Winter on wheels Belgium

Hi everybody, last Sunday we had after several days of rain a dry sunny day. Time to take out the Manta to an oldtimermeeting at the military barracks north of Antwerp where I was stationed from '90 till '95:

QkZ2sQJ.jpg

Kit car based on the Citroën 2CV

Mk0ja3C.jpg

Original BMW Isetta, bubble car made after the war cause fuel was rather expensive those days. They are back as a modern E-car but I don't understand why? They make electricity from fossile fuel/carbon...

ayNpPuk.jpg

An early model Ford Siera, the non original nosecone says he wants to be a Manta B 😁

iHfKMrh.jpg

A Mini, look at this interieur! This nice tiny car is prepared with love. A lot of gauges and tripmasters so it looks ready to rally 😍

26NXgoQ.jpg

rAb1Fcd.jpg

Ford Capri, the contender of the Manta. A bit heavier as a Manta and leaf springs at the back made them always running behind the Manta. But they look awesome.

Xtg2k3D.jpg

Old Opel Rekord and Kadett B, a bit further a Kadett D

10tWfCZ.jpg

My Manta GSI, surrounded by Porsche power. It is the first ride with the Manta since my back surgery and goes well. Looking left & right at crosspoints is still painfull but the Recaro seats are a lot better than the Insignia ones. 

oxE5EGx.jpg

Beetle with Christmas camo. As a very young kid we went to Spain with a VW Beetle. My parents in the front seats, my three brothers on the backseat and me and my twin brother (the young ones) in the dog hole behind the back seat above the engine. Try this these days... 

llRFU0M.jpg

A lot of windows T-bus, you don't want to know the value

W7nWDSh.jpg

Me with some military vehicles. Remember I had to work on those Willies in the very early eighties

6V8wWGx.jpg

American muscles, our son works on new Dodges that are imported to Europe and the basic engine (2 valve Hemi V8 central cam) are basic still the same but with a charger. 

rtq95jQ.jpg

Last but not least: An Opel Kadett C Ralley. Next to a Porsche 914... 

We wish you all nice holidays and a fine New Year 🥂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Great pics Herman, good to see you out and about after the surgery 👍

Cool story about the road trip in the VW. I remember travelling (only through the UK) but only place for me to lie down was in the back of the VW estate driving down the M62 motorway, literally above that engine that sounded like a bag of spanners 🤣

• Like 1

Yep Jess, we had no seat belts and when something happened we were slammed on the pressed metal dash. Brakes had asbestos and the paint of our childs bed had lead. We climbed trees and I remember we fell asleep on top cause the wind made the tree rocking... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Yep Jess, we had no seat belts and when something happened we were slammed on the pressed metal dash. Brakes had asbestos and the paint of our childs bed had lead. We climbed trees and I remember we fell asleep on top cause the wind made the tree rocking... 

crazy by today’s standards, but was all fun back then huh 😎

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Great pics Herman, good to see you out and about after the surgery 👍

Cool story about the road trip in the VW. I remember travelling (only through the UK) but only place for me to lie down was in the back of the VW estate driving down the M62 motorway, literally above that engine that sounded like a bag of spanners 🤣

In 1994 went to Germany heading to cologne in D611 TDM ,outside the all pack up last check found fuel pipe leaking 

Quick replacement of the hose go to go ( no sat nav brack down cover,mobile phones)

Going to a campsite on the river just outside Cologne. Got of the ferry about 7 o’clock 

Had to park up in a Aldi overnight and slept in the manta ( this was before Aldi come to the U.K. 

Go to the campsite the next day 

IMG_1065.jpeg

• Like 1