Hello from Leamington Spa and Spain

Luisetegsi

Hello All

My name is Luis Conde. I'm spaniard but I've been living in the UK for a while now.

Recently I bought a silver manta GTE in Spain (quite clean off rust example tbh)

I've been following your forum as an observer for a few years now, and I would like to start to participate on it!

I'm going to to try to upload some pictures

Regards all

IMG-20200208-090120.jpg

IMG-20200208-094634.jpg

IMG-20200208-102031.jpg

Edited by Luisetegsi
  • Like 7

My Idea with this project is bring it back to the roads(has been on a sorn sincE 2012. Do a full deep service and start to drive it. And then let's see.

So far I've identified some parts broken/missing/needed. 

Front seats. The car has installed the front seats from a gsi, not the gte ones with the "Scottish cloth pattern"

Rear spoiler. I would like to fit the exclusive 3 piece spoiler.

Door upper rubber seal(the one against the b pillar) is falling apart.. and no sealing properly.

So if any of you have any of this parts , I would be more than happy to get in touch with you and for sure we'll get a deal.

Cheers guys!

Hi Luis, welcome on this forum. You will find a lot of knowledge on this place. Your Manta looks nice, the same colour as my GSI. About your car: When was it build? (or first used) Maybe it is a GSI and the front seats are original... I am from Belgium and all left hand Manta G/TE's became from production '84 GSI. 

About the rubber doorseal: you will find it at Dr-Manta.de   If you are new in the Manta scene: check out Edelschmiede.com , o-t-r.de  But maybe someone on this forum can help you.

Grts, Herman

Hi Herman

Thanks for your warm welcome. The car still has her original plate. She was registered back in 1983 in Valencia, therefore is definitely a gte. Original paperwork of the vehicle confirms the same.

Thanks for the tip about the door seal.I'll look into those websites. Hopefully I'll be able to find it.

Regards

Luis

Welcome Luis!
It does look tidy! I expect with the dryer weather you have and saltless roads, the chassis will be something us chaps in the UK would be very envious of 🍻

I would definitely recommend joining the club as a web member as there are sexpctions that will be hidden from you without membership, for the cost it is definitely worth it! The knowledge I have gained from reading older posts in those sections alone is worth infinitely more the fee already to me 👍👍

Edited by Jessopia74
Predicted text fails
  • Like 1

Hi guys

Thank you both. After a few years living in the UK I can definitely say... Most of sheds are cheaper than in spain.However some cars are the opposite. Astra MK2 is an example (I own a couple of them) .

Mantas...  Is difficult to say but... In general the rust is not as bad as in the UK. I'm from the northwest of Spain and even there... The rust is s real fu***er. I bought her down the south, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty"

There are a few examples in Spain, however this one was cheap as chips.

I will consider to join a membership for sure.

Thanks everyone

Luis

9 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

What’s cheap? If you don’t mind me asking?

4k euro considering no welding needed. Average prices in Spain for mantas are around 6-7k euro

6 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

I believe in Spain you have to pay to scrap your car???

Yes and no. Normally the scappers pay that money for you. They do their own calculations taking  that in account. Therefore they pay you less for the car.

• Thanks 1

4k €  is no money for a rustless body, if I count what I spend on bodyparts together with the car...

So Luis, I was from the start a web-member. Just great to look at the pics of the projects you can find on this forum. Priceless, a nice pic does say more than thousand words. After some time I began to appreciate this club, not only for the benefits as a Manta owner but also for the comradeship you can find. Very important for me there I am in the military. So I went for a full membership to support this club and hope to meet some when I'm retired.

Hi Luis.

Are you back in Spain now?  If not, we have a monthly meet up in Leamington Spa on the 3rd Friday of the month, it would be great to see a new face if you can make it.

This months meet is on the 21st at the Royal Hourse, Poseidon Way.

12 hours ago, mantaray said:

Hi Luis.

Are you back in Spain now?  If not, we have a monthly meet up in Leamington Spa on the 3rd Friday of the month, it would be great to see a new face if you can make it.

This months meet is on the 21st at the Royal Hourse, Poseidon Way.

I'm back in Spain now, however I go to the UK quite often. Yes, I know you guys meet at the royal horse. I used to go to that pub and I can remember once there was a few mantas at the carpark.

On 09/02/2020 at 22:07, mantaray said:

Hello chaps

I'm about to give a full service to the old lady before start messing about. I've prepared this shopping list:

Air filter, oil filter, spark plugs and leads, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel hoses, rocket and cover gasket(it leaks a bit)

Coolant  and  alternator belt. ( I have to check this point as my manta has the original A/c system fitted. Don't know if it has two belts or a longer one.

What I haven't bought yet is the oil. What kind of oil is the best for the 20E? As It has hydraulic valve lifters I thought the same oil as I use in my Astra gte should be good 10w40 GM.

However I've seen some people adding to mantas 15w40 or even 20w40 mineral stuff. Which is your advise?

Cheers

Luis

Hi Luis, 

if you are going to fit new feul hoses I would order hoses that are ethanol proof. Even 98octane feul has got 10% of this stuff and together with condens it is bad for rubber feul lines and other rubber stuff. Nice to hear you'v got airco, was an option that is very rare to find. So if your Manta is used in Spain I would also go for 20w50. Together with the airco the engine will get warmer, as Danny wrote the oil stays thicker. An electro-fan would be a nice help. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Luis, 

if you are going to fit new feul hoses I would order hoses that are ethanol proof. Even 98octane feul has got 10% of this stuff and together with condens it is bad for rubber feul lines and other rubber stuff. Nice to hear you'v got airco, was an option that is very rare to find. So if your Manta is used in Spain I would also go for 20w50. Together with the airco the engine will get warmer, as Danny wrote the oil stays thicker. An electro-fan would be a nice help. 

Hi, yes, the new hoses are definitely prepared for new fuel.

Do you think is a nice thing to have aircon? Obviously I´ll keep it fitted as is a quite rare option. However where I´m from (Galicia in the North West of Spain) is not as hot as you think. In fact, the weather is as rainy as the Uk and the temperatures are quite similar. I don´t think an electro-fan will be neccesary.

Anyway, I´ll follow your advise and Will add a good quality  20W50 oil to the engine. 

About the gearbox & axle oil, I´ve found a thread where is very clear and detailed.

Thanks every One

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2020 at 10:18, Luisetegsi said:

Hola a todos

Me llamo Luis Conde. Soy español pero llevo un tiempo viviendo en el Reino Unido.

Recientemente compré una manta GTE plateada en España (ejemplo de tbh bastante limpio)

¡He estado siguiendo su foro como observador durante algunos años y me gustaría comenzar a participar en él!

Voy a intentar subir algunas fotos

Saludos a todos

IMG-20200208-090120.jpg

IMG-20200208-094634.jpg

IMG-20200208-102031.jpg

hola yo también soy español, encantado,,, soy de Madrid, tiene muy buena pinta ese gsi, solo le faltan las pegatinas para estar totalmente original.

yo también adquirí un manta gsi. hace 2 meses de color blanco "estaba en uso y unico dueño"  pero necesita repasos de cositas.

On 07/04/2020 at 21:55, JUANCARMANTA said:

hola yo también soy español, encantado,,, soy de Madrid, tiene muy buena pinta ese gsi, solo le faltan las pegatinas para estar totalmente original.

yo también adquirí un manta gsi. hace 2 meses de color blanco "estaba en uso y unico dueño"  pero necesita repasos de cositas.

Hi, yes, It's quite in original condition. However is not a Gsi, is a GTE but it has the front seats of a gte.

I wonder if anyone has a pair of front gte seats.

Aircon? Blimey. I’ve only seen one manta in the UK with aircon and that belongs to CalCol on here, I think he made that car have aircon from parts he imported. So yes, keep that on! Get some more pictures up, would love to see some inside pics. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Luis, just came across your post....nice to hear from you....do you see many Manta's in Spain...assume yours is pretty rust free? I have seen a few in Greece and Croatia/Serbia when on my travels, but didn  't see any in Portugal or Spain.....

On 15/04/2020 at 08:52, GTEPETE said:

Hi Luis, just came across your post....nice to hear from you....do you see many Manta's in Spain...assume yours is pretty rust free? I have seen a few in Greece and Croatia/Serbia when on my travels, but didn  't see any in Portugal or Spain.....

Yeah, it's not bad. However I'm from North Spain and is not as dry as you think. In fact it rains more than in the UK.

Took me a while to find a decent unit for the fair price.

Mantas were pretty rare everywhere , and you don't see many around either in Spain or Portugal.

At the moment I've got two more projects on going,  therefore the manta will have to wait her  moment. She's properly dry stored.

Regards

• Like 1