Oil level raiser

On 02/07/2020 at 17:52, Irmscher Man said:

These always came as standard fitment for all Irmscher conversions, even as far back at the late seventies. When I bought a new Enem cam for the i200 in 1990, the Oil bath raiser tube was part of the kit.  I have just made a small order for half a dozen of them, so we can put a few on sale via the club shop.

Put me down for one please, now sold out on EBay.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, execman said:

I just bought one for my 2.7 CIH.

2.7 😎 don’t think I have heard of a CIH so high capacity, how do you get to that? New crank/bore size obviously, but are parts readily available or they specials?

Believe the 2.7 conversion parts came from Germany through Torque Developments.....and 2.7 spec is  97.25 x 90 mm bore & stroke.

Was offered a 2.6 conversion a few years ago, crank, pistons,  rods came to £3500.

• Thanks 1

Also as well as the oil raiser a handy tip for the 2.4 from the Opel GT guys. Adding extra holes to the head gasket to help cooling on number 2 and 3 cylinders as the old 2.4 suffers from not enough flow around those 2 cylinders.

Andy

2018-05-27 (1).png

2018-05-27.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 611 said:

Also as well as the oil raiser a handy tip for the 2.4 from the Opel GT guys. Adding extra holes to the head gasket to help cooling on number 2 and 3 cylinders as the old 2.4 suffers from not enough flow around those 2 cylinders.

Andy

2018-05-27 (1).png

2018-05-27.png

Great tip, thanks....obviously corresponding holes are in the head too.. 

yes my 2.7 was built at Torque Developments back in 1996. I first bought a used Mantzel crank from Rocket Ron, who used to work in a tuning shop in North London.he was selling manta parts as he switched to an R32 Nissan Skyline

it was in a bad state and needed lots of machining to get it useable. I then bought JE pistons and connecting rods from the US, and the bottom end was bored and stroked to  97.25 x 90 mm as Pete said.

the standard 2.0 head was replaced with a Carlton 2.2 along with oversized valves and solid lifters; the cam I'm not sure of- I never asked about it. the whole engine was blueprinted and cost me £5 short of five grand for all the work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, execman said:

yes my 2.7 was built at Torque Developments back in 1996. I first bought a used Mantzel crank from Rocket Ron, who used to work in a tuning shop in North London.he was selling manta parts as he switched to an R32 Nissan Skyline

it was in a bad state and needed lots of machining to get it useable. I then bought JE pistons and connecting rods from the US, and the bottom end was bored and stroked to  97.25 x 90 mm as Pete said.

the standard 2.0 head was replaced with a Carlton 2.2 along with oversized valves and solid lifters; the cam I'm not sure of- I never asked about it. the whole engine was blueprinted and cost me £5 short of five grand for all the work.

Great info mate, thanks. I guess that bottom end is desperate for a chopped 24v head on it to unleash its potential 😎

3 hours ago, execman said:

dont think they were available back then; wouldnt have been able to afford it, even if it was. ideally I'd like throttle bodies rather than EFI, but its the cost again.

A set of these and an Omex ECU and i bet you could get some nice power out of the 2.7 🙂

Screenshot-2020-05-09-21.11-1140x660.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Andy, thanks for the tip about those extra holes, makes me wanting to do this in the winter😁!

The 2.7 was well known in the Opel scene while I was stationed in Germany in the eighties, I scanned some pages of the Mantzel catalogue:

8R2Y0XT.jpg

TxTnifF.jpg

There was a firm "Imotec" that offered the CIH as a 3.0 (4 cil.) and a 4.5 (6cil.)

Edited by H-400
  • Like 2

Herman,

I need a fuel rail pressure relief limiter valve from a vauxhall frontera mk 1, as the one on mine is leaking; I cant find one on Ebay. do you know this valve and is there an equivalent from another manufacturer?

I run the Frontera rail as its safer than the standard GTE multi hosed one; I've posed the question to Andy on the parts supplier section, but thought I'd ask you directly, due to your knowledge on all things Manta.

Does it leak from the inside? I think that valve has got the same inside as a tire valve, we use them on high pressure brake systems also where we fill them with nitrogen (160bar).

If it leaks between the valve and the rail there is also a seal, you can screw the valve out of the rail

229497.png

Think you mean number 9?

14 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Andy, thanks for the tip about those extra holes, makes me wanting to do this in the winter😁!

The 2.7 was well known in the Opel scene while I was stationed in Germany in the eighties, I scanned some pages of the Mantzel catalogue:

8R2Y0XT.jpg

TxTnifF.jpg

There was a firm "Imotec" that offered the CIH as a 3.0 (4 cil.) and a 4.5 (6cil.)

Hey Herman

Any little tip that helps to make the old CIH a bit better is always worth sharing 🙂

Not sure if i put this on my blog, if not i must add it!

Andy

yes Herman, its leaking fuel under load; it was fine initailly, but since We've been messing about with the injection system in order to get the car running, we noticed it leaking at the weekend.

it makes sense the tyre valve angle, as I'd say they're comparable in size; will the thread be the same though?

Yep. It’s only there for releasing pressure and for attaching a gauge if needed. It’s a funky thread though.  Measures 7.8 mm with roughly a pitch of 1.5 mm . 

Very similar to 5/16 whitworth