Mathewsons GTE

Beautiful Carmine Red GTE hatch coming up in Mathewsons’s October auction. Apologies for the picture quality it was crammed in with plenty of other cars so couldn’t get a decent shot. Looks nice though with the best interior IMO 

B50278BC-0376-4E3C-845D-EEF3134ACDBA.jpeg

E847E69E-D10F-41CB-9EB7-60E8DAB867C3.jpeg

35D5C2CE-D5DB-4EA8-9063-DD8B736D8B11.jpeg

• Like 6

There are two batmobiles there. Yes I also checked on their website and it isn’t listed. I didn’t bother looking underneath as I am not going to bid on it but if you are interested it’s worth calling ahead to inform them you want to have a proper look at it and they would more than likely move it so you get around it easily. They are a very friendly bunch. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/09/2021 at 12:45, TheRealExile said:

It's the one that got pulled from Ebay, was trying to do a deal for it but probably go for above my price range now 🙄 swan necks are patched but he has some chassis rails and Swan necks.

It's a different one. Its reg ended with CPC if my memory serves me right. 

c860 fno is the one I'm after, it was on Ebay but he pulled it after deciding he can get more at auction, he has told me it is there.

This was it here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-manta-gte-/403137230450?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by TheRealExile
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

c860 fno is the one I'm after, it was on Ebay but he pulled it after deciding he can get more at auction, he has told me it is there.

This was it here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-manta-gte-/403137230450?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Apologies. You are quite correct. It's listed now but without photos:

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/product/1985-opel-manta-gtecurrent-v5-present-paperwork-includes-a-couple-of-old-mot-certs-receipts-and-invoices-etc-the-vendor-advises-of-the-following-fully-stripped-repainted-new-clutch-and-new/

• Thanks 1

Went and had a look, very nice up top. Underneath swan necks are patched as advised but not a terrible job, slight sill patching and a split dash, couldn't get under the bonnet sadly as nobody available to let me see, it is heavily undersealed, no puddles or obvious leaks... but overall it is a nice usable hatch with not that much to make mint.

Interested but need to sacrifice mine to do a deal 🤔 bodyshop man came back to look at mine says 4-5k if he does the prep but for that he will fit the exhaust brake pipes and fuel pipes the lot.

Dilemma lovely red hatch ready now or gamble that 4-5k will sort mine and it won't end up more like 10 🤔

Edited by TheRealExile
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

Went and had a look, very nice up top. Underneath swan necks are patched as advised but not a terrible job, slight sill patching and a split dash, couldn't get under the bonnet sadly as nobody available to let me see, it is heavily undersealed, no puddles or obvious leaks... but overall it is a nice usable hatch with not that much to make mint.

Interested but need to sacrifice mine to do a deal 🤔 bodyshop man came back to look at mine says 4-5k if he does the prep but for that he will fit the exhaust brake pipes and fuel pipes the lot.

Dilemma lovely red hatch ready now or gamble that 4-5k will sort mine and it won't end up more like 10 🤔

Grasses always greener springs to mind mate. The issue is all that lovely under seal can be hiding lots of nasties. I would always say you need to leave a 3-4K restoration pot no matter what. 3-4K is not a lot of any one thing, but it's fixing those swan kneck properly as we know patching the outer skin is only 25% of the issues usually. For its money I would want restoration pictures showing exactly what was under the repairs.

How would you feel pumping more cash to change up to this at auction and then finding it still needs £3K to put it right for long term ?
if that would be a deal breaker, then you have your answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheRealExile said:

Do your manta, if you let it go and you see it done you will be gutted , plus the extra money you will pay out will get your manta sorted 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Grasses always greener springs to mind mate. The issue is all that lovely under seal can be hiding lots of nasties. I would always say you need to leave a 3-4K restoration pot no matter what. 3-4K is not a lot of any one thing, but it's fixing those swan kneck properly as we know patching the outer skin is only 25% of the issues usually. For its money I would want restoration pictures showing exactly what was under the repairs.

How would you feel pumping more cash to change up to this at auction and then finding it still needs £3K to put it right for long term ?
if that would be a deal breaker, then you have your answer.

He wants 5 plus mine with all the spares, rear quarters x 2, full new Jetex and lots more.

That makes it 8.5k in my eyes, which is high end I guess for a hatch that probably will end up with full rails and Swan necks needing done.

You could probably just drive it and maintain the underneath until it finally rots from inside out but it would nag at me knowing about it.

If you ever are at a loose end there are some cracking cars at the auction house, was worth the drive alone, Manta was sat right next to its rival the Capri when I went and next to a Batmobile on the other side! bloke off the telly came over chatting to me whilst I was half under the Manta! That underseal is very fresh too, I know this as half of it is on my t shirt I had on 😆

Edited by TheRealExile
  • Like 2

Photos and video now online:

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/product/1985-opel-manta-gtecurrent-v5-present-paperwork-includes-a-couple-of-old-mot-certs-receipts-and-invoices-etc-the-vendor-advises-of-the-following-fully-stripped-repainted-new-clutch-and-new/

It does look very nice. Glass sunroof so presumably fitted aftermarket so no drain tubes etc. May have saved the inner rails from rotting. No corrosion issues on the last 3 MOT's. 

Edited by Monaco Blue

10 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

Photos and video now online:

It does look very nice. Glass sunroof so presumably fitted aftermarket so no drain tubes etc. May have saved the inner rails from rotting. No corrosion issues on the last 3 MOT's. 

Only advisory seems to be a worn suspension arm/bush. It is very nice bodywise, interior is very good other than the split dash top, never replaced one is it a pig of a job or routine?

The thing is there are still things to do to improve it such as under the bonnet, fog light conversion, oval tail pipe and of course underneath which makes it oddly appealing to me 🤔

If it was just 5k maybe even 6 and not plus mine I'd have bought it already. 

2 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

If it was just 5k maybe even 6 and not plus mine I'd have bought it already. 

A couple of years ago perhaps, but not now. I'd say £7500-£8000 is on the ball for the condition etc. It might go for a bit more if there's a few keen punters after it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got some lads round chopping the ridiculously tall conifers down at the house we bought and they are all admiring my Manta....even with its wings and bonnet off,  want this red hatch but not sure I can let mine go and I don't really have space for 2!! it's moved house with me 3 times now.

He's coming round to see mine on Sunday, see if we can do a deal.

Edited by TheRealExile
  • Like 1