Petrol tank gasket sealant, which one?

On the A series it has a cork gasket where the fuel float level goes into the tank and even though i have tried a new cork gasket i cant get it to stop weeping and its starting to drive me mad now!!

So any advice on how best to seal it? any recommendations on what to seal it with or an alternative gasket?

I have seen that people like Opel GT Source in the US do a rubber gasket but cant seem to find one over here and don't want to have to spend loads on shipping etc.. just for a gasket.

Any help would be great.

Andy

Thanks Herman

i just need to find one that i can order where the postage is cheaper than the part 🙂

Any idea what type of rubber they use? maybe i could get some and make it from the original?

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Andy, I think a Viton gasket would be suitable. You’d only need a small piece, I might have some spare Viton pieces in work, I could look on Tuesday. 

I’ve never used it, but hylomar blue is supposed to be fuel resistant. Not sure about it in a tank though, you don’t want any stray bits getting sucked into the fuel system!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moodoo said:

Hi Andy, I think a Viton gasket would be suitable. You’d only need a small piece, I might have some spare Viton pieces in work, I could look on Tuesday. 

I’ve never used it, but hylomar blue is supposed to be fuel resistant. Not sure about it in a tank though, you don’t want any stray bits getting sucked into the fuel system!

Thanks, Fin

I will try tomorrow to see if they can let me know the dimension of the Porsche one and if no good i will let you know. I drained the fule from the tank today and have the sender out so i can use the old one as a template!

I never had issues before but just cant get this last cork one to seal and would rather try to sort it out without sealant as you say, could cause an issue if any gets into the tank.

10 hours ago, Exclusive Opel said:

I used Hylomar blue on my cork gasket and it's never leaked. If the A gasket is the same as a B, I have a template if you need it.

Thanks for the offer, not sure if its the same but pulled the one out of mine today so i can measure and see if the Porsche is the same. They use the VDO, so same as the manta so might be lucky!! 

13 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Andy, looked on that website to the gasket and it could be a match. Googled the porsche partnr. but no dimensions found.

I did the same thing herman! Will call them tomorrow and see if they can measure. I will let you know what they say.

• Like 1

I endorse using Hylomar Blue on the gasket.  I replaced the sender on my A series about six months ago, using a cork gasket with a light smear of this silicon sealant on either side and there has been no sign of a leak or petrol fumes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, malbasys said:

I endorse using Hylomar Blue on the gasket.  I replaced the sender on my A series about six months ago, using a cork gasket with a light smear of this silicon sealant on either side and there has been no sign of a leak or petrol fumes.

Im going to see if i can get a rubber one first and then if not i shall try the old Hylomar on the cork one!