KDF 831V Code Brown

Jonathan Pounsett

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a short break I had another look at the Manta wiring. Everything is sorted except the temperature gauges

Sketch 1 - Original gauge
The first sketch is the standard original Manta gauge and factory wiring but with a new regulator. This works without issue but the gauge is very simplistic - blue for cold moving toward red when hot. The gauge always sits very near the hot end of the range.

Sketch 2 - New gauge
I purchased an additional gauge which displays the actual temperature in degrees centigrade. When wired as shown it displayed a realistic temperature.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Sketch 3 - Shared sensor wiring
I thought I could connect both gauges to the same sensor and wired up the gauges as shown in sketch 3. Both gauges work but display the wrong temperatures. I believe the sensor measures resistance and wiring it up in this way messes that up?

Sketch 4 - Switched sensor wiring
Easy I thought - I'll put a switch in so I can swap between gauges when I'm concerned about any high temperatures. Wired in this way the original gauge seems to work and show a sensible reading (towards hot as before and likely to be correct) but the new additional gauge however continues to show dubious (low) readings.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The auto electrician who lives round the corner reckoned both of these wiring options should work but I would need diodes between each sensor and gauge.

I’ve tried this as shown in sketches 5 & 6 but still can’t get both gauges to read the correct temperature. (He’s gone on holiday for two weeks so I can’t ask him!)

Any ideas anyone?

with the original factory setup the guage should read near vertical ,maybee a touch nearer the hot side (the actual middle marking which is offset to the right )with a 92deg thermostat which i assume you will be using. my other cav with an 88deg reads vertical.

mine are both running from the standard thermal voltage regulator which gives a pulsed(on/off)supply which isnt detectable on the guages due to them being thermal devices too so maybee the electronic regulator which gives a steady 10v output makes the factory guage read slightly higher ? .

using 2 guages together from the same sender unit will definately mess up the circuit resistance and fitting a diode will not acheive anything except lower the readings slightly maybee .

BUT

i have found that different sender units can vary the reading slightly and also you could always bias the signal with an inline resistor to make the guage read lower or a parallel resistor to earth to make it read higher. with a carefull selection of resistors on both guages you might be able to get them each to read correct but probably only at a set temperature .the guages probably wouldnt be linear outside of "normal working "temp".

• 4 weeks later...

When the dash was out I took the opportunity to fix a few electrical niggles;

Cabin light failure - fixed

USB sockets that lit up when I switched off the ignition - fixed

OBD socket - hidden up under dash passenger side

Fuel pressure gauge - working

Footwell courtesy lighting - installed

• Like 3

I won’t be attending any more shows for a while due to rear axle top links tearing through the floor. There was a weird creaking noise on the way home and on inspection I discovered the damage. Luckily everything is still where it should be and I was never that happy with the top link brackets anyway. The welder that put them in did a bit of a bodge but I think I can do a better job myself - well, we’ll see if that’s the case in good time. 

Does anyone have the specification for 400 type boxes for the long top links. I’m happy to make them myself but would prefer to buy them if anyone knows if they are available anywhere. 

Any details gratefully received 🤞🏼

• Sad 1

Hi Jonathan, if you use  those top boxes you can not fit the rear seat anymore. I know your rear axle is a mix of commo and spring seats of a normal Manta. But as a "400" your diff nose can jump up while driving, so this can be together the reason with the bad welding this happened. Opel has got to know about this cause my "400" has got a bump stop above the nose of the diff:

Even the Gp 4 and Gp B had that bump stop:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The bump stop is a good idea as there is evidence that the differential universal joint has made contact with the transmission tunnel - very minor contact.

The 400 top links are more than I want or need so I will make up a hybrid connection. Longer links than I have currently will help achieve a better instant centre and stronger boxes firmly anchored to the floor but not interfering too much with the rear seats.

• Like 2

I thought I might have the profile dimensions, but sadly I don’t think they ever got transferred from card to CAD 😬

But they was not hard to figure with out with the great pictures & measurements that was posted by Herman, I just used card to make 1:1 templates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can see that 400 sections will make the rear seats unusable and I think this is a step too far for my car and I definitely won’t be doing any rallies in it so I’m unlikely to ever need the extra travel. 

I need to do some calculations to check for sure, but I think 400 length top links mounted lower in the floor will give me an acceptable instant centre without spoiling rear seat comfort.

What happens in a road going 400? They look like they have a normal rear seat.

And what have you 400R chaps done - any suggestions or advice?