Irish blue

1200bandit

Manta going for the MOT in the morning ( fist one in many years) 

Most things done,just headlight adjust which l can’t check probably 

Just bought a Clio sunroof as the roof on mine is a bit of a cock up 

Can someone give me the position,measurements of where to cut the roof as you only get one go at this

1 hour ago, 1200bandit said:

Can someone give me the position,measurements of where to cut the roof as you only get one go at this

Hopefully someone can get you this information sooner but if not I can measure mine up at the weekend. It’s not a Clio roof but it is an aftermarket one made by Skyport.

That’s the manta MOT for a year.clean sheet as well

The N/S door mirror is a bit slack on the adjuster and drops down is the any way the make more secure 

Edited by 1200bandit
  • Like 2

There is a plastic spacer or washer, means dismantling the mirror housing. Think this stop the mirror falling.  

Doubt you are going to find one, material would be similar to plastic tub, recycling bin raid. Example, flat ice cream tub. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

There is a plastic spacer or washer, means dismantling the mirror housing. Think this stop the mirror falling.  

Doubt you are going to find one, material would be similar to plastic tub, recycling bin raid. Example, flat ice cream tub. 

Nylon washers of various sizes are available. Just search on eBay. Even think spacer types and standoffs easy to buy now. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

The overall size of my Skyport glass sunroof is 920mm x 450mm.

The hole in the roof is 215mm from the windscreen rubber. I don’t think it should be any further forward as the roof starts to curve more as you get closer to the windscreen.

Inside the car there is enough room for the sun visors in front of the roof and about 90mm at the rear (from the sunroof frame to the built in roll bar).

It looks right for the size of roof I have but you may need to tweak these dimensions if the Clio roof is any bigger.

Left to right the roof is obviously central.

I would try and can get measurements from someone who has actually fitted a Clio roof before you start cutting. 😬

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

The N/S door mirror is a bit slack on the adjuster and drops down is the any way the make more secure 

If the mirror is twisting down in the wind at speed there are 2 small screws you can tighten

If you take the mirror off the door, and remove the rubber gasket the 2 small screws are there. Mine didn’t need much tightening to stop the mirror twisting.

May work😊

Edited by Moonmonkey
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

So the Manta HAS 12 months MOT . 6 months road tax 

Got to to do little jobs ,door mirror ect 

Pulls like a train,and goes like rocket ( or is that is because not been in one for 3/4 years) 

Dont think l will be posting as much as the is not a lot to do

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 1200bandit said:

Pulls like a train,and goes like rocket ( or is that is because not been in one for 3/4 years) 

Still nice to see some pictures when you are out and about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Great to hear. But they do feel faster than they really are, soooo much fun to drive 😁

• Like 1

Fixed the N/s door mirror,remove from the door 

Striped the adjuster arm clean and pack with grease 

Removed the lower cover ,removed the screw,made a washer out of a plastic milk bottle top. Maybe the spring bigger by opening it up refit the mirror 

When for a test run (about 30 miles) only local on the motorway the N/S did not move,got to do the same to the O/S mirror as that moved 

This manta runs excellent,oil pressure has gone of it head again,will live with it

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When l do the o/s one will post photos of the milk bottle top before and after,best thing is it quick and the cost is £0.00 

The sunroof arrived yesterday.

So that a job l am not looking forward to as is one shot deal 

Its a Clio sunroof ( as most are) so if any one can give me the measurements will make the job less difficult.

The roof has been cocked up so l have no outline to work from.was thinking that if l remove the paint from the roof l might get a outline on the roof will post a photo tomorrow of the roof 

Edited by 1200bandit

Okay here’s some photos of the roof 

Going to fit a Clio sunroof,the roof has been cocked up

As you can see (hopefully) the is no line where the sunroof should be ,so no reference point on the roof 

What is the best way to go about this 

Was thinking remove the paint and work my way out until l find a reference line,don’t know if is been welded 

5 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Okay here’s some photos of the roof 

Going to fit a Clio sunroof,the roof has been cocked up

As you can see (hopefully) the is no line where the sunroof should be ,so no reference point on the roof 

What is the best way to go about this 

Was thinking remove the paint and work my way out until l find a reference line,don’t know if is been welded 

Is the Clio roof bigger? Personally I would start with a smaller hole in the middle and work my way out to the edge of the old sunroof and remove it in its entirety. To ensure a good leakproof fit you want a nice clean perimeter. Although the hole may be bigger than the Clio at least it’s in the right place. 

I sealed around mine with butyl rubber tape. You can’t put too much in - it just squeezes out as you progressively tighten the fixings. Mine continued to squeeze out for several days after I installed it. It never fully sets so can be trimmed off at any time. 

• Like 1

If you’re definitely doing it, then I would get the paint off around r=the seal to see how it’s done. It might be bonded and then filled, or partially welded as you say. But better to know what you are dealing with first and then you can figure the positioning of the Clio sunroof. 

• Like 1

The way this has been done ( by previous owner) quickly and easily route

l think it will be bonded in as the roof is not distorted, lt looking like the cocky as blown out on the rear of the sun roof 

Not looking forward to this 

• Like 1

Drilling up from below will find your reference point, one on each side of the corner, 8 holes  in total. If you know what I mean. 

A clean cut from the outside will find any filler depth etc, bare in mind most of these go along back edge, as the cassette inside is the issue. And it will be where the cassette is fixed to the outer skin. 

While you are at it make sure sponge is removed from this area, as that along with blocked drains where the issue all along. 

Brave man, needs a brave man's drink before cutting commences. 

It is a shame someone has and continues to (restore) cars in this way. 

Either way, your repair will be final. Option no 2, new skin. 

Just in case, calibra sunroof is bigger than manta. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Drilling up from below will find your reference point, one on each side of the corner, 8 holes  in total. If you know what I mean. 

A clean cut from the outside will find any filler depth etc, bare in mind most of these go along back edge, as the cassette inside is the issue. And it will be where the cassette is fixed to the outer skin. 

While you are at it make sure sponge is removed from this area, as that along with blocked drains where the issue all along. 

Brave man, needs a brave man's drink before cutting commences. 

It is a shame someone has and continues to (restore) cars in this way. 

Either way, your repair will be final. Option no 2, new skin. 

Just in case, calibra sunroof is bigger than manta. 

Will be on the whiskey before and hopefully after.l am going to build myself up to do this.or might leave it for a bit and enjoy driving the manta.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Will be on the whiskey before and hopefully after.l am going to build myself up to do this.or might leave it for a bit and enjoy driving the manta.

Yeah, just leave it mate. Winter project 👍

• Like 1

Today get the windows painted so can’t do a lot

l know l will do the drives side door mirror.what a pain 

got the plastic adjuster of ,remove the door mirror ,

The first photo is the  home made tools,works well( don’t do this when it cold as the tads will snap off.

clean and lubricant the adjuster mechanism 

The real reason was to stop the door pointing down on the motorway 

The small screw very tight coming out ,the big one sized solid 

did get small movement on the screw,but will not come out 

So drill the head off the screw,pulled it apart,put the screw that’s left in the mirror body inti the vice,very slight movement backwards and forwards 

Then it snapped, drilled the snapped bit out had to to 6mm bolt, made the spring a bit longer.the bolt will not go through the spring.drill the spring out 6mm bolt go’s through.

Putting back together the thread hole is very slightly out,tried stud slightly bent the stud no good,
made the threads longer into the mirror body.got a long bolt and it pulled home,refitted and nice and stiff,the green top is what l used to make the washer 

All this just for a minor 

On 19/05/2023 at 19:29, Jonathan Pounsett said:

These are the posts I like best as they are useful to loads of us and plenty of supporting photos show exactly what you’ve done.

Great job!

As requested 

Edited by 1200bandit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snap on 17mm socket for the outer diameter (,23.84mm)

12mm cheep socket for the inner diameter (17mm)

the inner diameter is a bit tight but works fine 

As you can see on photo made the spring bigger 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1