New member and new owner

Hi all

just joined the club.

picked up my new Manta - 1984 1.8s Manta gt today.

according to DVLA it’s not been taxed since August 1989.

drove it back 102 miles.

smelled a bit hot occasionally- found few oil drops on road once parked. Looks like rear of engine and rear axle.

will try and get on a ramp at mates garage this weekend to give it a once over.

it is a silver car with brown/orange interior and has a Webber conversion with original carb in the boot.

so pleased with it. I’m sure will need some worK As it’s 40 years old but that’s the fun of it.

looking forward to learning more about the Manta’s and getting it out and about.

• Like 5

Welcome along Simon! 

any pictures of the collection mission? Sounds like you had fun driving it for the first time after such a long lay-up. I’d love to do something like that! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Simon Dobbo said:

Hi all

just joined the club.

drove it back 102 miles.

smelled a bit hot occasionally- found few oil drops on road once parked. Looks like rear of engine and rear axle.

it is a silver car with brown/orange interior and has a Webber conversion with original carb in the boot.

so pleased with it. I’m sure will need some worK As it’s 40 years old but that’s the fun of it.

looking forward to learning more about the Manta’s and getting it out and about.

Congratulations on your new Manta, is it the one that was on Ebay recently? I'd have taken a punt myself had my other project been ready to move on. Looks tidy, any plans? Keeping it original etc?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Simon Dobbo said:

Hi all

just joined the club.

drove it back 102 miles.

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

• Like 7

That’s lovely. Very rare now in original condition. I think there was 1 at the VBOA show this year. Definitely rarer than a GTE! 

I find it fascinating that it hasn’t been on the road since 89, has it been in a decent garage all this time? 

4 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Welcome to the club 

You can start a my project page if you’re okay with sharing things that you have done.

Look very clean, are you keeping it original 

Hi

thanks

yes the plan is to keep original as possible as I think it deserves it.

only thing I know is not original is a Webber carb - but have the original in a box

3 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

That’s lovely. Very rare now in original condition. I think there was 1 at the VBOA show this year. Definitely rarer than a GTE! 

I find it fascinating that it hasn’t been on the road since 89, has it been in a decent garage all this time? 

Hi

i I am told it was a company car driven until 1989 and then garaged until owner passed and then was moved on by family to the gent I bought it from who did bits to it but never taxed it etc.

DVLA had it listed as tax due Sept 1989.

23 minutes ago, Metalbasher said:

Welcome simon, looking mighty fine mate. Whereabouts are you in the country?

I’m in the Retford/Lincoln area in Nottinghamshire.

Had a good look over it today

bit of rust inside tailgate frame

needs fuel tank

needs gearbox rear seal

other than that all I can see (and my mate who’s a mechanic and let me use the ramp today) is it will benefit from new radiator and a good brake service.

have greats history documents with it for all servicing and regular Crypton tuning.

even has a an ash tray full of 80’s Green Shield stamps you collected when filling up with fuel.

4 hours ago, BarryD89 said:

Welcome to the club, that looks in great condition.   Velour seats for the win 🤓

Thanks

i think the interior is great

will benefit from a clean but want to be careful not to damage anything

would like new foam for drivers seat base but imagine they are hard to get or don’t exist

• Like 3

If you can find a passenger seat use the foam off that.  The bases are the same and the passenger seats get less wear. Welcome to the club and Manta ownership. 

• Like 1

Hi Simon, great to see, well done on your purchase. I was at VBOA this year with my 1.8 Berlinetta hatch, in Astro silver and burnt orange interior. Drove her down from Derbyshire, She won a 🏆.  I got mine last year and spent a good chunk of time re commissioning it. She had been laid up but kept well for 30 odd years. The brake system needed full rebuild even though seals were perfect. Stood too long. Out put seal was leaking like yours and replaced gasket on diff etc.  I believe there is another silver hatch, burnt orange interior in Mansfield. Maybe show up as a triple act some time!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Opeloutbacks said:

Hi Simon, great to see, well done on your purchase. I was at VBOA this year with my 1.8 Berlinetta hatch, in Astro silver and burnt orange interior. Drove her down from Derbyshire, She won a 🏆.  I got mine last year and spent a good chunk of time re commissioning it. She had been laid up but kept well for 30 odd years. The brake system needed full rebuild even though seals were perfect. Stood too long. Out put seal was leaking like yours and replaced gasket on diff etc.  I believe there is another silver hatch, burnt orange interior in Mansfield. Maybe show up as a triple act some time!

Definitely up for meets and shows as soon as I get the fuel tank and radiator done.

i will overhaul my brakes also.

i am getting new diff seal etc from very helpful person on here.

its just fuel tank I can’t find so far

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Northern radiators up in Leeds do some tanks, depends how bad it is but worth giving the a call to chat or 0113 243 5051
info@northernradiators.co.uk

This is your best option. Hatch tanks are like rocking horse poo and I regret selling my “renewed” carb tank a few years ago for £notalot. 

they have just quoted me around 500 to renew the tank on my Carlton which is out of my budget at the moment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

This is your best option. Hatch tanks are like rocking horse poo and I regret selling my “renewed” carb tank a few years ago for £notalot. 

they have just quoted me around 500 to renew the tank on my Carlton which is out of my budget at the moment. 

carlton tanks still pop up on ebay now and again for our model . next time i see one il let you know

or to be honest i wonder just how different physically carlton mk3 tanks are apart from the number of top pipe stubs ? 

Edited by cam.in.head

2 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

carlton tanks still pop up on ebay now and again for our model . next time i see one il let you know

👌

image.png

image.png

Can you still get coolant hoses?

figure if re doing the radiator then be good to renew the hoses

8 hours ago, Simon Dobbo said:

👌

image.png

image.png

Can you still get coolant hoses?

figure if re doing the radiator then be good to renew the hoses

Keep your eyes on eBay, I’m sure I bought a brand new bottom hose off eBay not long ago for my early B. But a word of warning, don’t throw your old one away if it’s still ok, it’ll come in handy as a spare! 

Anyone off to Vauxall show this weekend?

think there is one in Warrick at British Motor museum.

Not sure whether to do a run that long just yet

20 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

Just spoken to a one man band in Worksop - Autocool

Apparently 40 years experience

Says will refurb radiator and will upgrade core if I want.

Also says will do fuel tank - clean and strip, repair and test then paints them up in a coating externally but doesnt coat internally as he does believe in it because it can flake off. Wants both for 10 days to do and then thoroughly test.

Doesnt know proce until he has seen it but says most expensive one he has done was £260

Think im gonna take a run over and meet him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Simon Dobbo said:

Anyone off to Vauxall show this weekend?

think there is one in Warrick at British Motor museum.

Not sure whether to do a run that long just yet

Just spoken to a one man band in Worksop - Autocool

Apparently 40 years experience

Says will refurb radiator and will upgrade core if I want.

Also says will do fuel tank - clean and strip, repair and test then paints them up in a coating externally but doesnt coat internally as he does believe in it because it can flake off. Wants both for 10 days to do and then thoroughly test.

Doesnt know proce until he has seen it but says most expensive one he has done was £260

Think im gonna take a run over and meet him.

That sounds like a good option! Please do let us all know how you get on, as there is potential for more business to come his way! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1