Opel Manta A Series Hot Rod (Beast)

DiMarco

Sorry to hear about this Nick, :/ I really hoped that the journey would be better luck for you. I know we expected teething problems for obvious reasons but not a disaster and waiting hours on end in freezing cold weather. I genuinely know the feeling though, my beloved Hatch had an alternator problem in the same week I got it (think the long 3 hour drive to bring it home when I bought it killed it) but it is a horrid feeling. The worst part for me was when I pulled into a petrol station, couldnt even get the filler cap off as there was surface rust on it which is now fine but when I eventually got it off my Manta was dead. No power or nothing and it is a rock bottom feeling so I sympathize for anyone who has Manta troubles but you just have to hang in there! Try to keep your chin up mate it will all be okay and get sorted out :)

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about this Nick, :/ I really hoped that the journey would be better luck for you. I know we expected teething problems for obvious reasons but not a disaster and waiting hours on end in freezing cold weather. I genuinely know the feeling though, my beloved Hatch had an alternator problem in the same week I got it (think the long 3 hour drive to bring it home when I bought it killed it) but it is a horrid feeling. The worst part for me was when I pulled into a petrol station, couldnt even get the filler cap off as there was surface rust on it which is now fine but when I eventually got it off my Manta was dead. No power or nothing and it is a rock bottom feeling so I sympathize for anyone who has Manta troubles but you just have to hang in there! Try to keep your chin up mate it will all be okay and get sorted out :)

Well now I have calmed down mate I will be looking into why this happened but will have to see on the other things also as it does need some other work.

It is possibly something to do with wirring, the loom had been chopped about and was a nightmare to try and follow, I did my best to tidy it up and all seemed OK while running the car in the garage and on the short drive to the mot. If its not the alternator then sounds like a drain on the battery,check the engine to chassis earth strap and wirring to starter as it may have got too hot as there is little room in the engine bay.

You also need to fully understand the varable ignition system fitted as if set incorectly this could also possibly cause problems.

Ok well I have sorted the starting problem but I just have a few little things to do to it first. I have now got the wheels off the back to get repaired and polished then I will get getting new front wheels that are close but not the same. Still got a few areas of the car to sort out then she will be in her magazine.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has been a few weeks since my last post. Found out that the reason she broke down which was a silly point on my part she round out of fuel. But in my defence the gauge read full and still reads full. So with more fuel in the tank she starts up and runs how she should. I have her booked in today for the exhaust and manifolds at a company more close to me. When I put fuel in the tank today it came up to £80 and that wasn't full lol. When on the way down to the exhaust place I had a chance to put my foot down and really open her up. I have to say WOW the sound and the pick up I got pushed into my seat quite a bit lol. I love it she has been a pain in my ass but the time that I get in and drive it that feeling goes away lol.

On the trip there was quite a noise from the gearbox which sounded like it was slipping. If it was a manual I would say the clutch is on its way out as it slips then engages. So I am planning on getting the box looked at when they take the engine out to do the manifolds.

• Like 1

Oops, we all have our silly moments nick

Glad to hear you've opened her up! Awesome.

Checked the oil level in the box?

Yeah it might be but the dipstick isn't the correct one. But I will get a auto transmission place to get them to give it the once over. they also do a service to them so will see come back with. Below is the site.

http://3dautomatictransmissions.co.uk/

Found out that the reason she broke down which was a silly point on my part she round out of fuel.

Shit mate and you were sat at the petrol station for 4 hours as well.

Glad you got her sorted and she puts a big grin on your face.

Looks like I might have found a second hand gearbox as to recon mine it is going to be over a grand. But luckly it looks as though a few people on rods and sods have these boxes. By what I have been told by a auto trans company the torque converter could be the problem with the over heating as the stall speed is at 3500RPM and when I am driving her normally say 30-40 she is only at 2000-2500 RPM.

Nick if you get a s/h box make sure you get a new filter and pan gasket for it. If the oil in the "new: box is blackened or very dark, it needs a rebuild. If the oil smells  burnt - it is so should be avoided if you dont want to spend money on rebuild. I could build your s for half what youve been quoted but I wont have time for a while.

Tony

Nick if you get a s/h box make sure you get a new filter and pan gasket for it. If the oil in the "new: box is blackened or very dark, it needs a rebuild. If the oil smells  burnt - it is so should be avoided if you dont want to spend money on rebuild. I could build your s for half what youve been quoted but I wont have time for a while.

Tony

Hello Tony,

Wow I didn't know you would be able to rebuild a Auto box mate :). Ok if it is something you are able to do when do you think you would be able to do it?

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Engine if coming out of the car next week to get the manifolds made. Now have the design of the exhaust all sorted.

Have now found a new gearbox and torque converter which took a long time to search out. This will be getting purchase this weekend.

• Like 1

Hi Nick thought I would drop in again and see how you are getting on. Is it just a few jobs to do now that are left and then its all sorted? I went down to Chris's for the second time last sunday to get my exhaust fitted and he also put my new winding mechanism in too. I have a Sportex system on now and love it :) Mine has come a long way and it has been a journey since I first got it, its the best it has ever been and it found the right home :D

Jack

Hi Nick thought I would drop in again and see how you are getting on. Is it just a few jobs to do now that are left and then its all sorted? I went down to Chris's for the second time last sunday to get my exhaust fitted and he also put my new winding mechanism in too. I have a Sportex system on now and love it :) Mine has come a long way and it has been a journey since I first got it, its the best it has ever been and it found the right home :D

Jack

Nice one jack I bet she sounds very throaty now mate.  What have you done to yours now buddy are they things to put your own touch onto it or is it things that have failed?

Yes I love the sound of her now and I have been out in her all afternoon today because of the snow I havent been able to drive her that much when it came down. The winding mechanism failed so I have a cleaner better one in now. The alternator failed but will be getting my one reconditioned as I am using one off another Manta. My Manta is better now than it has been for a long time because it hadnt had any work done for 9 months before I bought her. I like all the heads she turns with her new exhaust :D

Box now found was looking on rods and sods and asking people on there. Got some pictures sent to me so compared it to another I saw on ebay which wasn't the same as mind. Then low and behold an exact box was on ebay with torque converter and flex plate what are the odds :D. now all sorted

Box now found was looking on rods and sods and asking people on there. Got some pictures sent to me so compared it to another I saw on ebay which wasn't the same as mind. Then low and behold an exact box was on ebay with torque converter and flex plate what are the odds :D. now all sorted

Great news Nick, sounds like it's all coming together now.