KDF 831V Code Brown

Jonathan Pounsett

I’ve been meaning to post details of my project for some time but never seem to get round to it.

Well I’m not putting it off any longer.

KDF 831V has been in my family since around 1985 and was initially driven by my mum but soon ended up in I’m my grubby hands. I drove it around for a few years when I was in my 20’s but then started transferring bits an pieces from other project Mantas I was messing around with at the time. Any way long story short I had too many other things going on in my life and the Manta was never finished and got put on a back burner.

Fast forward to 2017. I decided it was time to get the car finished (to be honest it was encouragement from my kids). First job was to refurb the wheels and get some new tyres - not an obvious place to start but it was something I decided on nearly 30 years earlier.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 8

Lots has happened to the car in the last 3 years and I’ve been busy doing that and not keeping you all up-to-date with my progress. 

Opel Monza front hubs with new bearings and modified steering arms. The rear is a 5 linked Commodore axle with lsd 😁

Some quick fixes needed addressing. This is the gearbox cross-member cut very crudely around the LT77 gearbox from a Rover SD1.

• Like 1

May 2018

Transmission tunnel needed opening up to clear the SD1 LT77 gearbox. Gearstick remote housing needed shortening slightly (3”) but now the stick is in a nice position.

Shortened prop and knuckle sitting on existing crossmember. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

June 2018

Commodore rear brake calipers preped and painted.

May 2019

Purpose made twin over axel beds fitted.

June 2019

Centre console looks a good fit but in reality when the handbrake is off (down) it’s a bit too close to the gearstick. It all works so I can live with it.

November 2019

Final photo is before the strip down starts!

• Like 2

Great start, very organised with the lists, good idea. Surprising to see original yellow paint. Looks pretty solid, same say early bs are easier welded... not sure if true? ......its always a challenge!

Surprising to see original yellow colour, looks pretty solid for a 40+ yr old car. Has it been welded before? 

Goodluck with your project, and enjoy!

9 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Great start, very organised with the lists, good idea. Surprising to see original yellow paint. Looks pretty solid, same say early bs are easier welded... not sure if true? ......its always a challenge!

Surprising to see original yellow colour, looks pretty solid for a 40+ yr old car. Has it been welded before? 

Goodluck with your project, and enjoy!

My sister crashed her so I put on the wings and nose cone from a yellow Manta I had. 

May - July 2020

The car kept the welder gainfully employed on and off for the next few months. The work took a long time because I needed to keep on top of my costs and wanted to agree the price of the extra work as the repairs were undertaken. I wasn’t going to cut any corners but I’m not made of money either.

I was amazed at the rot we found in what I thought was a very solid car.

• Like 5

August 2020

The face was peeling off my speedo and when I tried to stick it back it just crumbled. I found a NOS replacement on eBay.

The milage was close enough to make no difference.

I did have to repaint all the other indicator needles as they had faded to yellow over the years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, H-400 said:

Love those UK dash boards, our Europeen ones (from '82) have that idiot econometer where yours oil pressure gauge is

I wouldn’t be too worried about an econometer either especially with the V8!

August 2020

From a distance the paintwork looked okay but close up all the horizontal surfaces were covered with rust spots. I used to store the car in a rented garage that had steel roof trusses, over time these trusses sprinkled metal filings all over the car. I knew about them but didn’t realise the damage they were doing to the paint. 😠

Paint stripper was called for. 

• Like 1

August & September 2020

Continued with the paint stripper throughout August and September it was the best way to get rid of the paint but very messy. Cleaned the panels with wire wheels and slapped on a couple of coats of primer. This didn’t need to last long as the body shop were going to strip it off again themselves.

• Like 1

November 2020

New boot floor mock-up and the real thing in folded 1mm plate. I’ve designed this to fit between the vertical part of the spare wheel well and the rhs chassis rail. I hope it fits straight in 🤞.

• Like 4

We used Octoral by Valspar for primer base coat colour and clear coat.

I wanted two rear boxes as it’s a V8, so needed a second tunnel in the boot floor. I’m a bit OCD so remade both to ensure they were identical and symmetrical.

• Like 3

Great pics, thanks for posting, im considering a side exit, purely due to lowered rear axle, main exhaust will be oval, with oval flared end pipe slightly at an angle. 

Great project, i like the colour separation inside boot compartment. 

• Like 1