Manta 400 engine

Thebishop

Hi guys, just wondering what a manta 400 engine & matching number gearbox is worth?

I was told by seller that's it's a manta 400 engine 2.2cih bored out to 2.4. 

Is it actually a 400 engine or are these quite common. Seller told me that only 400 were made.

I don't know about these things, but would appreciate advice, help or any comments.

Regards 

Hi Ross,

an original 400 engine is not  a bored out 2.2, 

And tell the seller there were more than 400 engines made. 

But they are very rare, and I know some street engines sold for 20.000Euro...

The engine has got a nitrated harded crankshaft that can handle without preparation 300hp.

motor1.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/12/2016 at 22:37, Thebishop said:

Hi guys, just wondering what a manta 400 engine & matching number gearbox is worth?

I was told by seller that's it's a manta 400 engine 2.2cih bored out to 2.4. 

Is it actually a 400 engine or are these quite common. Seller told me that only 400 were made.

I don't know about these things, but would appreciate advice, help or any comments.

Regards 

Manta 400 engine came standard with a 2.4 block.

If you don't know what one looks like then google a pic, and if its a genuine 400 engine thats offered for sale then get her bought....

The original gearbox of a M-400 is a Getrag 262, so be sure they don't try to sell you a 265.

Matching numbers is something else. I've got all the papers of my car and found that engine-number is matching.

But I didn't found any gearbox number in the papers. The previous owners informed me the gearbox was nevere changed so 

this gearbox is original. Also because it is a 262, and a BMW 262 doesn't fit unless you use a BMW clutch...

What is it worth? What somebody wants to pay for it...

IShame you didnt buy that i240 Pete....rarer than a 400 and probably cheaper too. We used to see quite a few of them in the club at one stage but they all seem to have ended up tucked away in garages (or rusting on driveways in the West Yorks area in the case of the Red one !)

Genuine 400 engine is dead easy to spot as it doesnt look like anything else at all - (see attached).

Dsc_0078 (3).jpg

• Like 2

Oooooo.....take some photos if you can without upsetting the owner. Be interesting to see what he has got and what the parts are. You might have found a little hoard there!....then again, it might not. I did hear a story very similar to this last year and there was a complete i300 tucked away in pieces in someones garage, so you never know!

Well went to see 400 engine today and guess what it wasn't a 400 engine. It's a i200 engine he informed me and he's looking for €1000????????

I bought a imrscher 3 piece spoiler never painted and a set of imrscher quad lights and got a spare wheel. So if your looking for any of these I may sell.

He's also selling a 86 gte coupe needs work and paint .

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 19:07, Thebishop said:

Well went to see 400 engine today and guess what it wasn't a 400 engine. It's a i200 engine he informed me and he's looking for €1000????????

I bought a imrscher 3 piece spoiler never painted and a set of imrscher quad lights and got a spare wheel. So if your looking for any of these I may sell.

He's also selling a 86 gte coupe needs work and paint .

Always good to check out information on the forum as there is a lot of experience and knowledgeable people on here. I wonder what response you would have got on the Farcebook site. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an aside, a brand new 400 engine is currently around 25,000euro from Ulrich Gerent. This is 300+ hp and 320+nm torque. Considering that a historic bda with 260hp and much less torque is £25,000 from the usual uk suppliers, that is very good value. He has brand new head castings and all brand new internals, and that is supplied dyno run, ready to bolt in and go.

• Like 1