Opel Manta A Series Hot Rod (Beast)

DiMarco

The body, chassie and running gear, I'm very happy with and will give many years service if mentained corectly. However, the engine ,gearbox and rear axel are unknowns, apart from a general service ( oil,filters ect ) no work has been done to them and as the car was last on the road 6+ years ago, I can see there will probably be some more teething problems to come.

As Nick is planing to drive it home on Saturday, I have adviced him to take out some brakedown cover, hope he doesn't need it, the car ran fine to and from the MOT station, but a 70 mile Maiden run after a 6+ year lay up could see teething problems showing up.

The body, chassie and running gear, I'm very happy with and will give many years service if mentained corectly. However, the engine ,gearbox and rear axel are unknowns, apart from a general service ( oil,filters ect ) no work has been done to them and as the car was last on the road 6+ years ago, I can see there will probably be some more teething problems to come.

As Nick is planing to drive it home on Saturday, I have adviced him to take out some brakedown cover, hope he doesn't need it, the car ran fine to and from the MOT station, but a 70 mile Maiden run after a 6+ year lay up could see teething problems showing up.

Lucky enough the insurance company I am with I get brake down cover included so all gravy. I also believe all classic cars get brake down cover with the policy.

• Like 2

It is going to be a interesting drive back as it is a hole new way of driving. Fixed rear diff no traction control just you and the car with lots of power lol. Hoping one tank will get me back :D

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 1

Bet your dead excited about its maiden voyage. Maybe feeling a tad nervous too?

yes mate I am I am a little worried that she wont make it back lol as like chris said she hasn't been ran properly for over 7 years. But also she is kicking out a lot of power plus she has a welded rear diff so both wheels no matter what move at the same time.

Well they say everything happens in 3s. Got on the train to chris and looks like someone jumped in front of a train on my route so I had to take an 1:30 detour. Finally got to chris's and after a cupper and a chin wag I started her up and set off on my merry way home or so I thought. I got 30 mins in when the engine died. At this point I was on a busy dual carriageway but lucky enough in the slow lane. I pulled over and tried to start the car and there was nothing no power there so only thing for it was call the brake down cover that was number 2. I waited out of the car for 3 hours in the freezing cold waiting for recovery truck. He then arrives and to be honest wasn't that pleased with the service. He then took me and the manta to Warick service station and then told me that he cant take me to my home in didcot as he is the only mechanic on call there so he will call another one of his driver to collect me. This is the 3rd part all what he said is ball shit he drove off and I got a text saying your next driver will be collecting at 6:30 that was 4 and a half hours away and it was another company at this point I am froze and more pissed than you can get. The thoughts of what I planned on doing to the car where not good getting rid of it and all sorts. I rang the brake down and told them that this time was unacceptable but they didn't give a shit. So 4 hours later the driver turns up have to say really nice guy had a good chat and a laugh on the way back. He was also kind enough to help me push the car into the garage. Today was one hell of a shit day but I have her back here now so can sort her out as and when.