Springs

shooie811

hi there. i would say no because having a spring with a cut off turn is essentially the same as having a broken spring.also the last turn of a spring is usually at a flat angle .if you cut a spring it can sometimes pop out of its seat under full extension. i have had the same problem as you. cavs do tend to sit quite high with standard springs.see brochures! one alternative is to fit gte springs which tend to be slightly lower.another alternative is to cut a turn off & then heat up & make the last turn sit flat but checking when installed that the spring is still firmly in situ under full extension. also you see lower springs advertised from time to time on ebay or someone may have some for sale on here.

Good advice from cam.in.head :thumbup

One of the clan manta lads has just lowered his mk1, and it's handling alot better :thumbup

Three opitions:

(1) Secondhand GT/E/Exclusive springs

(2) Buying Avo's (£90-£100)

(3) Leave it standard

ps keep the auld springs ;)

i cut all my coil springs and like cam.in.head said cut a turn off & then heat up & make the last turn sit flat : then you can put 2 steel cable tie to hold in place when jacking up so spring dose not loose its seat , going to do the same to my manta A when i sort the engine + going to fit a pair of spax shocks

i cut all my coil springs and like cam.in.head said cut a turn off & then heat up & make the last turn sit flat : then you can put 2 steel cable tie to hold in place when jacking up so spring dose not loose its seat , going to do the same to my manta A when i sort the engine + going to fit a pair of spax shocks

I've always been against cutting coils to lower a car.

But if the above advice is followed then there should be no problem whatsoever.

I'm going to be going this route myself shortly due to the fact I have a lack of cash and a shed load of coils. In fact it was Chris Burts Green Ascona that had a superb ride height that he had created from cutting the coils that set me off on the idea of taking this route.

And will echo Vealmonkey, if the cut end of the coil is heated and moved down to create a flat seat then there will be no problem whatsoever, lets face it, is this how they are made anyway?

I'm going to experiment with cutting various lengths off of the coils to see what ride height I get and what stiffness is created. more winds = softer spring

Ouch.................cutting springs........no no no no!!!!

Try these peeps http://www.springcoil.co.uk/

They made a set of lowered springs for my exclusive 400r.......fully bespoke, compression test of old spring, schematics etc, powder coated all for about £25 each.........think I paid £75 in all for collection n delivery and springs!!!

Getting them to make a set of fronts for me later this year!!

Ouch.................cutting springs........no no no no!!!!

Try these peeps http://www.springcoil.co.uk/

They made a set of lowered springs for my exclusive 400r.......fully bespoke, compression test of old spring, schematics etc, powder coated all for about £25 each.........think I paid £75 in all for collection n delivery and springs!!!

Getting them to make a set of fronts for me later this year!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting down springs. It's just making sure you do it properly that matters.

the steel in some springs are poor , i had a nova 1.5 td years a go and it allwas broke rear springs , just get a nother one from the scrapy , i only cut std springs , and never cut spax koni etc as thay are harder (more LB) than std springs i may start with a 250LB spring cut 1 rung and its 30mm lower and 300LB , i like to stiffen up the front and lower it to , and keep the same LB for the rear but lower to

You people must be all built like snakes to wriggle under a lowered car. And you obviously don't suffer the dreaded road humps. I find I have enough trouble getting under a standard car once the srprings have settled a bit for oil changes etc. And if it was any lower, the roads our way would tear the underside clean off it. Still everyone to their own ... maybe I'm just getting old, stiff, and fat.

BJ

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting down springs. It's just making sure you do it properly that matters.

Fire away then mate!

I personally wouldn't do it, irrespective if its fine when done correctly. The spring is a set length n poundage, and i couldn't bear it if a cut spring failed and caused an accident......................... :thumbup

Leading on from Stuarts post! The advice and opinions, regardless if they are true or not! are the advice/opinions of individual members/forum users.

In the very, very unlikely event? that you ended-up in accident or your car is damaged because of the advice on this thread?

Then you are solely responsible for any modification carried out, by yourself on your car.

As a Individual! I would strongly suggest, any modifactions you intend to carryout, in general? you should do your research and in relation to items of safety, such as brakes/springs,

you should contact Professionals! and not the CI5 type in mk1s/capris ;) I would strongly suggest, you should avoid cutting standard springs and seek aftermarket/GT/E springs.

[edit] Remember? not everyone has the ability/skills to carryout such modifcations and any advice relating towards manta 'road safety' has to be considered.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Shooie811,

Yes.

Me. Back in about 1998 I had a Black GTE that I had bought from a chap in Bradford (it was actually Dolphin Grey originally). Chap who re-sprayed it pointed out that springs had been cut and to chuck them asap!

Well, I didn't and about 8 months later the spring went and the result was a broken spring seat as well...................went with a bang on the way back from a pub meet in Yorkshire!

Pros and Cons are there for you to muse over............................new GTe springs are cheap enough.....PI springs off Evil bay are cheap too.

i have deided not to go down that route anymore however i know a guy selling 40 mm lowerings 4 a gte and i understand that a gte sits around 25 mm or something like that lower thatn a old style cav with the high suspension if i put these springs on will i need to change the shocks??