When To Buy An Opel Manta?

Jack

Ascona info, loads of ascona peeps on here

Monza....................Oh..............it's the........ Autobarnstormers......................but be aware you are messing with big boys with big pockets when you look for a Monza

Fuel injection is much better than carbs, take it this way.....

Fire can be created by rubbing sticks together ( carb) but it's much better using a lighter (EFI)

Edited by Kevin Abbott

lol, to be honest Kevin i'm mainly going to be owning mantas not asconas and monzas, i just like them alot.

would any of you guys recommend a manta for an everyday car or first car? Never seen anybody use one really as an everyday vehicle.Unless i use public transport to work and just have a manta.

or I can wait and buy both ha.

jack

Edited by Jack

Perefectly possible to use a Manta or Cav for that matter as an every day car, however if you use it during the winter with salt on the roads then you'll end up with a Fred Flintstone car in no time :)

As some previous posters have said a good inexpensive way into ownership would be to get a Cav coupe or hatch.

Heres a pic of a Cav i owned recently. sold it for £950

Cavalier%25201.6%2520GLS.jpg

ah ok, i didnt want to destroy or ruin a good manta with salt roads by using it everyday, but i guess i'll have a look into it with the insurance and see what i can do. maybe buying a small car for my run about car cheaply and then investing in a manta which is what i aim to do.

many regards,

jack.

Hi Dave,

I love the i200's they are very rare and awesome cars it would be a total dream to own one for myself. hope that day comes!

Tax isnt even on my worry list because its a cheap thing to pay its mainly insurance and a place to keep it, but if i do what i need to do that wont be a problem.

when you said that rabs care is gorgous, you talking about his i200? and is that a google picture of a b series or do u know where to find them?

thanks for the reply,

jack.

Jack, I meant Rab's i200 is gorgeous yes. And that picture of a loud green B series (carb model with no problems) is mine mate!

Been using it as my daily driver this week too, enjoyed it as the weathers been great in Essex. Back to Astra next week though. :(

Dave

hi,jack the manta hatch makes a great everyday car ,and you can chuck loads in the boot .even more with the back seat folded down you can sleep in there if you wanted. ive always had hatches although not by choice really i was once looking for a coupe and still ended up with a hatch.

i had my first at age 19 i thought i was the dogs in that,all me mates had xr3is and golfs and that but i prefered my manta and still do even at the old bastard age of 40 mantas have never left me.

my 25 year old ,and still unrestored manta costs me £11 a month to insure on and agreed value limited milage policy . i only tax it six months of the year , the rest of the year shes tucked away in the garage . only thing i find is if i decied to have a heavy right foot im putting in more petrol than i should be but hey thats part of the fun.

DSCF0290.jpg

good luck in finding a nice one mate ,im sure you will . paul :)

• 2 weeks later...

Jack, There's a really nice Manta coupe for sale in Barnsley at the moment. It's just had a full restoration which has been displayed on here in the projects section. This car usually attends our monthly meet at the Toby Carvery ( Used to be the Bowshaw Inn ) at the top of Dronfield. Alternatively... There's also a gold Manta hatch restoration project for sale at a good price in Leek, which is about an hours drive away from you, over past Baslow and then Buxton. There are quite a few Mantas and Cavaliers in our area. There's an Orange 16V coupe in Coal Aston owned by Andy and a Gold GT hatch up at Hilltop ( Dronfield ) owned by Joel. Have you seen those two Mk1 Cavaliers on the left as you head up towards the Sheffield end of Dronfield? The bloke that owns these is restoring another Mk1 Cavalier at the moment. There are at least six Manta's in Chesterfield and at least five in Sheffield. I'd think it would be pretty easy to find one nearby..... Luke.

Hi Luke,

Sorry for the late reply mate I have had computer issues and what not hindering my online capabilities. I didn't realise that you have a monthly meeting at the toby carvery?! I'm about 2 mins from there. Hilltop is about 2 secs away from me and never even assumed that mantas would be near me thats amazing. Where are you finding this information and thanks very much for it mate as I thought they would be difficult to find in good shape.

Also do you know anything about the i200 model? I absolutely yurn to own one in the future.

Many thanks,

-Jack,

Jack,

I've been into Mantas for about 8 years or so and stumbled across most of these other cars and their owners on my travels. As for the I200 models, I don't know much about them really. There used to be a bloke who had one in Bolsover and used to break Mantas up before I was into them. I found his house but he'd moved on years ago. I also heard about another one in Shirebrook ( Mansfield ) that a " Friend of a friend " had bought cheap but then heard later that it was a replica. It had a good registration number that was something like A12 00U ( a i200 u ). Call in at the Toby carvery next Thursday evening if you like. ...Luke.

Hi Luke,

I've personally been into mantas all my life and i'm now 20 years old. Originally, my uncle has always owned them for concors e.t.c and the general brilliance of them and then my dad owned one for several years. So i was in a win win situation of never been out of a manta on a daily basis, I just can't tell you how excited I will be when I am finally sat behind a steering wheel in the drivers seat of a manta and going for a drive the very first time.

Whats happening and what time do i need to be at the toby carvery next thursday?

Cheers mate,

Jack.

Jack,

Did your Dad or Uncle own a Red GT/E coupe that used to park at the bottom of the road leading up to Coal aston? I remember seeing a really tidy one parked there about 6 years ago. I also used to own a Chevette rally car that came from Dronfield. This one used to be rallied in the eighties and was owned by a bloke called Paul Screaton, who lives near the Police station in Dronfield. Does your Dad remember seeing this one flying around. It was a dark Red and was sponsored by Alpine colour film processing, with green and white stripes along its sides and over the roof. This Chevette is now long gone unfortunately but most of its rally bits live on, fitted to a mate's Kadett coupe at Stocksbridge.

The pub meet starts at around 7.30PM. It's not a car show, just a few people rattling on about what's broken off their Mantas last month and how their project cars are coming along. I don't know who's coming along and the numbers of people are different each month. Still, if you're wanting a car soon, then this meet would probably be a good place to start as the people who attend it know where most of the local cars are and what's for sale.

A couple of the lads who attend have recently sold their Mantas and all of them were sensible prices. Paul from Barnsley sold a really good Red Exclusive GT/E coupe that had a Carbon wrapped bonnet and 15" Compomotives. Paul from Doncaster recently sold an absolutely immaculate GT/E hatch that was lowered and had just been restored and Mick, also from Barnsley has only just sold his really early B series coupe. This car was heavily modified and had only just been finished, much like Doncaster Paul's car. Mick's car was running twin Weber carbs and was a really deep Orange with 15" Revolution five spoke wheels. All of these cars were sold taxed and tested, so ready to drive without any restoration or repair work needing doing. See you on Thursday... Luke.

Hi Luke,

Yes my uncle used to own an immaculate original red gte coupe and he lives up in new mills. If you have seen it in coal aston then he was probably dropping me off from a car show somewhere. My dad had a blue gte hatchback which had a lower front spoiler from irmscher and eventually was sold to some blokes in suits who were going to restore it again.

Over the years my uncle has owned 7 mantas including some earlier b series models with the square headlights which had working wipers on them and incidently the best one he has owned was his last one. It was a blue gte exclusive which had been restored previously "E100 0MM". It was sold to chris burt after our last billing trip.

I'll see what I am doing thursday.

Cheers,

Jack.

• 2 years later...

Just read through this thread again and it is fantastic reading through my second ever post. I can remember how desperate I was at the time to have one and didnt have any money. Now I have my own Manta Hatch and as Kevin said and some people in this thread said I did eventually end up owning a Hatch. I would love to come up to the toby carvery meet but I presume it is no longer on? I live about 1 min drive from it.