Bilbo's mk1 Cavalier

Bilbo

On 20/02/2024 at 20:17, srmrally said:

Looks like a very respectful job, hat of to you for doing a shift like that to get it painted  

Thanks mate, I guess I can't complain as it was my first ever time wielding a spray gun at all. Glad it's over though, it's nice to sleep for normal amounts of time that humans do again 😂

• Like 1

Ok so yesterday I reassembled the car. Pulling the masking off was both satisfying and terribly unnerving at the same time. Once that was done I went into my storage area and piece by piece brought the parts downstairs and reattached them. Slightly unnerving on new paint, but even with a couple of slips while putting things back on, the paint was super resilient already and didn't scratch or chip at all, which was great.

Anyway it turned into a total ballache when it came to the door handles. The attaching rods for the door pulls are very basic, but the end hook is impossible to attach with the handle placed in the door. Instead you have to pull the handle open, bring it up to the door, push the rod out of the handle hole in the door, and angle the handle to push the pull rod into place. Right next to brand new paint, like a few mm away. Absolutely terrifying. Plus the nuts for the rear door are so far to the rear of the door they are almost impossible to actually get back on without dropping them into the door void at least a dozen times.

Anyway, all good and it is now done and I am never touching those handles ever again for any reason 😂

Oh yeah a fly decided to fly into the paint on top coat spraying day, so thanks for that.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Note the orange peel. I will get that sorted soon. As for the fly, luckily for me directly under the front Vauxhall badge, so the imperfection in the paint after removing it is out of sight, out of mind.

Speaking of the Vauxhall badge:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I love this combo, it compliments and contrasts the paint so well. And yeah I didn't paint the engine bay. Once I have cleaned the bay up a bit and got a red interior I think it's going to suit it being red as well. I did all the wing edges and bonnet shuts cream so it doesn't look weird, I quite like it this way after looking at it.

Drove it home and here it is:

Needs a wet sand and polish of course, but I'm pretty happy with this. I think it looks great. But much the same as when I got my MX-5 painted, the black roof had to go immediately and I got a red one. In this case a red interior is definitely needed to finish it off now, it's lacking colour for my taste, and that'll make it really pop, especially in the sun. I am keeping an eye out!

As for the finish and mask lines etc. all the door jamb ones are hidden by the rubber seals as planned, the only areas that need attention are the left rear arch on the edge of the chrome trim has 2 little areas just by the door that need a little touch up. The windscreen trim tape worked really well, the rear screen is absolutely perfect with no visible red at all anywhere. The front screen right at the top I should have pulled the trim tape a little tighter as there is a very thin bit of visible red on it, but honestly it's not that bad. Small touch up will work. I have a colour matched rattle can from Jawel where the paint came from already, so I will likely just either use this, or spray it into the cap and use a tiny brush to correct these areas, they are very minor to be honest.

Other good news is that ominous red tape over the top of the windscreen seal, I obviously removed it all with a blade before painting, and under it was the tiniest little bit of surface corrosion right in the center which disappeared with mild sanding, and it has since rained and the screen doesn't leak at all anywhere, so I genuinely don't know why it was there. Very odd. I will keep an eye on it.

• Like 6

Looking good, I’m with you on the red interior with the cream coach work.  My old minor was Old English White with the Cherokee Red interior, wish I’d never sold it!  Here’s a some pics from show I took the old girl to a couple of years back.

• Like 4

There's something about the red GM interiors of this era, they've got a very distinctive smell to them which I love. Spent a lot of time in my dad's Senator A with the red seats when I was a kid and it's stuck with me. If you do manage to track down a decent red interior and the current black one needs a home let me know, it'd match the Monza GSE Recaros in my saloon much better than the knackered blue interior that's in there :D

Good work on the paint as well, looks like a tidy job you've done for a self confessed amateur!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spiney_norman said:

There's something about the red GM interiors of this era, they've got a very distinctive smell to them which I love. Spent a lot of time in my dad's Senator A with the red seats when I was a kid and it's stuck with me. If you do manage to track down a decent red interior and the current black one needs a home let me know, it'd match the Monza GSE Recaros in my saloon much better than the knackered blue interior that's in there :D

Good work on the paint as well, looks like a tidy job you've done for a self confessed amateur!

I do like the interior on it, it's got a nice quality feel to it, and the rear bench seat is probably the most insanely comfortable thing I've ever sat on 😂

Of course, I will keep you in mind. Obviously some carpet cutting has taken place so you may not want that, but all the dash, door cards, rear seat etc. are all good.

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Do you need full red interior? 

I might have a few leads.

Oh, did the fly stay behind the badge, mortally entombed 🪰

Haha I got the fly off, couldn't leave it there as I'd always know it was there 😂 but it left behind some distorted paint, so I'm glad it's hidden. Better than my mate's Defender, as he sprayed the left hand side, under the top of the rear body there's a curved metal section the underneath of which is hidden, and a load of tiny spiders came out and landed in the paint 😂

I would like a full red interior for sure! Maybe not the front seats as I want something else for those, not decided what yet, but a full red interior would be great. Just hoping they aren't astronomical prices is all!

• Like 1

Ok so been driving the car about and I really love this colour. 

Before and after:

And next to the 86 in the same colour:

It's in daily duty again and it's so cool walking out of anywhere to see it in this colour. I just love the red badge.

Nervous about people parking next to me though. Please stay away, why must everyone park next to you, no matter where you park, or how empty the place is 😂

Anyway, onto some work. So, the orange peel. I hadn't shown any close ups of the boot/roof/bonnet as it looks even worse on camera than in person and to be honest I was almost embarrassed by it. But anyway here's the boot:

Bloody awful! So started off with some soapy water and 1200 grit. Taking the peel out surprisingly quick with this, I was shocked actually. So I flatted the worst of it off with 1200, then 1500, then 2000. Ultimately I needed to go a little bit further with the 1200 on the boot than I did, which I will address when I redo it soon.

It was looking better as it flatted off the peaks, but still work was needed. So we redid one spot of the boot on one side. Went over it for longer, up to 2000. Then cut on the machine with G3, another compound after, and then a polish. Just to see what we were left with. Not bad:

I mean it's a damn sight better than it was. Camera couldn't really pick it up but there's a lot of tiny swirl scratches in the tested area, which I'm not happy with. It's not a show pony but may as well do it right. So I have now decided to go up to 3000 before cutting back, so I've ordered some 2500 and 3000, I think this will leave the paint a lot more ready to be cut and polished without swirls when finished.

Not done this before, and while I've only made a small bit of progress this evening was more of a learning phase to work out how the paint would take to the sanding, and what was required to get it where I want it. I'll be back at it on Thursday or Friday, and Saturday all day, so hopefully get the bulk of it done then.

• Like 4

Great effort and results. Every day is a learning day. I am confident enough to tackle this myself, on an up an coming project. 

I get alot out of learning something new, and it's great to ask advise, and learn as you go. Do you want to tackle another one 😂

Honestly I've seen 8k paint jobs with flaws. Should there be flaws at this price? 

Another one was a show winning car, that we looked at, flaws everywhere in paint. It's won hundreds of awards? 

Wouldn't be so confident with it yours not being a show pony. 😎

6 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

it doesnt matter even if you park in a large car park in the farthest away corner .someone will always be parked next to you when you come out !

Yeah, this is true. I now park right at the back, furthest point that no one wants and I do put one side right on the line so as to kind of take the two bays. I have had notes stuck under my screen with insults about my parking when there is literally 1/2 the car park free and 10+ spaces around me! I think this is just a thing that some types feel the need to do (park next to you to prove a point). 
They kind of remind me the type that would fart in a lift full of ppl 🤬😂

Had a guy try to point out once that I was parked too close, I was dead centre in my space, 100%. 

I then pointed out to him that his fat Audi was too big for the spaces, and he was the problem, yes people, modern cars have gotten fatter to match people's ego. 😂😂.

You will find they are parking next to you, to either make your car look skinny, they like damaging things, or they are over compensating for their fat ego 😂

• Haha 1

Had to laugh at work today a huge Lotus SUV parked next to me and plugged into the works EV point, it was a supplier visiting so we in Procurement assumed they are making far too much money from our account, anyway said SUV was so large it took three attempts to manoeuvre it out.

• Like 1

now that is weird isnt . this keeps happening . you mention a song and it  comes on the radio . you mention someone you havnt seen for ages then they walk in the pub !  !

anyway .....

yes very small cars . girlfriend had one as her first car in italy . held quite a few people apparently and never broke down untill one day the steering wheel snapped off ?

these posts always end up like a ronnie corbet chair sketch ! lol     wel be onto ghosts and ufo's next !        hope i dont see one now ive mentioned it !!!!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

Smallest car I had was an x19 (well it was small inside at least) paid 400 quid for a colour change to black back in 1998 then took a swap for a 1992 BX of all things, 4 suspension spheres later I realised my mistake 🤣

Always thought the BX GTI was a cool looking car, saw one come up for sale a little while ago, very rare these days!

So I've been carrying on with the wet sanding, and it's going alright. A lot to sort out, but it is slowly getting better.

The roof was pretty bad as well:

I went with a new method as the hand sanding was getting tiresome, and it is working very well for the initial flat back. I have been using a DA, bought some ultra fine sanding discs and using it on a very low speed. Starting off with 1500, then 2000, then 3000. Of course wet, with a bit of soap to avoid excessive paint removal/scratches etc.

It is working alright, this is after that process and then a cut back with a compound (no final polish as not happy with remaining texture):

The roof still looks orange peely, but it feels incredible to the touch now compared to before, like glass. The unit strip lights are incredibly unforgiving for stuff like this, when my mate took some of his Land Rover panels outside they look absolutely amazing in daylight, but the various ceiling lights show up every single imperfection. 

Boot is in roughly the same sort of state at the moment:

I think going forward I will stick to this method for the initial flat back, with the DA. But to prevent burn through I will get the last of the orange peel areas out by hand on each panel, far more control for the final bits of sanding that way. I don't expect it to be mint, but I want it to at least look decent, and it's worth the effort. You will notice in the photos all panel edges are still super rough, I will be doing all of these entirely by hand as I don't want panel edges to cut through the paint with the machine, not worth the grief.

Oh yea, here's the red engine bay:

Once it is cleaned up a bit, my newly painted cam cover is fitted, I've tidied some wiring, and fitted a red interior it will suit it really well. 

• Like 3