Ryans Exclusive project

Robbie

midasmesh I think you cracked it however I been at the car for hours tonight just in [:)]

The upper and lower parts of the dash are now removed along with the heater matrix so all thats left inside is the steering column at the moment, looks like the camera played tricks in the picture as its all original around the battery tray area. Glad it was raised though as it helps me learn the B series [:)]

Battery%20tray%20.JPG

Battery%20tray%202.JPG

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TO many hrs the missus would say I guess but I'm lucky shes a nurse and does nights [:D] at a guess on this car its prob 30 to 40 hrs most nights till late and a good run sat and sundays if possible, I do take lazy fits at times though and cant be arrseeeed going out to a project esp if things aint going right, I sorta look at a car in 4 stages stripping it to a shell,

getting its cleaned and sanded down underneath then welded up so it solid [:)]

sanding the upper part down filling and getting it sprayed

then the rebuild

So hopefully in a few weeks it should be at the soild stage again [:)]

My last project was the Black A series took almost 2500 hrs and that was done in a year, spent way to much time in the workshop [:(]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

quote:Originally posted by Robbie

at a guess on this car its prob 30 to 40 hrs most nights

id="quote">id="quote">

Most folk can only squeeze 24hrs out a day, but I guess when yer this passionate about mantas, anythings possible [:D]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

There is no word in Gaelic that can possibly convey the same level of urgency as the spanish word mañana

Glad i could help out, and Robbie thats what were all here for, and like you said it helps you learn more about the car when discussions like this come up.

Robbie i must applaude you on the time and effort you have put into this so far, fair play to you.

3494%3A%3C884%7Ffp37%3B%3Evq%3D32%3A8%3E764%3E%3B%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32355%3B%3B%3B53459vq0mrj

Midasmesh giving it rear wheel action in the Staffordshire Moorlands.

omoc 5285

Based in Leek near to Alton Towers.

Ok time for a bit of an update been a hetic week in all areas plus we had to go over to Watford at the weekend to pick up and A series for a local club member who wants it restored properly, thats now residing in my yard awaiting to get started, We seriously need more hrs in the day [:)]

Anyways some update on the Exclusive project

The front brace on the chassis legs has just about had it, which is actually surprising given that the 4 slot nose cone was Mint and also the lower valance is 100%

Ex%20fr%20xmember%20.JPG

It was patched before so I cut it off to see how bad it was.

Ex%20fr%20xmember%201.JPG

Wasnt much point in cleaning this with the wire cup brush a bit of time wasted there.

Ex%20fr%20xmember%202.JPG

The remains of the brace now thats its been chopped out of the car [:)]

EX%20new%20brace%201.JPG

I got a brand new old stock Brace from a local club member (cheers Marty)

Ex%20brace%20welded%20in.JPG

Next was to cut that good floor above the jacking points on both sides. I wanted to remove all the dirt from the jacking points and remove any rust before it ending up eating away the jacking points and the floor.

Ex%20Jacking%20point.JPG

Once the floor above the jacking point was cut away this is what the drivers side looked like. [:0]

Ex%20jacking%20point%202.JPG

Floor of the car was clean before the crud was removed from the jacking point.

Ex%20jacking%20point%203t.JPG

[:)]loads of lowe rust slapped into the jacking point once it was all sanded down and done with Jenolite. Ready for the new lids to go on now both sides.

Next was to tackle one of the A posts I started on the PS and cut out all the rot at the bottom

Ex%20ps%20A%20post%20lower.JPG

The spot welds were all undone the the outer skin cut of from the bottom of the hinge, rust removed from the inner skin and painted

Ex%20ps%20A%20post%20lower%202.JPG

The upper part of the sill was also gone so it was removed as well which was pictured earlier.

Ex%20ps%20A%20post%20lower%201.JPG

The new section installed from the hinge down this was taken from an 1800 hatch we scrapped which actually had good A posts, this took ages to remove from the hatch as it is spot welded in so many places, which makes them aquard to find and remove the section without damaging it, also the upper part of the sill was replaced , all in one piece. The hatch was white RIP [:)]

[:(!] O just found out need a new round washer bottle, me ficking dogs took the old one from the garage and used it as a chew stick [:0]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand icon_smile.gif

quote:Originally posted by Robbie

[:(!] O just found out need a new round washer bottle, me ficking dogs took the old one from the garage and used it as a chew stick [:0]

id="quote">id="quote">

Sorry, but that made me laugh [:I]

Might have one spare actually. Can check at the weekend if you want.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

mcrae.jpg

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

There is no word in Gaelic that can possibly convey the same level of urgency as the spanish word mañana

I had a good chuckle about it today but wasnt happy yesterday lol,

These mantas do cause a few headaches [:D]

I come to the conclusion tonight I need another garage, it gave me a sense of dea sha vous, about 2 years ago I said the same thing and ended up building another garage with the aim of having more space than i would need I could store loads of spares and get rid of the stuff I didnt need from my workshop.

Well its now full and my black 16V A series lives in there, so in the workshop is my white V8 under wraps and the Exclusive project. so its full [:(]

I got this new A series in the yard that has to be restored for a club member, so I recon I now need another heated garage for the V8 and the 16V. I been looking round the place to see where I can fit one, looks like an extension to the house is required [:0] with he same roof, I recon its going to cost but it will solve the problems.

O I can see the missus face when I explain this one [^] This could be leading up to a hetic winter, spring and part of the summer to get this lot done [:(]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

I didnt get the cold shoulder from the better half woohooo, looks like a new garage may be on the go 24ft by 26ft is the plan at the moment[:)] enough to get the 2 A,s stored properly.

OO a question for the wise B owners I need to know what transfers where on the GTE Exclusive, starmist black ones, I know they are Red but just need a list of them to order from the club shop.

cheers

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

that does not seem the same and I can't get a pic of it on the web, the stuff we use Mark actually gets from his relations store and its good kit, Now I aint a mad bilthamber fan like Joe lol, but they do a zinc primer and its is the mutts nutts, never seen a paint tin weigh as much, will be using that myself for some projects [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

quote:Originally posted by mickappy

ive 5 genuine GT/E decals here robbie in red.

u need org ones if thats going to be org[B)] [:)]

id="quote">id="quote">

[:D]I'm saying nout

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

quote:that does not seem the same and I can't get a pic of it on the,the stuff we use Mark actually gets from his relations store and its good kit, Now I aint a mad bilthamber fan like Joe lol, but they do a zinc primer and its is the mutts nutts, never seen a paint tin weigh as much, will be using that myself for some projects

id="quote">id="quote">

If possible Robbie can you give me some details on it so I can purchase some, Cheers

Rob

robah at btinternet dot com

(Nr, Inverness)

Time for a bit of an update, been flat out with so many things this past week, stripping an A series which is to be restored for a club member, and ooooooooooooops started to get the ground sorted for this new garage which is going to be 21ft by 26ft joined onto the end of the house.

Anyways time for some pics [:)]

The corner section is now repaired quite a slow job was done in 6 pieces to keep the curve correct on the car .

Ex%20ps%20bulkhead%20to%20inner%20wing.JPG

Also the upper section and the top of the A post was sorted , nice and solid in this area again [:)]

Underneath of the car has now got sorted with 3 coats of 2 pack primer

Ex%20underneath%20primed%202.JPG

Ex%20underneath%20primed%203.JPG

Ex%20underneath%20primed%204.JPG

Sill sorted and test fitted ready to go on, painted on the inside

Ex%20sill%20ready%20to%20go%20on.JPG

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

guys I need to get decals ordered form the club, can some please tell me what decals are required for the Exclusive I know they are red but need to know what ones i need and where they go [:(]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Hi Robbie,

I'm in the same boat with the decals. I need a full set of Red decals.

Contacted Paul @ the club shop but can't actually get a Sterling Postal Order from a Post Office here in Ireland.

I'm wondering if I get a Sterling Draft from the bank, will that do?

It's really hard to get hold of Paul. I sent him a mail to give me his address but there was no reply, so found the address from the club shop order form. I presume he's still at the same address?

I also need to know exactly where the decals will go.

K

A sterling draft will be fine thats no problem, Paul is hard to get [:(]

Could ask him about paypal, even paying a little on top would be a lot cheaper than a sterling draft,

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

• 2 weeks later...

been ages since this was updated, Rayn and I have been working away on the car as we get time, just both of us have to many things on this past few weeks [:(]

Both sides of the car have now been sorted out on the A posts and surrounding area.

Ex%207.JPG

top and bottom was repaired on the drivers side along with the lip being replaced

Ex%2017.JPG

underneath repaired as well, all nice and solid now and no more crusty bits

Ex%20ps%20lip%20rebuilt.JPG

where the wing bolts onto the inner wing need a good section replaced this is now sorted as well,

Apart from that the rest of the welding was just small holes round the front and rear screen plus a repair to the spare tyre well and some other minor bits.

The new sills are now on the car but i forgot to take pics, but thats the welding done and dusted apart from the sunroof which will be fun, but it leaves the underneath of the car ready to coat with stone chip then primer it again before it gets the 2 pack paint .

It,s Ryans my eldests lads project now as it's his motor and that means I get to make the tea and watch him break sweat [:D][^]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706