Wheel 'bolt Pattern'

Achille

Hello again all from across the water,

If anone could excuse my ignorance (momentarily) and enlighten me as to what the bolt 'pattern' is on the Manta, circa 1974?

Decent enough looking "sport' style factory steelies are 13 inch x 4 lug but what is the 'spacing' between bolt centers?

Are there other manufacturers using the same, et c.

13" seems very small (though my '66 Barracuda left the factory with 13") while my '67 ALFA 1300 GT Jr had 15 ".

A 14 or 15" wheel would seem to be more "fitting"

Anyone could steer me to some good basic reading material on these autos I'll shut up and try to catch up.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

If anone could excuse my ignorance (momentarily) and enlighten me as to what the bolt 'pattern' is on the Manta, circa 1974?

Decent enough looking "sport' style factory steelies are 13 inch x 4 lug but what is the 'spacing' between bolt centers?

13" seems very small (though my '66 Barracuda left the factory with 13") while my '67 ALFA 1300 GT Jr had 15 ".

Anyone could steer me to some good basic reading material on these autos I'll shut up and try to catch up.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

Hi there,

You could try ' A brooklands Road Test Limited Edition ' Opel Manta 1970 - 1975. It comtains many road test including USA versions.

They did have US distributors - Car Tech 11481 Kost Dam Road, North Branch, MN 55056, phone 800 551 4754 or Motorbooks International, Osceola, Wisconsin,54020, phone 715 294 3345. This was some time ago but you never know.

Regards

Ian

Thanks all.

4 x 100 mm it is then.

Thanks for the 'the wheel santuary' info, is new to me.

Motorbooks International is good source yes, I should have remembered them.

I probably have a Road & Track magazine road test from the day buried somewhere.......:blink:

Aside from factory/dealer shop manuals is there any that are better than the minimal, Clymers, Haynes, et c ?

Still waiting to try to cinch this deal down definately, might try to take some real pictures tomorrow if the weather holds steady.

I guess I'm fairly well stoked, decent RWD Euro car 'projects' are getting scarce to say the least.

Cheers.

Aside from factory/dealer shop manuals is there any that are better than the minimal, Clymers, Haynes, et c ?

Cheers.

Joining the OMOC, as the wealth of experiance on here is fantastic. A lot of friendly people.

Rob

Hi there,

I wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of your Barracuda on here?

Ray.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

Thanks all.

4 x 100 mm it is then.

Thanks for the 'the wheel santuary' info, is new to me.

Motorbooks International is good source yes, I should have remembered them.

I probably have a Road & Track magazine road test from the day buried somewhere.......:blink:

Still waiting to try to cinch this deal down definately, might try to take some real pictures tomorrow if the weather holds steady.

I guess I'm fairly well stoked, decent RWD Euro car 'projects' are getting scarce to say the least.

Cheers.

Hi :)

Yes the Manta has 4x100mm lug pattern, and will take wheels from BMW (4 stud only) and alot of older 4 stud Honda and Toyota cars as well. Any Honda Civic from the 90´s will have rims that fit.

And you are quite right. 13" is very small and i can only say that the car will handle alot better with 15 or 16" wheels. 15" will propably be the easiest to get a hold of even in the US. Like theese (they are 14" however) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-1994-HONDA-DEL-SOL-ALLOY-WHEEL-RIM-14-/150594375874?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23101fd0c2#ht_500wt_975

A Haynes book should exist, otherwise the B series Manta´s are similar regarding engine, transmission, rear axle and wire codes / colours, brakes etc. The front suspension and the body are where they are not alike in any way..

Hi there,

I wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of your Barracuda on here?

Ray.

Hi Ray,

I wish I could oblige you with some pix.

I do have quite a few ( old type film pix) but I don't have access to them presently. If I can ever get to them I will certainly post them up.

I nearly cry out loud when I think about how I sold that one away; it was really a beauty in great original shape aside from the 273 V8 with Torqueflight and 8.75" Sure-Grip I put in place of the lowly slant six column shifter, 7.25 ring gear it left Hamtramak with!

With the 14" Chrysler Rallye* wheels and the dark green slightly 'metallic' paint it was starting to shape up nicely.

Those first series B'cudas had the largest piece of glass ever put in to an American production car, it was something like 12/14 square foot of rear window! :o

Excuse me ,I have to get a tissue.....

Hi :)

Yes the Manta has 4x100mm lug pattern, and will take wheels from BMW (4 stud only) and alot of older 4 stud Honda and Toyota cars as well. Any Honda Civic from the 90´s will have rims that fit.

And you are quite right. 13" is very small and i can only say that the car will handle alot better with 15 or 16" wheels. 15" will propably be the easiest to get a hold of even in the US. Like theese (they are 14" however) http://cgi.ebay.com/...c2#ht_500wt_975

A Haynes book should exist, otherwise the B series Manta´s are similar regarding engine, transmission, rear axle and wire codes / colours, brakes etc. The front suspension and the body are where they are not alike in any way..

Thanks Monzta, that really opens up the options nicely! Those "Rostyle" wheels aren't really so bad looking but definately too small.

Either a 14 or 15" wheel would seem about right.

Thanks again all,cheers.

You can check on here for more 4X100 Wheel Compatibility

http://www.carlsalte...l_fitments.html

Thanks 356, that's a great link.

Too bad my beloved FIAT are on the 98 mm centers.

But there are obviously enormous choice of wheels in 4x100.

Cheerios,

Joining the OMOC, as the wealth of experiance on here is fantastic. A lot of friendly people.

Rob

Yes, this is quite apparent and I appreciate it, thankyous again.

It greatly resembles the Honda CX 500 forum I haunt ocassionally and actually uses the same format/software( or WETF one calls it)

Cheers,

"A"

Thanks Monzta, that really opens up the options nicely! Those "Rostyle" wheels aren't really so bad looking but definately too small.

Either a 14 or 15" wheel would seem about right.

Thanks again all,cheers.

Thanks 356, that's a great link.

Too bad my beloved FIAT are on the 98 mm centers.

But there are obviously enormous choice of wheels in 4x100.

Cheerios,

Yes, this is quite apparent and I appreciate it, thankyous again.

It greatly resembles the Honda CX 500 forum I haunt ocassionally and actually uses the same format/software( or WETF one calls it)

Cheers,

"A"

Fiat and Alfa wheels are usable on a Manta if you buy special bolts with excentric centering and vise versa. biggrin.gif

However the Manta isn´t hard to change the PCD on at all. Can be done on the original items of the car. The front wheel hub and the rear axels. I had mine remade to accomodate 4x114,3mm pcd as i drive 18" front and 19" rear alloys from a Nissan.

So you could remake the PCD for 5 x120mm (chevy) to take on some of those classic american muscle wheels or something ? A set of IROC Z 15" from a third gen camaro would look super nice on a A :)

Edited by monzta

So basically you have a 4 x 100 bolt pattern with an et30 offset.

Unsure of original tyre size on the 13" rims on the A series Manta's but I know the later B's were 185-70-13

So knowing the overall diameter/wheel/tyre size you can keep everything in order if fitting bigger wheels to keep the correct rolling circumference so speedo is still correct.

Also by working with the offset, you can calculate what will actually sit right in the arches too, I'd be very surprised if you don't know all this, but the world and it's lobster seem to be posting up a lot of info most of which i would find irrelevant if I had posted up your question.

All well and good that there are a lot of FWD wheels that have the same PCD, but unfortunately have a terrible offset such as the Vauxhall/Opel (GM Europe) FWd cars that have an ET49, not only does this throw the wheel inboard on the Manta, but most of the Vaux/opel FWD wheels look absolute crap on the Manta, as well as many other wheels off of FWD cars.

Here in the UK there are now a lot of period alloys being reproduced but in bigger sizes i.e in the early nineties you could buy some nice MASSIVE 14" dished crosspoke alloys to fit the Manta B, these are now being reproduced in 17" flavour.

So there would not be such a great need for myself to go having hubs machined and driveshafts removed from rear axles etc, for me to fit some decent wheels.

Just thought I'd post that up to keep the thread on simple line of things rather than scaring people off in thinking it would be hell to fit a decent wheel.

So basically you have a 4 x 100 bolt pattern with an et30 offset.

Unsure of original tyre size on the 13" rims on the A series Manta's but I know the later B's were 185-70-13

So knowing the overall diameter/wheel/tyre size you can keep everything in order if fitting bigger wheels to keep the correct rolling circumference so speedo is still correct.

Also by working with the offset, you can calculate what will actually sit right in the arches too, I'd be very surprised if you don't know all this, but the world and it's lobster seem to be posting up a lot of info most of which i would find irrelevant if I had posted up your question.

All well and good that there are a lot of FWD wheels that have the same PCD, but unfortunately have a terrible offset such as the Vauxhall/Opel (GM Europe) FWd cars that have an ET49, not only does this throw the wheel inboard on the Manta, but most of the Vaux/opel FWD wheels look absolute crap on the Manta, as well as many other wheels off of FWD cars.

Here in the UK there are now a lot of period alloys being reproduced but in bigger sizes i.e in the early nineties you could buy some nice MASSIVE 14" dished crosspoke alloys to fit the Manta B, these are now being reproduced in 17" flavour.

So there would not be such a great need for myself to go having hubs machined and driveshafts removed from rear axles etc, for me to fit some decent wheels.

Just thought I'd post that up to keep the thread on simple line of things rather than scaring people off in thinking it would be hell to fit a decent wheel.

Opel 2000 - if you read my posts on this subject you will find that i have been trying to help in any way possible. I´m not at all trying to scare the bloke, but i just wanted to let him know that there are more options to consider. If you do some research you will find that there is t much to choose from in the US if you insist that the wheels should be GM 4x100. Thats exactly why i suggest some BMW wheels first as theese often have a nice offset. Honda and Toyota 4x100 has higher offsets but spacers could take care of that issue. Last but not least im telling the guy that if he finds some rims that he thinks would look sweet on a A series car, he isn´t limited by the original PCD. All im doing here is telling the guy he have got more options than the ones obvious.

The US opelfans are not as lucky as us here in the EU to have every other scrapper easily supply us with rims in 4x100...

Monzta....

Appreciate what you are saying, but in my line of thinking I would first off supply the basic needed information of PCD, ET, and original wheel/tyre size, followed by suitable fitments off of other cars i.e VW, BMW, as of all the fitments available off of other cars the VW and BMW possibly have the most suitable wheels for a Manta.

Was trying to get the thread back on track to basic information, as the original tyre/wheel size had not been supplied by anyone neither had the offset, all well and good telling people that "they can do this", and "do that", and fit 19" Nissan fitment alloys, but basic information first is a must and hadn't been supplied.

Other people will read this thread and gain information from it not just the original enquirer, and tbh the last reply was a light dig at people that know this info but had failed to put that info up but had gone off on a tangent telling people what they had done, as I said the chap was originally asking for basic advice.

:thumbup

Monzta....

Appreciate what you are saying, but in my line of thinking I would first off supply the basic needed information of PCD, ET, and original wheel/tyre size, followed by suitable fitments off of other cars i.e VW, BMW, as of all the fitments available off of other cars the VW and BMW possibly have the most suitable wheels for a Manta.

Was trying to get the thread back on track to basic information, as the original tyre/wheel size had not been supplied by anyone neither had the offset, all well and good telling people that "they can do this", and "do that", and fit 19" Nissan fitment alloys, but basic information first is a must and hadn't been supplied.

Other people will read this thread and gain information from it not just the original enquirer, and tbh the last reply was a light dig at people that know this info but had failed to put that info up but had gone off on a tangent telling people what they had done, as I said the chap was originally asking for basic advice.

:thumbup

thumbsup.gifCheers mate cool.gif

I agree. However to keep the thread on subject, VW wheels actually have a very high offset, making them a choice that should be combined with spacers. This also go for the Toyota and Honda rims. BMW is without doubt a very good choice. They have a offset that makes them look great on a A series (or B series) car, and classic BBS / Mahle rims which look absolutely stunning on these cars.

Another car that also uses 4x100 boltpattern in the US is the Mazda Miata (mx5).

A quick search on ebay.com gives you 341 results in wheels with 4x100mm pcd in the used section. Alot more is available from new :)

VW wheels actually have a very high offset, making them a choice that should be combined with spacers. This also go for the Toyota and Honda rims. BMW is without doubt a very good choice. They have a offset that makes them look great on a A series (or B series) car, and classic BBS / Mahle rims which look absolutely stunning on these cars.

Never knew that about the VW Wheels, I've often looked at some of the wheels fitted to VW's and thought how much they would suit the Manta. And couldn't agree more with the rest of your comment above :thumbup

Never knew that about the VW Wheels, I've often looked at some of the wheels fitted to VW's and thought how much they would suit the Manta. And couldn't agree more with the rest of your comment above :thumbup

Yeah some of them do look very good, also for the Manta´s but the original VW BBS have like ET 45 on 7x15" and ET 35 on 6,5x15" :) It´s absolutely still an option, but spacers should be used :)

Yeah, but 14" Wolfrace slots are as rare as rockinghorse lumps in 4 x 100mm.

So if any of you dudes spot any on your travels please let me know. :thumbup

Gotta be 100mm though, 4" are unuseable due to deep fit Wolfrace wheel nuts.

Edited by plumster

Yeah, but 14" Wolfrace slots are as rare as rockinghorse lumps in 4 x 100mm.

So if any of you dudes spot any on your travels please let me know. :thumbup

Gotta be 100mm though, 4" are unuseable due to deep fit Wolfrace wheel nuts.

Yeah those indy slot mags are very hard to find in 4x100. I had a set og 6x14 ET0 some years ago, fittet a A very nicely :).

By the way, i believe this is at a location in Sweden, some bloke has just been collecting those things for decades

20091207_213045_a5b7_3.jpg

Edited by monzta

bloody hell plumster would love to get in that yard.

dont forget good old mim alloys for mk2 golf et 13 in 15 inch fit a manta a and b perfect with same centre hole 57.1mm, got my set for £75 had a blast and powder coating black for £30 per wheel. :)

bloody hell plumster would love to get in that yard.

dont forget good old mim alloys for mk2 golf et 13 in 15 inch fit a manta a and b perfect with same centre hole 57.1mm, got my set for £75 had a blast and powder coating black for £30 per wheel. :)

Yes they are a perfect fit, have used them on several cars. But they are not original VW items, they are BMW E30 rims rolleyes.gif VW in general have a very high offset (40+).

2011-01-03152619.jpg