getrag 240 input bearing part number

hoobby

can someone confirm the part number fag 548395 which i got from edelschmiede (194 euros) but dont know if this is correct or there using a generic image as i have found same bearing on another site for 100 euros.

also anything else i should change/check while im i there.

Rebuilt my getrag a while ago and came across a link to the exploded view of the box and have it here,

http://www.theopelproject.com/?page_id=223

not sure on the bearing number, but there should be some German sites out there where you can cross ref the number. The BMW's used the same box with different bell housing.

make sure you replace the rear seal as well.

Andy 

• Like 2

This is indeed the input bearing of the getrag 240, the partnr. : GM 90167967  and  7 14 029.  You can find it from 100€ but also a lot more than Thomas (Edelschmiede) asks.

If you google around with those numbers you will find more:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124136821144?var=0

When you are doing that job change all the oil seals, check the oil lubricating pipe (see Andy's website above) and check also the gear that drives your speedocable. Sometimes the clip jumps off.

If there is no gasket between the two major parts of the box just use again sealant, otherwise you'l create some play in the gears.

Check for pics my topic (Swan neck), Succes!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK cheers everyone have ordered the one on ebay

7 hours ago, H-400 said:

check the oil lubricating pipe

That fell out through the drain ho!e during the oil change

IMG_20200529_150431.thumb.jpg.a826bc60de43b7fbade146fed7d0c03a.jpg

The rear seal can be fitted without striping the box further than splitting ?

I spent hours cross checking part numbers on this and a few BMW forums looks like this bearing is discontinued/no longer manufactured so supplies will run out so unless I'm wrong or someone starts producing them does not look good for the getrag box's future.

This box had a bit of input bearing noise had ep90 in it not my doing have changed oil now sounds like a ww2 jeep 1st gear very loud 2nd gear not so loud third just about hear it and unless I push the clutch down when turning off get a death rattle.

Its been fun driving it about a bit a head turner...my god is that a willys mb Coming up behind me? But with the oil feed pipe issue as well going to get this sorted before I drive it anymore :(.it could at least rain wouldn't feel so frustrated.

Edited by hoobby

I always found that if i took the old bearing up to a local bearing suppliers they could usually find exactly the same bearing for a fraction on the price, might be harder with that one (and a little harder with lockdown) but might be an option if they are getting hard to get the original GM ones (which are usually made for them by someone else any way!) just a thought.

Andy

• Like 2