Retirement Project

oldwheels

Looking Good Mate :thumbup  ,

You`re Garage is Perfect :P , I`m Working Outside :D  :D

10557430_10205432885596957_1200929826374

CutOff1.jpg

My garage (umbrella when raining) and my fire extinguisher (water bottle) when not using the MIG Co2 as one :) (circa 2006)

I am all for someone getting a Manta into a reasonable condition and using it, Heck i even went to Billing in my red 1800 hatch 'Britney' complete with replacement white doors !!!

White doors! I would have been glad of white door, luxury, Daily drive looked like this for a few years

multi.jpg

Point being Mantas are for using, good to see another on the road back to the erm road.

• Like 3

multi.jpg

Mantadoc, this Manta really appeals to me, i like a car that appears on it's last legs but underneath is structually and mechanically sound.

My Carlton has areas of different coloured paint where i have reversing the addvance of the tin worm, colleages at work say "when are you going to get a modern car?" i say "it is a modern car, it has pnumatic tires and electric lamps!!"

colleages at work say "when are you going to get a modern car?" i say "it is a modern car, it has pnumatic tires and electric lamps!!"

I used to have similar, people saying how does my car pass an MOT when there's does not. I answered "Because you bought a pretty car based on a shiny coat of paint and mine has a floor".
  • Like 1

Well I have not updated for a while but the work has been still going on, since purchasing the Manta it has been decided that we shall be moving house :(  :(  12 moves in 25 years of marriage, in the past this has meant the sale of the Manta not this time her indoors has said it stays and will be transported :)  :) 

Well sutty you considered it are you glad you did not purchase it

Jack the restoration is ahead of this post but other things keep getting in the way

Mantadoc as I have said to old to work outside and to wet in Cornwall good on you

this is bodywork in a small garage

DSCF4886_zpszvkicfz9.jpg

DSCF4882_zpswoflt2qp.jpg

DSCF4858_zpsyzn0scc0.jpg

DSCF4856_zpsimzm4sgx.jpg

some primer and a quick wash thanks to other half then a thorough dry

DSCF4867_zps0hgijhh8.jpg

small repair to roof

DSCF4900_zpsrjfqnivh.jpg

all masked

DSCF4902_zpszfjfpqyy.jpg

all painted

DSCF4905_zps0uu4ydjl.jpg

I realise that I am asking a lot doing this in my garage but a full professional re spray is well out of my reach so here goes

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a small garage :-) I painted my A series in mine quite a few years ago and it lasted for about 6 years before it showed sigs of needing work and am doing a full restore in it again.

At least its dry and a bit warmer!

Looks like yours is starting to come together now!

andy

IMG_20130518_170503.jpg

• Like 1

Well sutty you considered it are you glad you did not purchase it

In a way, yes. Got too many old opels to get back on the road. It would have ended up waiting in line with the rest of them haha

• 1 month later...

Well we are still working  down here in Cornwall, thanks for all the comments and encouragement

Few repairs to do in the boot

DSCF4891_zpsm1kmshwd.jpg

DSCF4892_zpsqafgh08w.jpg

Lots of grinding thank goodness for the mig

DSCF4894_zpsame3khd1.jpg

Paint to stop more rust

DSCF4896%20-%20Copy_zps7hvh8ux9.jpg

As the house has sold I was under pressure so the respray is going to be a bit of a rush it may have to be revisited in the future

DSCF4890_zpsda33dpih.jpg

The joys of a small garage

DSCF4898_zpsp0jk3ag6.jpg

DSCF4897_zpsd2wvtjev.jpg

Respray in stages

DSCF4907_zps3qj8tyjd.jpg

DSCF4908_zpsxabaydsx.jpg

Nearly there

DSCF4920_zpsbry4wvrt.jpg

• Like 3

That looks really good, if someone were to inspect it very closely then they might be able find fault but that looks fine to me.

Immportantly It's another Manta back on the road and in a very presentable condition.

And dare i say it.... done in time to make an appearance at Billing??  go on, you know want to !!!

Thanks Mantaman, the respray leaves a lot to desired but this was always going to be a budget rebuild and a garage that is less than 8 feet wide did not help, that is my excuse anyway as I said it can be revisited at a later date, as for billing I will be moving house soon so not really possible, also I would like it to be finished to a better standard before it is shown to the experts.

Respray  complete, bonnet finish not so good

DSCF4962_zpstxrkdcpr.jpg

needs a large tin of filler I think :o 

DSCF4977_zpsodnfsm0g.jpg

I wanted a 400 bonnet but could not find a s/h one new £250 + answer buy a 400 fibreglass skin

Remove skin from dented bonnet

DSCF4980_zpsw4kscv2z.jpg

Trim around the edge

DSCF4981_zpshe6vo4n9.jpg

Some more trimming and lots of Tiger seal

DSCF4983_zpss9jfteqj.jpg

Some paint

DSCF4985_zpsd83jdfhh.jpg

More paint

DSCF4987_zpse3xcaol9.jpg

In the past I had a fibreglass 400 bonnet fly up on me :huh: :huh:  I now have the looks of 400 Bonnet with all the security of steel frame plus original hinges, lock and safety catch and half the price :) :)  :)  

• Like 4

also I would like it to be finished to a better standard before it is shown to the experts.

Do not be worried about this, because you have done such a good job with so little in the way of facilities in such a short time you will get much more respect than you'd imagine, and it does not matter if your Manta is not perfection, it really does look good now it's all back together and immportantly it is another Manta back blasting along the Highways of the UK.

I had a Manta once that was resprayed Black, i did the wheels exclusive style, silver rims but used the same black paint as the bodywork for the centers, this really worked well, makes the wheels look bigger, i decided to leave all the decals off it because it looked so good plain, i wish i had a quid for everyone who asked me what car it was !!!

Now you can enjoy the (Opel) fruits of your labours !!!

Edited by MANTAMAN
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have read your project again and when I saw it painted I thought it looked very good. Sure it won't be a professional job but it looks highly presentable and if I had done this all by myself I would be hugely proud. Well done on bringing this Manta back to life.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments and mantaman thanks for the ideas, good idea with the wheels, the bonnet came from Smith and Deakin and I felt not bad for a fibreglass panel.

Well six months of hard work, some of it rushed towards the end but it was all worth it :)  :)  :) :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :) 

DSCF5140_zpsdmaaljsd.jpg

Yes a MOT Certificate the car has been unused for 10 years MOT tester had to adjust the headlights and bend the locking tabs over on steering rack bolts, three advisories small chip in windscreen, cracked nearside door mirror and small cut in one tyre, now its on the road, well almost it got very hot during the test so another radiator was needed.

new s/h radiator thanks to spiney_norman and OMOC Forum

new and old

DSCF5141_zps5wxaw8ld.jpg

Bonnet fitted

DSCF4997_zps4etmc4ba.jpg

• Like 2

Great news that it has a MOT and is back on the road and in record time, it really is a shame that you won't be at Billing, you deserve a special award for doing so much, with so little in such a short space of time. ( Never in the field of Manta restoration has so much been done, so quickly by so few etc !!)

One the subject of the black centered wheels i found this picture -

Myself%20and%20sister%20two%20Mantas.jpg

Who is that very young man?? this must be at least twenty years ago at Billing before i started camping there all weekend ( always clashed with the big Duxford Airshow weekend which myself and father helped at on saturday )

Also in the picture with the grey hatch is my sister (you have a.... SISTER, Obewan's failure is complete) i did the wheels the same way with that Manta which i think may have even worked better than my black Manta.

• Like 1

Thanks Mantaman for the encouragement and the picture, may well copy that idea in the future, careful masking needed I think.

Well before going any further I thought I should get the vax machine out and freshen up the interior

Not looking to bad in the photo but was very dirty

DSCF5011_zps26b5j2bl.jpg

Much better

DSCF5021_zpsacxnesfr.jpg

10 years since it has been on the road apart from MOT only just up the road, So I decided to stay close to home in case of problems, enjoy some Cornish countryside and the sunshine and take some photos 

DSCF5175_zps3ud7lwyb.jpg

DSCF5183_zpsj6bfpsjt.jpg

A bit of variety

DSCF5182_zpsnur1jyjt.jpg

DSCF5198_zpsfaezhvss.jpg

Cornish engine house

DSCF5156_zps1lybfc7y.jpg

Yes I am proud, only problem  my MANTA was accused of being a F--D  CAPRI :angry:  :angry: :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

DSCF5201_zpsdwhzowkc.jpg

DSCF5184_zpsnnmptb4v.jpg

DSCF5181_zpszajh6gti.jpg

Wish it was a special stage

DSCF5191_zpsig9w7zrb.jpg

• Like 9

great pictures, which part of Cornwall were they taken? i do know Cornwall quite well as i have been on holiday there many times.

You'll have arrange a visit to the Cornish Manta Sanctury at Crowlas and show Paul Newport your efforts, you may even get a glimps of one of his secret projects through a gap in door....

This Manta so reminds me of the coupe i had, no identification, not having any lettering on the Manta does not break up it's lines, really shows the shape at it's best.

When i was driving my plain coupe i would have liked a quid for everyone who asked me what it was !!! and yes there were plenty of people who thought it was a For... Fro... Fo... Crapi !!!

Are you sure things like moving house are more important than enjoying a weekends P!55 UP, sorry i mean car show at Billing !! i would really like to see this Manta and i'm sure several other people on here would as well, and no it would not disgrace itself, this finnish is more than presentable.

• Like 1

Thanks Mantaman, pics were taken at Carn brea, just up the road from where I live, 2 mile outside Redruth its a local landmark the castle is now a restaurant.  Re Billing I would like to have a close look at some of the great cars in the club, but with an imminent house move it would be to much.

After its first run out there was a few problems

Running very hot, When I changed the Radiator the cooling system was full of very rusty water, I removed all the hoses and flushed with a hose, not good enough still ran hot decided to change water pump,

DSCF5284_zpsr0e1d3er.jpg

now I can see why

DSCF5281_zpsmvxvpjio.jpg

the good and bad

DSCF5285_zpskpxhkerq.jpg

Went for a 10 mile run no problem now runs nice and cool.

Fuel gauge not working

DSCF5279_zpseragrnwe.jpg

Glad it is not a modern car

DSCF5277_zpsv1cnfadc.jpg

other problems which will have to be addressed

4 very worn Shocks would like some uprated ones

A couple of very noisy tappets on tickover when hot

A brake conversion, need some Audi discs. 

Very noisy fuel pump perhaps due to using Mini exhaust mounts as original ones knackered also I had to remove the damper so do need one of those

Heavy steering, probably old age, perhaps a power steering conversion in the future

Being a boy racer at heart, ( an old one my wife would say)I would like a larger bore exhaust just to give the car a little more character

Then a more powerful engine 150 bhp would be perfect

So I have lots of plans now where is that lottery ticket

DSCF5184_zpsnnmptb4v.jpg

I know that end of Cornwall very well, i have stayed at Penzance, Carbis Bay, The Towens and toured all over the area.

You are not far from The Cornish Manta Sanctury at Crowlas with it's head keeper Paul Newport (paulmanta on here) you might be able to visit at feeding time !!!

Though that water pump looks groty it is all there and should have still been moving the water. perhaps taking everything apart dislodged a partial blockage, still a fesh pump doesn't do any harm

The noisy tappet could just need addjustment, it should be hydrolic tappets in this age of Manta, they need setting with the engine running, the best trick is to use an old rocker cover with a slot cut into it, maybe Paul Newport has a cover already modified, take some beers along and ask him nicely !!!