1987 manta gte 2litre fuel electronic fuel pump

marksmanta47

Evening lads - I have a manta project - no fuel tank or pump - looking for a cheap electronic fuel pump that I can use to get the car mobile- getting too old to push it ( me and the car ) would this do the job linked to a temp fuel tank inside the car ? Cheers in advance 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F151571969709

There are a lot of copy Bosch pumps around I payed nearly 100 for a genuine Bosch one from rally and competion last summer and it is very quiet compared to a surposed Bosch one I had of eBay for 45 quid that makes soon noise when asked to provide 3.5bar pressure hence y I changed it sounded like a strangled cat but still worked I didn’t want to chance my nice new forged pistons getting melted at 8000rpm when It gave up 🙂 

Best pumps are the original ones of manta Astra gtes nova gtes and cav gsi etc

• Like 2

Absolutely correct, for long term a genuine Bosch from reputable shop is the best option.

as John warns, be aware of cheap copy/fakes on eBay. Some even look very much like original, but if it’s too cheap rule applies. There are also reputable stores on eBay though, if in doubt ask here.
But there are some half decent alternatives, let’s call them clones, by other companies. But they do tend to be a little noisy in comparison.

Buying something really cheap to just get you started so you can move it about? Your going to need a good pump anyway, so buy a proper one now will save you long term.

• Like 3

I stick to Bosch.....although mine is an uprated version ....plus use a larger Jag XJ6 fuel filter which is a straight swop for Manta one, just need a larger jubillee clip to attach to bracket..

ps The standard pump is good for about  200bhp.. (50hp per injector).

• Like 4

Cheers lads - I’m not 100% sure if this project will ever get finished so for the time being a cheap one to get it mobile will suffice - I was more concerned with delivering enough fuel to get it idling - it won’t be going on the motorway anytime soon - thanks for all the advice - it’s good to have experts / enthusiasts at hand - hopefully it’ll get finished - if so it’ll get treat to a Bosch pump 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Genuine Bosch pumps come in a blue box with the print a matt texture. Fakes have a gloss texture to the packaging. Fakes come with a small bag of fittings, genuine ones have no fittings, fakes have no quality control indentations on the pump body, genuine ones have QC holes drilled at the top and centre of the body. Genuine ones have a slightly oily smell when taken out of the plastic wrapping, this is the machine oil used in production whereas fakes don’t have this.  Lastly the letters stamped on the pump body are clear and concise whereas the fakes are an obvious poorer quality 

i would avoid ebay as there are too many fakes and go to a Bosch authorised dealer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers - as mentioned it’s only to get it going - pump came with no fittings in a vacuum sealed pack and it had an oily smell and light coating of oil - Spade connector fittings - when powered up it is very quiet - for £15 it’ll do to move the car around the garage when needs be - 

I bought my feul pump from Edelschmiede, very cheap but cause my car-parts shop in my hometown is closed. Costed me 36€ without shipping. No brand founded on the pump, only the "Edelschmiede" mark and his partnr. The pump has got connections with it to change the original spade-connectors like those cheap ones. But it definitely smells like penetrating oil.

I am also a bit sispicious but I will have to do with it, will take a spare one whit me when I take it out for a long drive...

• Like 1