Manta Hatch

Bonga

After my findings of rot on the chassis legs and floor I've decided to revaluate my situation . I was initially hoping to have the car ready soon but I know it's not going to be ready any time soon. To do a proper job I need the engine out and I'm thinking now of a full strip down and putting it on a spit to make life easier welding the underside and painting. 

In the mean time I gutted out the garage, tidied it and a run to the recycle centre today to make space for the big strip down.

Im putting this on the back burner for now. I've got this other manta I got before Christmas. It's the Saab engined track car that's been for sale a few time over the last few years.  I don't really want to have both at the same time. My plan was finish and sell one before I start the other. But at this rate it's going to be another summer and winter without a run in my car, it's kinda peeing me off  Anyway It's stored been away since I got it off the trailer but I went for a quick look on Friday and it's in useable condition as it sits.

Next weekend maybe get it out see what it need for MOT and a run down the road 😆😆

• Sounds like plan! 

To make life easier, see hermans thread, its easier to reove engine on front subframe. Leave gearbox on also. 

Either make or buy chassis legs, replace both, while your at it. Spit moves life easier.

Here is a template, not sure what scale, but once you get the scale, maybe work on width, should give you length. A print shop should be able to print template.

Ah, so thats where the saab engine manta went to, you need to get a few pics up, maybe a different thread. Hey get it on the road, cat need too much.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by ®evo03

Cheers.

Had a look at Herman's. That's what made me think it's best just to get the engine out and do it right. Yeah I'll do both legs as I suspect the other side to be the same.

I'll get some photos next week. From what I can see the wheel studs are too short and it's got a hydraulic handbrake no mechanical. Get a better look when I get more time.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Bonga said:

Has anyone ever used the panels off off eBay from this fella?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362461798133

Was going to get a floor pan, jack point and chassis leg. Seems a decent price for the panels.

I have just had a delivery from him, I went for the whole package with new jacking points too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-MANTA-B-Längsträger-Bogen-Wagenheberaufnahme-sechsteiliger-Satz-NEU/362560383821?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

not even opened the box yet as not arrived yesterday.

My thoughts exactly, you can bet once into stripping it back I would end up needing something I did not order.

im going to get some A posts too, only maybe need 25-30% of what is supplied, but will be better than trying to bend it myself.

ill get some pics once I has my lunch.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Well the hatch is back on. Engine and gearbox is out, subframe off and I've bought a Rollover jig to turn it to have a crack at floor, chassis rails and swan neck sections that need attention. Need to get it attached to the jig in the next few days then see where we are. I have a few panels, outer sill, floor pan, chassis rail and lower swan neck and a few cuttings of sheet metal. So ready 5o crack on. While I've got the car at this stage I'm going to try and make a tidier job then the last person. I'm going to give everything a bash. It's only going to be used as a run around so details don't really matter as long as it's tidy enough.

I need to locate a few bits and bobs so any help is appreciated. 

1. I had to cut the subframe to chassis bolts at the bottom corner of the swan neck. So need to replace these.

2. The bush above needs replaced. I'm thinking of changing all the front bushes though. Any recommendations on what type? I've seen ones on flea bay called strong flex they are nearly half the price of super pro for a full kit.

I'm actually really enjoying it hopefully keep the momentum going.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

One other thing if anyone has any ideas. I want to take the doors off. I tried the sealey pin remover but it's just not up to the task and I broke it. 

• Like 5

I removed both drivers and passengers pins with the Laser door pin removal tool, I soaked the door pins every evening  for about a fortnight before I tried them, they came out with no problems, maybe the oiling before hand helped? 
when I replaced the doors I fitted new pins, easy enough to find on e bay, relatively cheap.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 1

Back at it again this time its getting the sub frame to bits to paint and fit new bushes. 30odd years of gunk holding some of the bushes together. Sheared one of the anti roll bar brackets that attached to the sub frame but should be able to make a new bit up with a long bolt and a sleeve. The passenger side engine mounting is hanging by a thread. Still got the 2 top wishbone bolts to get out so I'm off back to it.

Well I got 3 out of the 4 door hinge pins out today and I'm confident I'll get the last one out tomorrow. 

Removed the back axle today, can't get one of the rear shock bolts out and one of the arms to the chassis is stuck at the axle side. Soaked them with oil and I'll give them a try again. I take it the bolt is seized in the centre pin of the bushes.

I need to remove all the old bushes from the rear axle and front subframe. I've ordered a set of poly bushes from strong flex to give them I try. Probably be a nightmare to fit but I'll give it a bash. Looking through some old posts to get ideas.

I'm going to give front subframe and rear axle a lick of paint.What do people generally use from this and I'll get some ordered up.

• Like 1

After 45 minutes of heating,pouring oil in the hinge and mashing it with a hammer the pin finally came out...that'll do for today. Next up seats out then prep the axles for paint and remove the old bushes. Try and get this done for the weekend.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Bonga said:

After 45 minutes of heating,pouring oil in the hinge and mashing it with a hammer the pin finally came out...that'll do for today. Next up seats out then prep the axles for paint and remove the old bushes. Try and get this done for the weekend.

Champion!
That is a positive result.

• Like 1

Bit more progress over the weekend. Managed to get the rear axle bushes all removed. Looked like the standard Opel ones, possibly 35 years old some were tough but used some heat and oil again and a bit of persistence. Removed the shock bushes as well.

Anyone know where I'd be able to get new ones or if it's worth trying to source poly ones for the shock?

The front might be more difficult. The upper wishbone has a long bolt that won't budge, both sides. Might have to cut them as well. I'm going to renew all the bolts and nuts thought out while I'm at it. Does it need to be a certain grade/ type of bolt?

• Like 1

That long bolt is sometimes rusted on the washers rather then inside the tube, but they can be  purchased

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEU-Opel-Ascona-B-Manta-B-Kadett-C-SET-Buchsen-Oberlenker-Unterlenker-Schrauben/254249250521?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

However, I and many others have gone with poly, I went with a full front & rear kit and was rather pleased with it, but not cheap obviously https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SuperPro-Polyurethane-Front-Rear-Suspension-Bush-Kit-High-Stability-KIT5242K/232579404355?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649