Manta Getrag 5 Speed

I have just seen this for sale in Scunthorpe, it looks like it has been standing for a long time as there is quite a bit of surface corrosion on it.  Could be worth it if you get it cheap.

Seller also has some GT/J Front seats for sale

So far no bids and only 99p at the moment!

Image 1 - Opel Manta 2.0 CIH Getrag 5 Speed Gearbox

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184800366931?hash=item2b06f5d153:g:8jAAAOSwBxJgipE6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

You will regret the 4 speed 💩

I’ve driven one before. It wasn’t that bad, but it was a left hooker. In fact I’ve driven two 4 speeds, both left hand drive lol. It’s not like I’m going to be up and down the motorway with it either. 

• Like 2

4 speed fan here, makes a great driver, have a 1.6 b with a 4 speed, a few 5 speed boxes here, but wont change it, it really makes sense of the b roads, leave it in 4th, corner pedal off, straight road pedal on, no 5th to 4th, back to fifth, not great on motorways, but I dont do motorways, b roads are more fun. Building a 2.0 gtj manta with 4 speed, should be even more fun. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

4 speed fan here, makes a great driver, have a 1.6 b with a 4 speed, a few 5 speed boxes here, but wont change it, it really makes sense of the b roads, leave it in 4th, corner pedal off, straight road pedal on, no 5th to 4th, back to fifth, not great on motorways, but I dont do motorways, b roads are more fun. Building a 2.0 gtj manta with 4 speed, should be even more fun. 

You can do that with a 5speed box too though (leave it in 4th) 😎

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Haha 1

i too prefer the 4 speed. 

yes it revs higher at high speed but it has its benefits as well .( in my opinion !)

the 4 speed long throw gearchange is miles better than the 5 speed short one. my opinion.

it suits the character of the car and the centre console looks better without the tape holders 

but

and to me this is the main benefit.the design of the gearbox internals greatly determines the sound that the engine/ gearbox/ exhaust combination makes during driving, i have driven many a 4 speed and many a 5 speed and i know what i prefer. there is a different characteristic whine/ gear noise with each type.

much the same reason why i dont like some stainless exhausts or different engine conversions. it all changes the soundtrack of the car. if you like a mk1 ( or early manta b)as it was originally made then it does make a difference . like making it into a totally different car. it may be a bit anorakky( no such word but you know what i mean!)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

What way do you drive, just cant leave it in 4th, whats the point in changing to a 5 speed,  2nd and 3rd? What are you driving? A 5 sp, lol

My 2.0 16v has a 5 speed. And it gets driven! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

My 2.0 16v has a 5 speed. And it gets driven! 

Ah yeh, its needed for 16v ers, but as cih said, it would change the car too much, its crazy for motorway driving, waiting for the CIH to go cam outta head, but it just works for b roads, maybe as im 60mm lower, 8inch rims and bilstein shocks, it sticks like glue, most of the time! 

On 03/05/2021 at 22:09, Sutty2006 said:

I think my B has a 1600 diff, with a 2.0 and 4 speed. Should go like stink till about 60mph 😂

Probably hit a ton on a good day. Mine had a 5.22 ratio in rear diff still did 90mph. 

• Like 1