Oil level raiser

I’ve bought one of these oil level raisers, does it take some hammering to get it in? Building engine on my bench, so it’s going to be difficult to get it toasty warm for a while! 

tried tapping it in but it seams a bit too big. 

A0EDA9F2-CA2D-4546-A0D8-36E3F75247D0.jpeg

12691A66-435D-458F-972D-8B50AADE0215.jpeg

You could try putting the oil level raiser in the freezer for a while . Have you measured the raiser and the hole for comparison.  You could measure the diameter of the raiser and then try the back of a drill in the hole which is  0.1 less diameter.

I might be missing something here but why are you in at the front of the camshaft? The oil level raiser is fitted to the back passenger side under the rocker cover, Opel put something that resembles a large split pin in and that’s what sometimes is missing and where the oil level raiser fits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

I’ll be bringing my vernier home from work to measure up. Might try the freezer approach and I could always get the heat gun on the hole for a few mins to warm the area up. 

You would expect it to be interference fit, don't want that rattling about in the cam area 😬😁 But definitely measure it. The hoke diameter was just a drain and might not have been bored to an exact size every head/year to year. The reason I say this is the oem tube is just a coil and then it would make sense why they used that rather than a pressed in part, maybe? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike. said:

I might be missing something here but why are you in at the front of the camshaft? The oil level raiser is fitted to the back passenger side under the rocker cover, Opel put something that resembles a large split pin in and that’s what sometimes is missing and where the oil level raiser fits.

Look again at the first picture, I’m definitely in the back of the cam housing there. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

Look again at the first picture, I’m definitely in the back of the cam housing there. 😂

OR one of you has thier head screwed on back to front , eh lol 😂🤣

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Haha 1

I'd  leave  it until your engine is  in and  running. 

Then you can run it up to temperature, then fit the oil level  raiser.

Dead easy..👍

You won't have alk this messing about..

Stand more chance of damaging something  doing it cold of try to warm the area up..

0.5mm seems quite a lot of interference to me but might be right ?   If it doesn’t tap in easily easily I wouldn’t force it .  The steel insert should expand more than the head under normal running conditions keeping it held in so it doesn’t need to be massively tight. You could always spin it on a drill with some Emery on it 

• Like 1