White GTE Coupe

ryanb

Just picked this car up a few weeks ago in england, bought on ebay.

youll see one of the pictures with the RAC van in the background, car had been lying up for 8 years and all the fuel pipes had perished. we had them out twice, first time one of the lines was leaking down on top of the exhaust manifold....not good lol. second time was only at fuel pump. but got er home anyway, few things need doing to put it the way i want her, f needs two front wings, and inner valances, a good wire brushing and a schulzt, one of the wheel arches isnt great, and the sunroof could do with a small bit of attention, and of course that hidious tailpipe has to get the shove! other than that shes 100% full service history, the guy even had his petrol account in it!

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

• 1 month later...

HI MATE

LOOKED VERY GOOD FROM THE OUTSIDE!

IS THIS THE CAR THAT THE SELLER ON EBAY SAID IT HAD NEVER SEEN A WELDER IN ITS LIFE??

IT LOOKS TO BE A GOOD PROJECT ATLEAST AVERYTHING IS THERE UN LIKE MY OLD GIRL.

HOPE TO SEE THE PROGRESS, MADE A GOOD START!!!!!!!!!!!!

RECARDO

thats her recardo !!!

in fairness, i dont think the guy knew what she was like, but on the whole i dont think its gonna be too bad. u could have the leanest car in the worls and not know whats in her til ya start stripping! im nearly glad now, because when its finished, i know exactly what i have, instead of thinkin 2 years down the line, 'why is there a puddle in the floor?' lol

more pics later tonight i would say !

thats her recardo !!!

in fairness, i dont think the guy knew what she was like, but on the whole i dont think its gonna be too bad. u could have the leanest car in the worls and not know whats in her til ya start stripping! im nearly glad now, because when its finished, i know exactly what i have, instead of thinkin 2 years down the line, 'why is there a puddle in the floor?' lol

more pics later tonight i would say !

Same here, my Exclusive was described as spotless, and to be fair, if you looked at it from underneath as an MOT tester would, then it is!

But when I lifted the carpets out it was a different story.

It's always got to be a case of "buyer beware" when it comes to Manta's and I don't mean that to be offensive or accusatory of anybody selling one!

HI MATE

LOOKED VERY GOOD FROM THE OUTSIDE!

IS THIS THE CAR THAT THE SELLER ON EBAY SAID IT HAD NEVER SEEN A WELDER IN ITS LIFE??

IT LOOKS TO BE A GOOD PROJECT ATLEAST AVERYTHING IS THERE UN LIKE MY OLD GIRL.

HOPE TO SEE THE PROGRESS, MADE A GOOD START!!!!!!!!!!!!

RECARDO

When I see these statements I always think - well its a Manta, if its never been welded its well overdue for some metal replacement :rolleyes:

At least it will be solid and you will know its condition when you are finished.

was sort of shocked to see how bad it was there ryan, thought it would have been alot stronger, with less welding,

BUT you are making a grand job of it, and as you said, it will be done right, so you wont get any nasty shocks later on.

You might want to think about cleaning it up underneath and giving it a few coat of protection, to protect your work.

the last one i done was taken down to bare metal under neath, then zinc primered, 2 pack primer, stone chipped, two back black.

look forward to seeing it out at a few shows in Ireland.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like my GTE Hatch - looked good on the surface but once carpets came out and wings off you could see all the nasty stuff underneath.

But well worth going to all the trouble as you said you get to know the car and can sort out all the bad bits before its to late!

Sholuld be a cracker when your finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Well under way now, all welding done.....massive hole in the floor at the passenger foot well that i never knew was there, and completley rotten where the floor meets the back panel at the boot, both sills completley gone and same with rear wheel arches, but were in the body shop now, completley rust free...:schicken

IMG00018-20090330-1908.jpg

IMG00024-20090330-1910.jpg

IMG00023-20090330-1909.jpg

IMG00022-20090330-1909.jpg

IMG00021-20090330-1909.jpg

IMG00020-20090330-1908.jpg

IMG00019-20090330-1908.jpg

IMG00027-20090330-1910.jpg

IMG00026-20090330-1910.jpg

Blimey you don't sit around and watch the rust bug do you.Great work.My exclusive was sold with 10 months mot and was a complete tea bag.And it's made its was out the garage on its own over the last year on a shovel.Is in rust.

• 1 month later...

holy god, nearly there.....wheels all sand-blasted, powder coated, lookin superb! any1 any tips on paintin the centres to match? the white is no problem, but getting the black in the wee ridges is a real bitch! anyway, shes painted, bumpers just need doin now, and then a wee bit of mechanics, just finish re-plumbing and new shocks,then the most important new radio, and were flying!! apologies, but the camera on my phone, is truely shite!

IMG00219-20090606-1809.jpg

IMG00220-20090606-1810.jpg

IMG00221-20090606-1812.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so theres a few more little touches before we can apply to get a thread in 'gallery'! paint runs here and there, particularly the nose-cone and back panel, just a few snags, nothing major, to be rectified next week. also have to fit rear no. plate light (thanks to lepo5 for that one!) and Petrol Cap. engine is badly out of tune and going like a washing machine! new plugs, leads, rotor arm, air filter and distrubitor cap to be fitted. tappits need setting as well. finish of the re-plumbing. fan wont work, new shocks, springs. having trouble with front bumper as regards the arm from the motor for headlamp wipers, and bumper is sitting about inch too low, because the arms are sitting too low and wont go up without serious pressure. door seals need fitted correctly as they are all over the shop, and i dont know whats goin on with the passenger side mirror, it wont sit right for me at all. new boot seal en route from dr manta, and then ordered some floor mats from www.carmats4u.com. i had the wheels blasted and powder coated, getting the centres to match was a bit of a siege tho. vaselined the black bits and sprayed whit over it, the when white dried washing vaseline out.

SNV30621.jpg

SNV30622.jpg

SNV30620.jpg

SNV30619.jpg

SNV30623.jpg

SNV30615-1.jpg

SNV30617.jpg

Lookin braw, fur wheel centre caps "Blitz" in black, gang doon yur local model shop or arti shop und get yur sell awe fine artists paint brush [Revell No 00] does thi job.

Thats thi easy bit as long as yiv awe steady hand yul bi ok gangin roond recess and painting Blitz.

Tip. jist put awe tad pressure on brush so brush hairs just spread to width for painting and nout then goes up sides.