Make and mend manta

hoobby

Should have started this last year but didn't think :rolleyes: there would be so much to do on a car that sat around for 11 years and maybe this will help some of you out there.so today's make and mend is the fuel tank cover panel first soaked in water and layed on a flat surface and piled paving slabs on it and left to dry to remove all the distortion very pleased with the result.top fixing edge was torn and very weak

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

at work there are always cardboard box edge protectors kicking about

a bit of cleaning and contact adhesive 

torn fixing hole repair used an old store card cut to shape and sanded 

you may have noticed the bottom fixing edge has disappeared if anyone can send a pic I'm sure I can fabricate something up.once I'm happy will resray black and have a friend who is a draughtsman and fantastic at free hand drawing do some design graphics on it .....and now got to clean up the kitchen (inside garage) as " it's NOT a bloody garage !" bless her.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cam.in.head said:

this is why were classic enthusiasts. 

we can fix owt !

the modern brigade in their plastic euroboxes dont understand us but thats ok ,we dont understand them either !

What he says  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^  :lol:

radiator tray now this one is really bad what genius thought this type of material would be perfect for the job. kitchen now clean so it had a hot bath and outside drying using the same technique but with wood cut to size underneath so it doesn't get crushed.

things considered I feel it's a waste on time refitting this  so just getting it good enough as a template and have one made in stainless and again graphics.may I just state don't let it soak for too long as I feel the black layer will start to separate on edges and damaged areas .

Edited by hoobby

Fantastic is it for sale by any chance? If not could you give accurate measurements and angles I'm guessing all 90 degree bends? Will help making a new one.

Edited by hoobby

Wayne no hurry.well it's a big improvement tho the surface finish is terrible once it's dried out completely contact adhesive on the bottom of the bends can see where it has torn away  then going to try sanding got to be careful as this material is very fiberrous and finnished in Matt black in an attempt to obscure any imperfections.

Edited by hoobby

Hopefully l get to it on Monday as have painted sticky today,Turned out quite well 

16 hours ago, hoobby said:

Fantastic is it for sale by any chance? If not could you give accurate measurements and angles I'm guessing all 90 degree bends? Will help making a new one.

If you like it just pay for postage 

• Like 1

Ok thanks Wayne to be honest think I'm flogging a dead horse with this one just removed the soggy now 3 piece rad surround it's crumbling away not even sure what shape the bottom bit should be may have something made up but can't really see the point as not seen.this truly is a poor choice of material for this job.

Edited by hoobby

9 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

Obviously a matter of originality or personal taste. Early mantas and cavs didn't have them anyway so not realy necessary.cant see what it actually does bar maybee direct a bit of air better ?

Yeah it was to force the air through the core of the rad front of the car rather then let it circulate hot engine bar air 

No problem I'm in no hurry by the way sticky looks much better now it's sticky less wish you all the luck with it.as for all that trim round the radiator....I have a cunning plan.

Edited by hoobby
Cunning plan.

On 26/07/2019 at 21:53, ®evo03 said:

Could a damaged rear tank trim be used to create a better radiator air tray.

I don't see why not It's made of the same material the only problem will be bending as the inside of bend will compress and buckle and the outside will stretch and tear.i have ordered a sample 3mm sheet of greyboard and going to experiment with it to see what it can do.also got a couple of lengths of 60mm box edge protectors for the lower rad trim just have to cut to length and shape.will update my results but won't be for a while as it's all out to get a mot as it's our wedding anniversary on Saturday though it would be a nice touch to go out for a meal with the manta...err....hmmm...err...oh and the wife can come to.

Edited by hoobby
  • Like 1

This was a mock-up of one l made a few years ago 

Have got the cover down,Here’s so photos 

if you what let me know,we’ll send for the cost of post

Will have to find a box as well

• 1 month later...

I had lots of badly corroded electrical block connectors tried using a needle file but was hopeless but found this on YouTube.as an example used the badly corroded  3-way from the rear brakes.Dissolve of much salt as you can into distilled vinegar and allow to soak for a few hours in a cup  in this case overnight.

Edited by hoobby
  • Like 3