Water ingress - soggy carpet on Drivers side

IanMc

Hi All,

After sitting outside since May, my '79 Cav Coupe has had water get inside making the drivers side front carpet very, very wet.

The affected are starts below the pedals and extends back to the front seat mounting rail. Any ideas where to start to look for the entry point?

I am currently laying old newspaper down a couple of times a day to soak it up, but I guess I probably need to get the carpet up and out really to give the floor the best chance of not rotting (again!).

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Hi Ian, Thats a pain after all your hard work.

Check the door seal, any damage to it, did you replace it, also front windscreen can be an issue, did you seal it after putting it back in.

Check there isn't a hole in the a pillar for the aerial cable if not used, look up under the wing.

Sometimes water can go down in side the door and run out over the top of the door seal, check for any drips there.

Good Luck

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 611 said:

Where is the battery on the Cav? as the A series used to leak in from under the battery tray but i have no clue about the setup on the Cav.

The battery is on the opposite side mate (which is bone dry).

The washer reservoir is on the ‘wet side’.

• Like 1

Check bulk head area, clutch cable, pedal box area, heater box seal, grommet behind washer bottle where wiring loom goes through. 

Had a bad leak in a golf, had to remove seat, remove carpet, remove sound deadening, and stick seat back in, there was a plastic tray on bulk head refitted with silicone sealant, 2 hrs cleaning, and proper sealant used! Tigerseal. 

took a few weeks to dry out sound deadening after i washed it, 

Although its only rain water, it does stink once soaked in, musty etc.

Best bet is to strip out carpet and watch for water, surprising how much gets in. 

Great to see you doing a bit! 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as evo says above all areas to check.

most likely in my experience would be windscreen leaking but definately worth taking out the carpet on that side and getting everything wiped up .a hose pipeand a good torch should find the leak but sometimes they can be a bugger to trace !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1