Make and mend manta

hoobby

Ok back to the radiator tray so what happens when you bend 3mm thick grey board tried it dry,wet and steam.inside of bend not too bad but not very good.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

of bend....well errr...:o...disaster!!! To be honest already had a good idea it would end this way

oh well back too the drawing board.

That looks like a kind of fibre board Graeme, which by the nature of its construction/manufacture will always be very difficult to bend or cut with any precision.

Have you thought about another type of material? What about a thin sheet Plastic (that you could try to heat form) or Steel for example?

I have a sheet Steel bender you are welcome to borrow, or you can pop round and we can bend it here. The max bed length on the bender is 765 mm (around 30"). Unfortunately, I dont have that much Steel left though to make it out of - sorry!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ian that's a great offer and will take you up on it one day over winter but what I really could do with is your magic holy hands to place upon my manta,chant those magic words demon's be gone or bloody work you ****** and remove the curse  (brakeim nonus stoperati)  😈.

Edited by hoobby
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Yes one of the fixings for the boot spoiler corroded away the others are not far behind it straightened up found a bolt to fit a dug all the loose rust out epoxy resin and cross fingers.

Don't worry I will fix it properly in the near future and as I'm x-ray trained going to get some pics and see where best to cut to get the old frame out new one probably be stainless steel end of problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Gap seems far better, but still is that right?
still seems a little big, but I can’t remember what they looked like on my old cars as it had been so long 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes it's no as good as it should be but really really think if I bend it around much more something's going to break so not perfect but won't see it in the mirror bending out above 50mph or worse coming off all the boot spoilers will need re-framing then I can bend them to my hearts content.pic of the other side

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mikes thread reminded me I had some box protectors 60x60 so I went for it considering I have the artist talent and patients of a Neanderthal didn't come out too bad just need to use some acrylic paint to colour and seal.🐒.

• Like 6

On 12/04/2020 at 14:39, hoobby said:

Yes it's no as good as it should be but really really think if I bend it around much more something's going to break so not perfect but won't see it in the mirror bending out above 50mph or worse coming off all the boot spoilers will need re-framing then I can bend them to my hearts content.pic of the other side

If you have a look at the photos of the 1800KM Exclusive currently up for grabs there are some decent photos showing the gap when new. Best viewed on a tablet as you can zoom in to the details much better than on a PC. 

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/opel-manta-b-gsi-exclusiv-neuwagen/1397845926-216-8154?utm_source=copyToPasteboard&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_medium=social&utm_content=app_ios

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Removed  and broke the rev needle I think the uv's had made it very brittle..:D...that's my excuse anyway.

Went for jb weld for strength and plenty of time to get things straight tho waited 24hrs before doing the next bit.

Things went from bad to worse the needle shaft just broke up in my hand.

One tooth  pick latter

Yes way too much jb weld and yes I did manage to break the rear heal off needle as well

A bit of fine filler and a little paint don't think anyone would notice.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Had a really bad day with the manta over the weekend boot hinge snapped and two of the fixings broke on the boot side spoiler (rust what else)  going to replace the steel frame not going to bond the spoiler back on as will lose it if it comes loose and the rot just going to keep expanding the foam until it splits.

Two hours later 

Would something like this help you out? They are ERF rear mud flap retaining brackets ive had in my shed for years, NOS. I can’t sell them, none of the classic truck lads want them. They have 6mm threads (10mm nut) on them. You could cut it down to suit maybe?

• Like 2

Cheers Steve but I'm going with replica frame as I've cut just enough foam to get the old frame out it's like a mold in there ready for the new frame just thought best way to get it right.

Boot hinge arrived today (cheers mantasrme)  drilled the splayed rivet can't get square on but kept drilling at an angle and rotating it a couple of taps with a punch and out.

Drilled a 8mm hole straight through the fixing this way I keep the bush and ground flat at the back 

8mm nut and bolt job done 

Now the new bracket is painted thought I would see how badly the old one was bent 

Never could get the boot to line up properly now I know why.

Edited by hoobby
  • Like 4

Great work, and fixes! Any luck with shark fins! 

Have you ever used this!, its great for stuff like this 95% stuck, 5% flexability, can be tidied with a dremel and overpainted. 

https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-asus-rev&biw=602&bih=964&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=upol+tiger+seal&oq=upol+tiger+seal&aqs=mobile-gws-lite..0l5#imgrc=CVbui7Hgh73QgM

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2021 at 21:28, ®evo03 said:

Any luck with shark fins! 

Have ordered up 2 meters of 5mm 304 s/steel rod for the frame (need just under 1 meter per fin) and 1 meter of M6 304 threaded rod for the fixings will look around for someone to weld it up on Monday also got some tiger seal and tried it out on two pieces that I had cut out then after 24 hrs pull the two apart took some force and only came apart cos the rubber foam ripped.

I have been looking at the main spoiler (which I plan to reframe during the winter) on the boot there will be 3 small frames with two fixings but got a feeling the frame will run across the full length joining the 3 frames together possibly front and back if anyone has one of these spoilers off could you put an ohm meter on the fixings far left and right to see if it gets a circuit or a stud finder to track the frame see where it goes not going to remove mine yet as think a lot of the fixings will break if I undo them.

Not good at all only a matter of time until it splits.

Edited by hoobby
Tiger seal

• 1 month later...
On 11/04/2020 at 19:39, hoobby said:

Yes one of the fixings for the boot spoiler corroded away the others are not far behind it straightened up found a bolt to fit a dug all the loose rust out epoxy resin and cross fingers.

Don't worry I will fix it properly in the near future and as I'm x-ray trained going to get some pics and see where best to cut to get the old frame out new one probably be stainless steel end of problem.

Well that came back to haunt me absolute pig to get out!.

Stated on the offside fin had to stop as dum dum cut his right middle finger down to the bone last month hit a few important things in there luckily the bone stopped the glass cutting right through anything  I new there was a reason why I hate DIY.

52 minutes ago, Exclusive Opel said:

few choice words used.

not sure how many of them are in the dictionary :o

after 4 weeks can close my hand now and grip things lightly had to wear a splint to allow the tendon and sheath to heal but looks like everything still works if not painfully. 

Edited by hoobby

19 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

That us really useful info, it's definitely worth pulling the rods out and replacing in SS for sure. 
What you using to bond them back in once done mate?

Going for tiger seal for flexible and bonding already tried out on two bits of off cuts 24hrs later only got them apart because the foam failed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1