Canadian Manta B

Limeysore

Hi Chris, been quitly on my side. The amount of work at the barracks is one of the reasons but the heat the last days was also a reason I was rather tired. Found another picture-uploader so some more pics:

This is the main shaft that goes to the clutch, you can see there is a black trace on the shaft and I measured it together with the other box I have to compare it with this one:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

This is the tube with the  lip-seal so I can check where the lip of the new seal will touch the shaft. Looked fine but I will use a shim to be sure the lipseal will be on new clean metal.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

This is that lubricating tube I wanted to check; looks firm and OK:

Grts, Herman

Take it easy my friend I don't want to hear that you have succumbed to heat stroke. I have never seen the inside of a 240 box so this is very interesting.  I had family stuff to do today so I have not looked at the car.  Yesterday I pressed on with stripping underseal, paint and rust from the passenger side front wheel well and A post. Things don't look to bad.

Some repairs will be needed where the inner wing meets the front 

I will have to spend sometime on the shocker absorber tower, there is a small area where where the inner wing and top plate meet that has rusted through along the seam, it's a small hole and fortunately the surrounding structure seems solid.

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some goodies for my build....

I spent Thursday and Friday of this week helping to unload and take into inventory a stash of Opel GT parts that have been acquired for the Opel GT Co-op here in Calgary.    I scored the DCOE inlets and modified GT exhaust manifold from the stash.  The inlets have as slight curve as they were intended for cramped confines of the GT engine bay but I'm hoping they will work on the Manta.  As can be seen in the pictures the exhaust manifold has been modified and gently ported, it will need to go through a few heat cycles to see if the welded plate is stable.  

I'm fortunate that the GT club have adopted me and my orphan Manta B into their club and they are proving to be a great help to my project.  The Co-op has gathered and continues to gather Opel parts in the hopes of keeping as many Opels on the road as possible.  Basically you pay the $300 life time entry fee to the club then have access to the parts inventory at nominal parts cost.  As an example I acquired a 1.9 CIH engine complete with all ancillaries, the exhaust and inlet manifolds pictured above for about £105.   The group also gives me access to special tools and toys such as a plasma cutter.  And the real bonus, I get to talk Opel with a bunch of like minded enthusiasts.  

Chris

Edited by Limeysore
Spelling correction
  • Like 3

Thats really interesting! 300 dollars is £240 ish, life time membership you say, thats only 10 yrs in most car clubs at £25 quid a year, and then you get free gifts, kinda for peanuts........ where did it all go wrong.......... and sums up how bad things realky are, or how good things could be! 

Have been searching for these parts for ages to no avail, ..........must try harder! 

Edited by ®evo03

Evo, at the current exchange rate $300 Cdn is only £176.  What I did not mention in my post was that if parts are sold to none members the income is divided by the number of members and paid as a dividend to them once a year.  Joining the Co-op was a no brainer! 

Chris

• Like 1

Doh! I used US dollar conversion. Think thats what most clubs need, some giveback, it cant all be take, and no give, can it! 

On 15/9/2019 at 22:36, Limeysore said:

What I did not mention in my post was that if parts are sold to none members the income is divided by the number of members and paid as a dividend to them once a year.  Joining the Co-op was a no brainer!

WHAT!............ so you get a yearly bonus! So it is possible..... depending on sales, the club pays you to be a member, interesting, and a big incentive. You will get your 300 dollars returned, eventually! 

Where did it all go wrong...... its just not right, now....... back to the car, looks a decent one for its age, great mods for the engine! 

Edited by ®evo03

Hi Chris, been quiet on my side. The tanks are falling in pieces and one has got a serious problem with hydraulics. And that system is ECU-controlled so if you want to check the hardware like measuring the pump-pressures you got to keep in mind those pressures are the result of the voltage the pump gets from that ECU. But this will be continued on Monday...

We are enjoying a nice indian summer so tomorrow I will have some time for working on our gearboxes. Couldn't wait so I fitted this afternoon the new seal of the gear stick shaft. Had to remove some parts to be sure not to hurt the alu-casing of the gearbox:

Grts, Herman

Thanks Herman, Indian summer you say, we have just had the weather man tell us to expect the first frost of the season tonight.   I'm currently working on the garage to upgrade the insulation and add some heat so I can press on with the Manta this winter.

I did spend some time cleaning the CIH engine I aquired from the Opel GT Co-op sadly it has a cracked block, so I have to go to the storage area and pick up a replacement. 

Chris

Edited by Limeysore
Delete duplicate photo.

Sorry Chris, gonna make you jealous. The wheather is so nice I took everything out, also cause my wife said to me "you are always hidden in that garage"... So I moved everything on the lawn and enjoyed the sun. The other reason is my workbench looks like Beiruth after a civil war...

So had a look at everything and noticed the secondary shaft has got a roller-bearing in a plastic guide but the shaft itself is conical. So I putted the bearing in the alu-house and lowered the gears into the house, but first I did this:

I always use loctite, it has proved his quality in technology. I greased the noses of the shafts and the gears slided nice into their place, I was a happy man. After bolting everything I checked the main shaft turned free together with the aux shaft. So the next thing is the retaining ring, it is not a circlips ring so you got to use that special pair of pliers:

And everything on it's place:

The gearbox back together so fitting the bolt of the rear shaft-drive and fitting new rubber o-rings at the speedo-drive:

And fitting the retainer of one of the shafts, be sure you fit the small wheel horizontal:

Wanted to do a lot more but they called me a lot for other reasons (army) and I want to thank my wife cause she knew where I putted those special pliers that were lost... 

• Like 2

Well, we escaped the frost last night the surrounding area suffered but Calgary was spared.  It is now about 4:40PM and the temperature is almost 20C however, they are saying snow on Friday!   

Thanks for your efforts on the gearbox and providing the pictures for my build record.  Your skills and attention to detail are very impressive.

Chris.

A few pics more of our gearboxes: Cleaned all the threads so the bolts go easy in without old nutlock residu's:

New oil seal rings, the bleu stuff is a non drying sealing that is resistant to all feuls and oils. Used in the aircraft industry and in the army:

Both boxes, still got to install the front oil seals. Tomorrow another day...:

• Like 1

You are not the first to split the 240-CIH box into the 240-OHC box. Think it must be possible.  I took a look at the parts-catalogue and all the insides and main shafts seem to be identical for both engines. When you open the gearbox clean the surface till the old green loctite is away. Don't use a gasket, use again something like Loctite. If You use a gasket you need to use a shim to compensate the space/play of your shafts. One of the bolts is longer than the others, it is the top left one. Check it when you open your box, if needed I will give you a picture of the location. If the box is open, check that little pipe that is mentioned at topic : "5 speed gearbox oil change suprise."   Never heard about that problem but this is why this forum is important! And to refill the box: Use the original oil as Opel prescribes, it is rather thin oil that looks red. The same boxes are used by BMW and have ATF oil inside.

Grts, Herman

• Thanks 1

Thanks Herman. Yeah I read about the little surprise and also the oil requirements.

I do remember using atqf spec when I did my first 5spoed conversion, but that was a lot of years ago! Only ever had much to do with ZF boxes, so little tips are so valuable- thanks for those👍

Herman,  thank you for the ongoing updates on your progress with our 240 gearboxes.   I had to shovel a pathway to the garage this morning to get to the Manta.  

This will be the first time since the early 2000's that the Manta has spent winter under any kind of cover, it's amazing how well it has survived.  

Chris

• Like 1

It's now 4:33PM  Monday afternoon the temperature is currently +4C and warming up nicely until sunset with a forecast overnight low of -9C.  The roads will be like skating rinks tomorrow.  Why do I live in this godforsaken place I ask myself! 

• 3 months later...

Pud the wood, I'm racking my brain on your identity.  John Wooding by any chance?  I was in sales but spent a good deal of time with the guys in the workshop.  I'm still in touch with Kim and his wife Sandra and visited with them the last time I was home in October of 2018.  I'm also still in touch with Alan Sharp and also visited with him during my 2018 trip.  

I'll send you Kim's contact info in a private mail.  Here's an oldie for you......

Edited by Limeysore