OIL PRESSURE

A question for all you engine bods out there!

If i drop the engine back in, connect up all the electrics and use the old drill technique to prime the oil pump and make sure the oil is getting everywhere will i be able to get a reading like this on the oil gauge? or will it need to be running?

I know it wont be accurate but want to know if the oil pressure gauge is working before i fire her up for the first time. I know the gauge works but i have a new sender so wanted to check that so i know im all good to go from the start?

As everything is all new and i want to make sure its all run in with no issues this time 🙂

Any help or info on what to do would be great as dropping the engine back in this weekend.

Andy

Try cranking with the ignition ht lead earthed to the block and spark plugs out should get a reading but probably won't be the same as when engine is running.

Edited by hoobby

Hi Andy,

Long time no talk, sounds like you're getting there then?!

When I was priming mine, I just did it with the rocker cover off until I saw oil at the followers. You might have solid followers tho? Pressure is just pressure, right? So if the ignition switch is on, voltage at the sender, presumably the reading you would get will be right? You could always just rig up a temporary mechanical pressure gauge for testing purposes, so as to take any question about the sender out of the equation?

Hope all are well,

Fin

Hi. If you are using a drill to spin the oil pump I would imagine this will be faster than engine cranking anyway so you would definately get oil pressure building up. You would also get it as suggested above by just cranking on the starter. Unplug the coil and it should be fine even with plugs still in. 

Yes you will need ign switch on as its an electric gauge but this will show you if all is working. It should prime up fairly quickly if you greased or oiled the pump gears or filled it through the filler blank on the side . ( always very tight to undo !)

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the info. Got a new cam and want to make sure we are all good on oil pressure (or at least know the sensor is working from the start) as dont want to have to crank it too much before firing it up. 

Definitely better with plugs out.

Dropping the engine and box back in this weekend and then going to spend next week connecting it all up and checking stuff so i will so give it a test and report back on progress!

Andy

4 hours ago, moodoo said:

Hi Andy,

Long time no talk, sounds like you're getting there then?!

When I was priming mine, I just did it with the rocker cover off until I saw oil at the followers. You might have solid followers tho? Pressure is just pressure, right? So if the ignition switch is on, voltage at the sender, presumably the reading you would get will be right? You could always just rig up a temporary mechanical pressure gauge for testing purposes, so as to take any question about the sender out of the equation?

Hope all are well,

Fin

Hey Fin

It has been a while. Im all good, i hope things are with you?

Got a very expensive ENEM cam and dont want to have to spend a lot of time messing about and cranking it over to get pressure.

Done a bit of a test run with it on the engine stand and primed it with the drill and have oil to the followers, so i know the oil pump is working ok but want to make sure i can see the pressure gauge working so when im starting it for the first time i know i can run it up and bed the cam in knowing im getting oil pressure as i dont want to have to stop and start a few times before i can then bed the cam in!

Im almost there, lifting the body up on Friday morning and then my mate is coming over so we can get the engine off the stand and onto the front cross member, then its connect up the box, clutch, steering and start her up! all being ok then its off for the MOT and then running in and then tune up! so we might be back on the road by the end of the summer!

Any progress on yours?

Andy