Irish blue

1200bandit

autocorrect made that unreadable ! 

above the oil filter is a blank plug. used for priming the filter but in reality this plug is never used for such purpose and becomes absolutely stuck solid. they are not a particularly strong grade of metal either !.

i beleive in the 2.4 frontera engine they fit it on the other side above the oil pump ? ? 

ive had very little sucess  removing them over the years. 

• Like 1

Oil pressure sensor arrived today,made a little fly loom up don’t what to struggle when trying to fit the wiring to the sensor 

Looking like l will have removed the inlet manifold again,but will try from underneath 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 3

On 05/01/2023 at 20:33, cam.in.head said:

autocorrect made that unreadable ! 

above the oil filter is a blank plug. used for priming the filter but in reality this plug is never used for such purpose and becomes absolutely stuck solid. they are not a particularly strong grade of metal either !.

i beleive in the 2.4 frontera engine they fit it on the other side above the oil pump ? ? 

ive had very little sucess  removing them over the years. 

Never knew that was what the plug was for above the oil filter. Like everyone else I guess, I just fill my filters with oil before fitting.

You're right about the 2.4 Frontera engine - arrowed in this pic.

Shame those allen key plugs are so darn tricky to remove. I did several rebuilds of the oil pump on my 2.0 CIH and the plug above that is what you're supposed to remove to prime the pump before running. Had to just grease the pump gears instead while trying to keep everything else grease free including the anaerobic sealer on the mating faces. Right pain in the proverbial! 😠

On 05/01/2023 at 18:52, Jessopia74 said:

It can be done, but I believe the reason it’s on the block originally is so that it takes the wear into consideration ( pressure drop across the block journal’s) 

That's a good point mate!

when i get chance i will double check on my spares pile but im pretty sure that gallery that runs along the left side of the engine (from standing infont) is purely to feed the main crank journals.and the plug above the oil filter is basically at one end of it.the original pressure switch being at the other end.so the pressure along its entire length should remain constant and regulated by the overpressure valve.the feed up to the head and timing chain comes up the timing case cover itself.

but like has been mentioned.the plug is usually impossible to undo anyway and once the pressure sensor is fitted in its original place with new wires it should be ok for many years anyway.

it can be removed and refitted with all the manifolds and exhaust in place with a suitable spanner .even the angle piece. tricky yes but better than removing other bits if you dont need to !

all reachable from the gap at the side of the brake master cyl.

7 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Remove the wiring from the pressure sensor, wire up the new sensor,earth it to battery,and now l have a oil light on the dash.

The wiring can go the wrong way around and then on oil light on dash 

it can yes but theres a 50% chance. how lucky do you feel !

looking at your pictures ,the originals have screw terminals and i used ring ends on mine . your new one looks like its a peened over spade but as its all new should be ok. so long as its the correct thread and electrical range all should be well.  

Edited by cam.in.head
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have tried t9 remove the bung ,blank and as expected it’s well sized in , don’t what to put to much grunt on it as the casting may get damaged 

Deep joy?

Had some whiskey when done this .l have just looked at this do applause for the bad typing,Well it is Friday night 

Edited by 1200bandit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Have tried t9 remove the bung ,blank and as expected it’s well sized in , don’t what to put to much grunt on it as the casting may get damaged 

Deep joy?

Had some whiskey when done this .l have just looked at this do applause for the bad typing,Well it is Friday night 

Enjoy mate 🍻😁

I'm happy with our "continental" Manta's. No brakemaster cilinder/booster, no steering collumn/rack on that side. And our exhaust manifold is wider to the outside. Makes fiddeling on that oil contact easier:

When I notice that 7mm hex plug is stuck: Make sure it is clean so you can fit the key completely in, don't use a worn key or one that is already "bended". Best of all a hexagon socket that you can tap with a hammer.

Edited by H-400
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, H-400 said:

I'm happy with our "continental" Manta's. No brakemaster cilinder/booster, no steering collumn/rack on that side. And our exhaust manifold is wider to the outside. Makes fiddeling on that oil contact easier:

When I notice that 7mm hex plug is stuck: Make sure it is clean so you can fit the key completely in, don't use a worn key or one that is already "bended". Best of all a hexagon socket that you can tap with a hammer.

Yeah, it’s very tight in the RHD cars to get everything fitted in there, tbh opel design did a great job originally 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

when i get chance i will double check on my spares pile but im pretty sure that gallery that runs along the left side of the engine (from standing infont) is purely to feed the main crank journals.and the plug above the oil filter is basically at one end of it.the original pressure switch being at the other end.so the pressure along its entire length should remain constant and regulated by the overpressure valve.the feed up to the head and timing chain comes up the timing case cover itself.

but like has been mentioned.the plug is usually impossible to undo anyway and once the pressure sensor is fitted in its original place with new wires it should be ok for many years anyway.

it can be removed and refitted with all the manifolds and exhaust in place with a suitable spanner .even the angle piece. tricky yes but better than removing other bits if you dont need to !

all reachable from the gap at the side of the brake master cyl.

it can yes but theres a 50% chance. how lucky do you feel !

looking at your pictures ,the originals have screw terminals and i used ring ends on mine . your new one looks like its a peened over spade but as its all new should be ok. so long as its the correct thread and electrical range all should be well.  

The original one has 2 spade contact’s,one of which fell of .
Have made a fly loom so l know which way around the wiring they go 

Got home from work,had a very mucky day ,so l thought l will jack up the manta ( on axal stand’s). Was going to leave it at that 

Had a look where the oil sensor is . Can see it from under the engine Was expecting to be there for a few hours.

3 minutes later it was off , got the new one ,wrong one ,incorrect thread mine is a fine thread, Anyone what buy a oil pressure sensor 

Edited by 1200bandit

13 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

now its off and you see its relatively easy,why not solder your new wires straight onto the original unit and try it ? 

it will more than likely be ok . sorry if you do it and it isnt but worth a try !

One of the contacts has snapped inside the pressure switch and is spinning around 

Does anyone know the original part number so lt can get cross reference 

18 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

im pretty sure they are  m10x1. straight.with a copper sealing washer.

as far as i know the thread size is stamped on the size where the spanner fits. 

block is m14 for the adapter /elbow piece.

Did check it in work today it is a 12 x 1 . Thanks fo the information 

• 2 weeks later...