LeVeLler (1980 Berlinetta SR Coupe)

Kr1s

Keen readers of the forum will already know some of this story as I've posted quite a few times asking for help over the last year or so now, but I thought it about time to start a project thread.

My back story is not as good as some others I've read on here, but it does go back over 30 years to 1992 when my Dad saw this advert in the Lincolnshire Echo...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

It turned out to be a car he'd long admired having regularly seen it in one of the villages where he used to do some work in during the 1980s, so he bought it and put it in his garage. And there it stayed.

Fast forward 30 years and my parents began to think they might like to move house but would need to get the Manta out of the garage first.

I decided I didn't want to see it go, and decided to get involved.

Since then progress has been slow because until a week ago the car was still in Lincolnshire and I live in Hampshire and only go up there a couple of times a year.

What I've done so far:
Changed the fuel and engine bay fuel hoses and pump, got the engine running, changed the engine oil, checked the brakes, checked the fuel tank breather hoses.
Got the car transported to my home (CJV Transport - recommended via the forum)
Identified the cause of play in the gear lever (with help from forum members).
Booked into local garage for rear brake cylinder replacement and general check over.
Original alloy wheels sent to be refurbished and have new tyres fitted.
Cleaned oil from sump and gearbox to try to identify possible source of oil leak.

To do:
Make and fit new bushes on gear linkage.
Flush and replace coolant.
Fabricate heater matrix hoses.
Address anything raised during inspection by garage.
Get MoT?
Preventative work on chassis corrosion.
Remove front suspension and subframe for powder coating?
Replace rubber mountings/bushes as required.
Get minor bodywork blemishes addressed.
Anything else? Please feel free to advise!

A big thank you to everyone on the forum who has helped so far!
I'll continue to post updates and hope to make it to Sywell and meet some of you in person.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 9

I think it’s a great background story, one if best imo😎 It certainly looks good, and very solid . Getting an MOT would not hurt. Kudos to your dad for buying it and putting it away for safe keeping 👍

• Like 2

Excellent story and a beautiful car! Nice to know it’s stayed in the family. 

Personally, I’d get it MOTd. For the cost, it’s not worth missing something. We are all human after all! It’ll be tax exempt now so make sure you apply for that!

I do love those mudflaps. My 76 came with those fitted. But one is missing, 2 are torn and only 1 is ok 😢

• Like 2

Great story - and Nice one Dad for keeping the car safety stored away for 30 years. My dad did that with an GLS Avenger years ago and that got saved as a result, (I must admit, I was tempted to do an Avenger Tiger replica but decided against it).

It would be nice to get a set of ATS alloys on the car, as those ones seem to be from a later 1.8S model. No problem with the size but they aren't as nice looking as the original ones. They shouldn't be hard to find if you haven't already got a set.

Excellent Colour too - the advert mentioned "Breeze Blue" but I think the correct name for the colour is "Signal Blue", paint code 224.

The Signal colours were only available on the SR & Berlinetta models (Blue, Green, Orange, Red, Ochre and Yellow) and according to the sales brochure, a Signal Blue Manta would have had either Blue or Black interior trim. Being a Berlinetta, it would have had the ATS Classics too. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Kr1s said:

That is right on my doorstep - thanks!

I have all 5 of these, 4 with centre caps 😊

They're currently being refurbished

They don't really advertise doing car stuff and other bits but will happy do most things from what they said. I saw some wheels they had done for a Vauxhall and they looked amazing. They probably take more care as they don't do loads of small jobs like that, so not so much over a conveyor belt process!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Kr1s said:

It turned out to be a car he'd long admired having regularly seen it in one of the villages where he used to do some work in during the 1980s, so he bought it and put it in his garage. And there it stayed.

I don't suppose you know who the supplying dealer for the car was do you? Obviously Lincolnshire registered, and incredibly rare, especially in that colour.

Edited by 1900SR

Posted (edited)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 1900SR said:

I don't suppose you know who the supplying dealer for the car was do you?

The pre-delivery inspection appears to have been done by Menrick Motors of Scunthorpe - does that help? Would that have been a franchised dealership then?

The book is also stamped by them for the 600 mile service a month later, but sadly that's where the service history ends.

That monthly mileage doesn't stack up with the mileage 12 years later when my Dad took ownership, but the general condition and the feel of things like the door locks do.

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Nice car, any thoughts on what body protection you plan on using?

Thank you! Seems like Bilt Hamber are the products of choice, but an open to advice.

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Few pics for inspiration, of what the car could or won't be

I'll be aiming for something like the first pic, which it isn't far off already.

I like the others too, but just not for this car 😊

Edited by Kr1s
add thanks!
  • Like 1

Yes, Menrick were Opel main dealers in sunny Scunny, I was hoping it might be another Bridge Motors Car, but I think they were mostly TL registrations.

Well, this was a happy surprise - the Manta passed its MoT today!

A few advisories but not much I didn't already know about.

Another step forward 😊

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Kr1s said:

Well, this was a happy surprise - the Manta passed its MoT today!

A few advisories but not much I didn't already know about.

Another step forward 😊

Well done 👍😎

• Like 1

Today a very kind and helpful friend printed me some gear linkage bushes...

I pressed them into the linkage...

Then refitted the linkage to the car...

Sloppy gear lever fixed 😊

If anyone wants them I can provide dimensions and probably even a CAD file.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Got the wheels back today 😊

Not perfect, but not bad considering the condition they were in before.

Done quite a few miles today - generally good, only issue being an erratic idle speed - sometimes 1800rpm and staying there, sometimes gradually falling back to normal. I suspect the advice may be to ditch the Varajet for a Weber, which I may well end up doing, but will check for air leaks or sticky linkages first.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 1900SR said:

Amazing how much better it looks with the correct ATS wheels on.

Indeed, very understated rim. In 15” it would be ideal for modern tyre choice. Know they did them in 14” but still tyre limited and rare as. 

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Indeed, very understated rim. In 15” it would be ideal for modern tyre choice. Know they did them in 14” but still tyre limited and rare as. 

I was talkng today at a classic car meet about tyres. 13" rims with 185/70x13 means less chance of damage when you hit a pothole than lower profile tyres on bigger wheels. I'll stick with my 13" steels.

3 hours ago, 1900SR said:

I was talkng today at a classic car meet about tyres. 13" rims with 185/70x13 means less chance of damage when you hit a pothole than lower profile tyres on bigger wheels. I'll stick with my 13" steels.

Dont hit them then 😁 I don’t have issues with my 21” rims on my daily 💁

10 hours ago, 1900SR said:

less chance of damage when you hit a pothol

And only higher kerbs are a threat!

7 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Dont hit them then

You've not been to Hampshire have you? 😜

• Haha 2

18000 rpm and normal idle speed variation that much wont be to do with the carb as such internally. more likely to be either return spring,cable adjustment or choke lever not releasing properly. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

18000 rpm and normal idle speed variation that much wont be to do with the carb as such internally. more likely to be either return spring,cable adjustment or choke lever not releasing properly. 

I'll have a look, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Went to work in the Manta today and had a look at the throttle linkage when I got home.

It seems the cable has some kinks causing it to be slightly sticky in certain positions. I've ordered a new one but am not sure whether that's the only issue. Over the 100 miles I've now done it's averaged only 15mpg which is a bit lower than I expected. The choke appears to be fully opening and its fast idle cam is out of the way when warm. I'll see how things go when I've installed the new cable.

On a different subject - one of my washer jets is completely blocked (MoT station said there was enough coming from the other one to pass but it's not very good). Anyone know of any that definitely fit and match the gauge of water pipe ok?

Cheers!

Chris