Front And Rear Screen Installation

guysat

remove the rubbers from the screens

clean the screens

get as much shit out of the rubbers as is possible ( loads of fun, sit down in front of the telly :lol: )

fit the clean rubber to the screen

put ( parachute ) cord/ strong string into the rubber around the edge where the frame will be on the rubber, starting from the top and overlapping twice

You can't put a screen in on your own ( watch this space for mantadoc saying i did/can :lol: )

put screen into aperture with the cord at the top on the inside

press gently on rubber on outside while pulling cord on inside, this will pull the rubber inside and over the screen opening, go easy on the corners.

Pull around twice ( that's why we double the cord)

Wiggle and press on the outside

Put filler strip in, frost do a dedicated filler strip tool ( you can borrow mine if you want to pick it up) Don't use a screwdriver you will f@@k your rubber

Seal the rubber using windscreen filler from autopaint

:thumbup

just as kev says but dont do as i did and use the screw driver.( thanks kev for reminding me) if you can afford it get a screen place to do it they charge £20 per window much easier than breaking your windscreen if you are not sure.

watch this space for mantadoc saying i did/can :lol:

I did / can.......well I couldn't refuse an invitation like that / can't disapoint my fans can I :P

One I prepared earlier

Now the clever bit isn't fitting the screen myself, it's making the time machine to go back in time and say I did ready for now ;)

Only things I generally do rightly or wrongly are:

1) Put sealer in the groove the screen fits in, kinda angled to the front

2) Put sealer behind the edge on the Outside of the rubber (where all the really sticky stuff is on a later Manta, you know the stuff with a fine cord frozen to it.

3) Use electrical wire (smooth pvc outer) these days as any rough cord or rope can leave marks on the inner rubber, especially if you do have an assistant and they push too hard, plus it pulls out smoothly.

I also overlap plenty and give it a twist to avoid the "cord" coming out when throwing it in, kinda more important on your own.

Frost do a cheap tool to put the insert in as I suppose do many others, the link in the link may be valid.

Hi

Thanks for your replies and advise. :thumbup

The method you all describe of placing the seal on screen and using cord/wire, was the method I was originally thinking of using.

But had an autoglass man round the other day to replace the windscreen in my wife’s car so I used the opportunity to ask his advise. He advised putting the seal on the car first then sliding the screen into the first half of rubber and then working the rubber over the screen......never heard of that one.

Guy

Rubber on glass every time for me, takes about 5-10 mins to get the screen in, and a while longer to get the trim in if you don't have the right tool.

I use electrical wire in the rubber (as i don't have any decent cord) and works well.

He advised putting the seal on the car first then sliding the screen into the first half of rubber and then working the rubber over the screen......never heard of that one.

Last year the rear screen on my manta was broken while it sat on the drive (think it was local kids throwing stones :angry: )

Anyway i was away for the week and had to get Auto-Windscreens to fit one of my spare screens.

My mate popped around to give them the screen and watch them fit it.

The guy took 1:30hr to do it and he fitted the rubber to the car and then fitted the screen into it.

He struggled so much doing it that way there was swearing :o

He had to ask my mate to help him in the end :lol:

I would normally want the rubbers and surrounds clean and dry barring the mastic, you know what a pain it is to stop a windscreen seal leaking once water has got in so I like to give it the best chance, that said I do use washing up liquid and water (it's slippier diluted!) when putting the insert in.

I used this when installing the rear screen the second time:

RS

It doesn't affect rubber or plastic and evaporates off after a short while. The first time I used washing up liquid and buggered the paint up underneath the rubber. I didn't use any sealing on the rear screen, not there was any there to begin with but it doesn't leak. I just used my fingers to manipulate the rubber over the edge. Couldn't feel the ends of them when I'd finished!

I'm planning on respraying my car this year and will be taking out the front screen and so have that little job to look forward to. Think I have a spare one somewhere....

I would normally want the rubbers and surrounds clean and dry barring the mastic, you know what a pain it is to stop a windscreen seal leaking once water has got in so I like to give it the best chance, that said I do use washing up liquid and water (it's slippier diluted!) when putting the insert in.

What type of Mastic are people using. I have I need one that does not set but stays supple...?

Frost do a tube of black semi-hardening sealer for this application. About seven quid a go, will do about four screens.

Never had leaks after, when you fit the finisher it squeezes out a bit extra to get a good seal.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8110&frostProductName=Black%20Windscreen%20Sealer%20%28380ml%29