Front Brakes

mantaboy89

changing the front brakes on my car and not sure what to go for?

Was looking at ebc discs with green stuff pads but not sure if these will have enough stopping power.

Are the older twin piston calipers better than the later sliding calipers?

if anyone has any ideas or anything for sale that maybe suitable please let me know.

thanks

josh

You need to go for vented discs. Discs and calipers are freely available from Rekord E2 2,2i (you may need to find them on German ebay). This is a direct fit bolt on conversion that will give you a major advantage in stopping power.

Going for solid discs no matter what disc and pad you use is a bad idea if the goal is to upgrade you brakes.

Another alternative that is easier to come by in the UK are Carlton GSi front disc brakes and calipers. Theese will require some machining to fit though and they are also quite large. 288mm or 296mm diameter so anything less of 15" wheels is a no-no. Also a very cheap and extremly effective upgrade. For this to work you will need to shim 4mm (2 mm off inside of mounting surface on disc, and 2mm on mounting surface of the hub). You will also need redrilling the disc to mount it on the hub (pcd 4x90 mm on the mounting bolts on the hub if i remember correctly (please check this) ) apart from that, its plug n´ play and massive massive brakes for a fraction of the cost of EBC discs and pads.

Edited by monzta

The major difference in the swap to vented discs is that the brakes won´t fade when stressing them. Solid brakes will begin to fade when they get hot, and as vented discs are faster to cool down again, they are quickly ready for the next abuse :) This was the biggest change i noticed on my first vented disc converted Manta. So i have been going for that almost every time i had a Manta as a very good and cheap upgrade.

If you're going for decent power then apart from vented brakes i would also recommend bigger discs and larger pads to get more braking power.

The 2.2 setup isn't much of a power improvement in the braking effect but does resisit fade from overheating.

I like the audi disc/astra 16v caliper setup with the right pads.

You not only get a larger vented disc (256mm) and a modern caliper design, you also get a pad that is about twice the surface area of the 2.2/manta.

So more leverage (bigger disc) better power delivery (reliable caliper that doesn't seize) and more friction (larger pad area)

Or for a bit bigger early calibra turbo/cav 4x4 calipers and rwd cossie discs are 284mm

Or for a bit bigger early calibra turbo/cav 4x4 calipers and rwd cossie discs are 284mm

As above, don't put tiny 250 mm disc on. What's the point. Only do the conversion once.

Mickappy does a kit ( I think) to put 288 mm discs and then cally t or v6 callipers fit straight on.

all the bits mentioned above are very easily available.

I would go with the setup that mantasrme suggests, with the audi discs and cavalier/astra/calibra 2.0 calipers. Its all off the shelf stuff, and with mintex 1144 pads in the calipers you'll find you have plenty enough stopping power. As an alternative, you can also use rekord/carlton vented discs with those calipers, but you get a bit of pad overhang. Still work a treat though, used that setup on my 200hp 16v manta way back in 1996 when I was younger and drove it like it was stolen and they never faded or gave any trouble at all!

I have a pair of the audi discs with all the machining already done, ie. centre bore opened out to fit manta hub and the 4 holes redrilled for the bolts. They are vented 256 mm plain discs and have hardly been used, they have been in the garage and do exhibit some light superficial surface corrosion that would soon dissapear in use.

You would also require astra GTE Mk 2 calipers, these will bolt straight on with no modifications required. Standard Manta GTE hoses will fit. PM me if you are interested in the discs, cheers

• 2 weeks later...