Oil Pressure Reading & Injectors

les87GTE

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following two questions please?

Question 1). As we all know, the position of the oil pressure switch (1987 GTE coupe) just below the manifold is a pain in the rear end. Having had mine moved to the timing housing can somebody tell me if the oil pressure reading should be the same or will it differ slightly?

IMG_4507.thumb.JPG.b37bdb489511e69b502caefc1c556508.JPG

Question 2). Does anybody know someone/somewhere or if you can change the short hose crimped to the top of the standard injectors. Has anybody had it done and, if so, how successful was it?

Many thanks,

Steve.

IMG_4388.thumb.JPG.63afa7848df8e3ee2cc1195b20c31a42.JPG

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your quick reply. The reason I ask about the oil pressure is that, since my pressure switch was moved, my oil light comes on when revs drop below 1000rmp and the gauge reads just below one bar. I've changed switches but that makes no difference. For someone like me with limited mechanical knowledge it's a little disconcerting.

Re; injectors - did you have the hose replaced and who by? Two places I have approached, one being a Bosch Centre, said it can't be done which I find unlikely. 

Hi 

I also moved my oil pressure sensor to the front and didn’t notice a difference with the reading. So may be something else going on. 
Herman changed the pipes on his injectors and it didn’t look that difficult.

If for some reason you don’t want to go through the whole post it’s on page 8 

Edited by Mickfrad

As far as fuel hose goes do the whole lot from/to the metal pipes on the wing, you can get it from here

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/ethanol-proof-fuel-hose-8mm-516

get new clips too

image.jpeg.424ef80e230fdcfb509418ef8b46c2b5.jpeg

Also get similar here 

http://www.volksbolts.com/FuelHose/index.htm

Since you’re sorting it out, get new seals & gaskets too, hardened rubber air leaks are a pain. 

https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/Sealing-set-fuel-injector-valve-complete-Opel-4-cylinder-cih-Jetronic-19E-20E-22E

• Like 2

yes moving the pressure sensor doesnt make any difference. its still in the pressure side of the pump so should read the same.

and the hoses can be changed easily. they just cut and pull off.usually the end ring gets damaged unless your very carefull.

try not to mark the metal tube badly as it could cause leaks. new pipe just pushes on. no hose clamp needed but can be added for extra security. bosch didnt fit any originally .

• Like 1

Thanks for all the above info and the link to Herman's rebuild - a very good read. I will sort out replacement fuel pipe and get the injectors cleaned professionally now I know that can be done easily. As for the oil light coming on I am still stuck for answers. Pretty much everything that can be changed, adjusted, cleaned etc. has been done. I will get the pressure re-checked and, if all reads well, just put it down to an anomaly with my engine, very frustrating  😠.

On 11/06/2021 at 23:36, cam.in.head said:

yes moving the pressure sensor doesnt make any difference. its still in the pressure side of the pump so should read the same.

and the hoses can be changed easily. they just cut and pull off.usually the end ring gets damaged unless your very carefull.

try not to mark the metal tube badly as it could cause leaks. new pipe just pushes on. no hose clamp needed but can be added for extra security. bosch didnt fit any originally .

Ditto...

On 14/06/2021 at 23:17, cam.in.head said:

just looking closer at your picture. hard to see 100% but that sensor doesnt look like the original type ?

The sensor, according to the parts disc, should be 08975471 / 1252554E or 09279853 / 1252553 both of which I have been unable to find new. Instead I have fitted an FAE sensor 14560 which claims to be the equivalent. It has the same specifications and M14x1.5mm thread. If you are able to point me in another direction I am more than willing to try - even if I only eliminate the sensor as the problem.

6 hours ago, les87GTE said:

I have fitted an FAE sensor 14560

This is a pic of mine replaced 2 years ago 2.0e 

IMG_20200428_145351.thumb.jpg.37f0dc773863886dee6201aff7f91e5d.jpg.1317633a154c3b533d8fa8549d18a6ff.jpg

Sorry just noticed this is m12x1 not m14x1.5 tho your one appears to have a range of 0-3 bar should be 0-5 bar hope this helps.

Edited by hoobby
Sorry

• 2 weeks later...

Ref the oil pressure, you’ll probably find that the baseplate that holds the pump gears in place in the front cover will be worn/scored as will the housing and possibly the pump gears. Try removing the plate and cleaning up with wet and dry finishing on 500 grit and use wet. Obviously you’ll need something nice and flat to flat it on. Check if you have a gasket fitted or not and check the pump to cover clearance. If you use a gasket on a non gasket front cover you will get low oil pressure readings just like you are. If it’s still the same after all that you can add a few 6mm washers behind the spring for the pressure relief valve on the cover. This will just up the release pressure to open it slightly which may get rid of the light coming on if non of that works the pump gear are worn as well. I wouldn’t worry too much though, just attach a pressure gauge and get a reading. The CIH oil feed galleries are massive compared to other engines, they’re about 8-10mm in the block. If you had a pipe 10mm diameter with a pressure of 5lb say the oil would be everywhere…. I know because I had this problem and I ran with a gauge in the engine bay to monitor it but the pipe split where it was attached at the oil pump priming hole. It was everywhere. Make sure you are using a 20-50 classic grade of oil as well as that will also affect the pressure.

Hth

Chris

• Like 1

On 11/06/2021 at 15:11, Trooker said:

As far as fuel hose goes do the whole lot from/to the metal pipes on the wing, you can get it from here

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/ethanol-proof-fuel-hose-8mm-516

get new clips too

image.jpeg.424ef80e230fdcfb509418ef8b46c2b5.jpeg

Also get similar here 

http://www.volksbolts.com/FuelHose/index.htm

Since you’re sorting it out, get new seals & gaskets too, hardened rubber air leaks are a pain. 

https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/Sealing-set-fuel-injector-valve-complete-Opel-4-cylinder-cih-Jetronic-19E-20E-22E

I have now bought replacement hose and clips from Car Builder (very good service) - thanks for link Alex.

I have also removed the existing hose and crimps from my injectors and they are currently away being professionally cleaned.

On 30/06/2021 at 17:53, lamchop77 said:

Ref the oil pressure, you’ll probably find that the baseplate that holds the pump gears in place in the front cover will be worn/scored as will the housing and possibly the pump gears. Try removing the plate and cleaning up with wet and dry finishing on 500 grit and use wet. Obviously you’ll need something nice and flat to flat it on. Check if you have a gasket fitted or not and check the pump to cover clearance. If you use a gasket on a non gasket front cover you will get low oil pressure readings just like you are. If it’s still the same after all that you can add a few 6mm washers behind the spring for the pressure relief valve on the cover. This will just up the release pressure to open it slightly which may get rid of the light coming on if non of that works the pump gear are worn as well. I wouldn’t worry too much though, just attach a pressure gauge and get a reading. The CIH oil feed galleries are massive compared to other engines, they’re about 8-10mm in the block. If you had a pipe 10mm diameter with a pressure of 5lb say the oil would be everywhere…. I know because I had this problem and I ran with a gauge in the engine bay to monitor it but the pipe split where it was attached at the oil pump priming hole. It was everywhere. Make sure you are using a 20-50 classic grade of oil as well as that will also affect the pressure.

Hth

Chris

Thanks for the above Chris. I have replaced the oil pump base plate with a new one from Germany, the timing housing was changed for a better second hand one with significantly less scoring, new gears have been bought and the engine is running on VR1 20w 50 oil. The oil pressure sender was swapped for a new FAE one, as stated above, and I have just bought a new old stock Lucas (SOB706) oil pressure sender to try and eliminate that as the cause. I will tinker with the car some more next weekend and see if anything makes any difference. My thoughts will then be 'what the flip else can it possibly be?'

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1