4-Speed Gearbox Wanted

Brown Job

Just what it says in the title really.

Searching as a matter of some urgency for a good 4-speed box from a Manta B or Cavalier Mk. 1 CIH.

Box must be in good nick and operating as it should, complete with bellhousing. Don't actually require gearstick and its convoluted rubbers, but will take them if they are with the box you have.

Needs to be within a reasonable distance of Chester - say 30-mile radius? Or else have some way of getting it to that area.

Anyone out there?

BJ

Edited by Brown Job

i have a brand new 4 speed 1.8 gearbox and i do mean brand new but ime in south wales

Sorry mate, 1.8 is the wrong bellhousing for the CIH. Nice thought though.

BJ

i have a few but im in bradford. is that too far for you ?

You're a bit far out for me but let me ask my mate if he can collect for me up your way. Get back to you within the week (I hope)

How many is "a few" and how does anyone get to have so many gearboxes - just being nosy!

BJ

ive got two if you fetch them you can have em for a pack of beer, im in barnsley s yorks.....................:thumbup

Barnsley - like Bradford, a bit out of my ground but again I will ask my mate re collection. Hope to have answer by the weekend. Or not, if he's away on a job. Nice offer, thanks

BJ

Sorry mate, 1.8 is the wrong bellhousing for the CIH. Nice thought though.

BJ

You're a bit far out for me but let me ask my mate if he can collect for me up your way. Get back to you within the week (I hope)

How many is "a few" and how does anyone get to have so many gearboxes - just being nosy!

BJ

a few is only about 6 nowadays.used to have loads more but had a clear out a while back. same goes for engines etc. been collecting for at least 20 years.when you could walk in any scrapyard & come out with a bootful of cav stuff for only a few quid !

Barnsley - like Bradford, a bit out of my ground but again I will ask my mate re collection. Hope to have answer by the weekend. Or not, if he's away on a job. Nice offer, thanks

BJ

Ive got one too but need the gear stick off it and ive no idea of condition. You collect it from Blackburn you can have it ..

Mick

Hey hey, looking up!

I'm not going to Blackburn but I might know someone who is - failing that, Gary's offer sounds good to me.

Don't actually need the gearstick, I have one on my own 'box where the selector(s) seem to be failing. Getting one of these units reconditioned is not viable so thought a replacement 'box is the best option. They're pretty tough, will chance the condition if you can get it in and out of gear OK on static trial out of the car?

Thanks for the offer. Will buy you both a beer for your trouble if it all works out. Early April is fine but I must have the car on the road for May, which is why I said "quite urgent".

BJ

i have a brand new 4 speed 1.8 gearbox and i do mean brand new but ime in south wales

You may want to clarify in your for sale add if the gearbox is a 4 speed or 5 speed as I don't think it says and most will expect the 5 speed.

If it is the 4 speed with a bolt on bell housing may still fit with a bell housing swap.

Ive got one too but need the gear stick off it and ive no idea of condition. You collect it from Blackburn you can have it ..

Mick

Hi Mick,

My mate is off sick and can't collect for me from anywhere, but you're the closest offer so far.. If Gary can collect from you I'll take your 'box please.

BJ

and if you cant get to blackburn,i dont mind collecting if mick can bring it to our next pub meet 1st friday in the month and i will drop it off for you as i go to chester every sat :thumbup

Gary,

Have pm'd you about this.

BJ

Hi Mick,

My mate is off sick and can't collect for me from anywhere, but you're the closest offer so far.. If Gary can collect from you I'll take your 'box please.

BJ

Gary,

Have pm'd you about this.

BJ

I'm often down in Chester so I could throw it out at yours if it's clean, as in call me soft but not getting the boot of my car full of oil.

Now it just needs to get to me somehow and I work near Burnley.

No problem its there whenever you need it ,sure between us all we can get it to chester for you. I will be at unit most nights this week so can wrap it up,pull gearstick off and get it ready to go ...Mick :thumbup

Mantadoc, Rutts, Garymanc, Rayman, you are all Top Men, many thanks for offers of help, I think Garymanc and I have got the thing tied up now though.

Sorry but on those grounds it's a very grateful "Thanks but no thanks" to our helpful Yorkshire members who offered boxes, would certainly have taken the offer, it's just the distance that's a no-go due to my current state of health.

BJ

Wow, see this club is ace. They call this sort of place to place small move 'The Pony Express' on other forums.

May be useful here too ?

Been following your hunt for a gearbox, Ive been looking for some linkage for a 4 speed box for a Cavalier Hatch. It's the bit that goes down the right hand side of the box and controls fore and aft movement of the gait. I think I may be missing a plastic bushe or something as gear shift is VERY sloppy. Any help wlecome

May be worth a pm to brown job as my box has all linkages etc and not sure if she will use her original ones .

Have now arranged with Rutts to meet him and give him the gearbox as i am away from Fri morning.All wrapped up in plastic and ducktape and ready to go