe than sorry.

Image0162.jpg

Image0163.jpg

Image0165.jpg

It's amazing wot the underseal hides :huh: Have you used the chassis paint yet?

I was looking at the tins today! and the instructions are weird! something like; add tin A with tin B, then add harder :blink:

I'm going to try the heat gun, to remove the underseal on mines :mellow: the wire brush, takes to long :o

Looking forward to updates :thumbup

Cheers

Keith

It's amazing wot the underseal hides :huh: Have you used the chassis paint yet?

I was looking at the tins today! and the instructions are weird! something like; add tin A with tin B, then add harder :blink:

I'm going to try the heat gun, to remove the underseal on mines :mellow: the wire brush, takes to long :o

Looking forward to updates :thumbup

Cheers

Keith

Not tried the paint yet. But you just add equal amounts of part A to B to use it. Only thin it, with supplied thinners, if you intend to spray it on.

But the company recommend using a stiff brush.

Removed the rotten outter ready to clean up the inner and let new metal in. Or in this case old metal....

100_1744.jpg

100_1748.jpg

When breaking a car always keep everything. I have a few sections of old chassis rails in good condition. Easier than making a new piece and looks more original too.

100_1745.jpg

100_1746.jpg

Well it's not the prettiest repair in the world. It is strong and once seam sealed and undersealed it will look fine.

100_1749.jpg

100_1750.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1752.jpg

100_1753.jpg

100_1755.jpg

Got to clean up the jacking point, repair the floor above where it joins the sill, and put it back on.

• 1 month later...

Haven't done anything for a while due to work and other commitments.

Managed to make a repair panel for the wafer thin metal above the jacking point on the drivers side..

Image0205.jpg

Image0206.jpg

Image0207.jpg

Image0204.jpg

Just got to cut the old section out and weld the new in.

• 3 months later...

Time to remove the rotten nose cone now. It came off very easily.

Luckily the rot had only just spread into the mounting flange on the drivers side. Should be an easy repair.

Image0246.jpg

Image0245.jpg

I always leave the bonnet on when removing the nose cone. Gives a good guide to refitting the new one. Just make sure you are happy with the fit and alignment before you remove the nose cone.

Image0247.jpg

Image0248.jpg

I have a four slot nose cone that is going on. But if any one has a good two slot nose cone drop me an email. Distance is not an object.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments.

I have spent some time lining up the nose cone properly today. Decided to bolt the nose cone on. I have four M10 fasteners in at the moment. I will be adding more but the fit is good.

Image0267.jpg

Image0268.jpg

Image0269.jpg

Image0270.jpg

I'm going to weld the nuts in place to make it easier to remove/replace the nose cone.

I was also thinking of sending the nose cone off to SPL to get all the rust removed and have it caoted. Has anyone had this done???

Edited by Snowy

I wouldn't bother wilth the SPL thingy. You can colour the inside when you paint and use satin black hammerite on the hidden stuff. The cone looks in good nick and the paint that is on there in the nooks and crannies is protecting the metal already.

Just my opinion, but you did ask!

Where ever there was a spot weld i will add a fastener, so vibration noise will not be an issue.

Also i 'm going to put some sort of sealant between the join before i bolt it up to help protect the main joint from corrosion.

The SPL idea was to give the nose cone some added protection. I'm still undecided on that one though.

Very interesting this removable nosecone, I've been pondering about the idea aswell a while back when I had to replace the nosecone on my coupe.

Might be a pretty good idea for my ascanta project, so in a day it kan be turned back into a manta :P

Keep up the good work on the cavvy and look forward to more photo's :thumbup

I am pleased, it's easy if you plan ahead.

Align the bonnet to the original wings and nose cone before you remove anything. Spend as long as it takes to get it right before a nut or bolt is removed. Measure the gaps that you have and note them down.

Once you have stripped the wings away and nose cone you can use the bonnet that you spent so long aligning as a datum for the wings and nose cone.

You even have measurements of what the panel gaps were before you started so you don’t sit there thinking 'That doesn't look right' later on.

It should all fall into place quite easy. Just spend that time in the beginning getting the bonnet right.