Cavalier Coupe

IanG

the reflectors obviously would make a huge difference. mine too have got new standard headlamps (H4 with the proper metal refectors )found on ebay for good prices . think i paid £30 for the most expensive.( this was a fewyears back) and they are absolutely fine. perfect beam pattern with a nice crisp cutoff line . not like some of the idiots round my area who have put leds( possibly ?) in .

all you see is a super bright blob of light that illuminates everything.

3 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

No one else has said it so I might as well, headlight brightness sums up.......that attitude, as long as I'm alright, I'm brighter than you, i don't give a......yuck

Try it on a B road, dark, rain on helmet visor, it's kinda trippy at 60 mph. But hey that doesn't matter. Does it......😎😎😎

Plenty of bikes don’t ride in accordance with the rules of any roads, and still have a problem with any light setting than high beam. So it’s same I guess

Plenty of tar brushing, for some. 

High beam is for the haters who say, sorry mate, didn't see you.  WTF, blind people shouldn't be driving, what they mean to say is, I didn't see you as you're not important. 

Don't get me started on filtering, see highway code 👍🤣

Auto lights, auto main beam, auto wipers, folding mirrors, autonomous driving, brake assist, lane assist, park assist, soon you won’t need to pass a driving test just be able to manage your cars computer…….

• Like 1

i know . its absolutely ridiculous and un necesarry . thankgoodness we have our proper cars to drive . and lets be honest a cav mk1 or manta drives nicer than ANY modern car in every respect . obviously  some other gm products like the carlton senator and omega are excellent too but you get my point . proper cars that you actually drive and make decisions over . and dont get me wrong its not the "rose tinted glasses syndrome" i drive many a modern / current car at work and also drive my own mk1's as dailys and i know what i prefer !  its not just the stupid un nesessary features but modern  cars are just too unconnected . hard seats . firm suspension. etc etc . 

• 2 weeks later...

Took the car for a run today, to get fuel, ran fine and now the auto box is rebuilt kicks down nicely, keeps up well in traffic and has plenty of grunt to get past the slower Sunday drivers out there, although I guess I am one of them 😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

yes plenty enough power realy . only the 1.6 is a bit lethargic with an auto ( dont think it was offered on a 1256 ?) but 1.9 and above are fine . it always feels great to get back in the cav after being in any modern car at work . they will never make any car again thats like ours . gm products stopped being "proper cars" after the omega realy !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

yes plenty enough power realy . only the 1.6 is a bit lethargic with an auto ( dont think it was offered on a 1256 ?) but 1.9 and above are fine . it always feels great to get back in the cav after being in any modern car at work . they will never make any car again thats like ours . gm products stopped being "proper cars" after the omega realy !

What is the supposed 0-60 for a 2.0 carb coupe, I’m guessing around 10secs in good order?

• Like 1

around 8.5 with injection so yes possible around 10 / 10.5 with a carb. longer i would imagine with  an auto.  but lets face it . it is fast enough. modern cars with their stupid fast acceleration dont acheive anything in my book. you can only drive to the limit and with roads being as busy as they are now you cant always do that. as a comparison my omega 2,6 is stupidly fast off the mark but you never realy need it to be and i cant remember anytime ive ever pushed the pedal down fully !

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

around 8.5 with injection so yes possible around 10 / 10.5 with a carb. longer i would imagine with  an auto.  but lets face it . it is fast enough. modern cars with their stupid fast acceleration dont acheive anything in my book. you can only drive to the limit and with roads being as busy as they are now you cant always do that. as a comparison my omega 2,6 is stupidly fast off the mark but you never realy need it to be and i cant remember anytime ive ever pushed the pedal down fully !

That is a bit harsh, can’t stop development 😁 But I am curious,  what’s the most modern/powerful thing you have owned? 

2.6 Omega Auto  is nearly as quick as Manta GTE, although I have never really taken the GTE times seriously anyway as they always over performed tbh, even the 1.8 when you get a good carb (lol) is quick for its age. So not surprised you like it. Pretty quick car, faster than a 3.0 Senator !

2.0s was about where you stated. My very first SRB was 1.9 auto and after I modded a 2.0engine running a 40dfv carb (from capri) I had to swap it to manual as I tore through 3 flex plates. Think it was due to the 3bolt config, but they kept tearing/cracking at the bolt hole to outer edge then would make a horrid noise! 

this little calculator is pretty accurate if you want to give it a try to figure out if any mods will help.

https://www.carspecs.us/calculator/0-60

quite surprising how quick a manta can get if swapped to say a mildly modded XE or LET 😎 

development is ok to a point. most of the features etc on modern cars are not realy necesarry but done because new car owners have come to expect them and other manufacturers are copying each other.

yes my personal most powerfull car is the omega but ive driven many newer more powerfull stuff !

ice cars nowadays may be more economical and powerfull but lack any character and drive like crap.  no manufacturer now will make a soft suspension car anymore or comfy seats and ive been in a lot of new expensive cars at work ,some very powerfull but characterless nonetheless.

i know its only my opinion but at the end of the day that should be all that matters and ive always thought you cant find a better driving and handling car with good driver feedback than a mk1 cav and the omega coming in as the last great proper vauxhall .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some things are timeless, shopping guy late teens turns up I open the garage “wow a Cavalier my grandad had one then bought a Capri, always regretted selling it”, let him sit in it and took pictures for his grandad, one very happy grandson!

Edited by IanG
  • Like 2

On 24/04/2024 at 21:25, IanG said:

So I fitted new heater matrix hoses at the weekend, from Germany they are clearly for LHD and not the best fit. Anyone know if you can get a rhd set for cih or am I going to have to make my own up?

I’ve a feeling this guy doesn’t keep sets on the shelf but may be worth a try if a bit of a lead-time isn’t an issue. 
http://classicsiliconehoses.uk/

• Like 1

if you cant find any new or good used i would imagine you will have to make some .although why are you changing yours ? they usually are long lasting and seem to split at the very ends and can be trimmed back to good. sometimes however ( ive seen it a few times) they can rub through on the rocker cover clips or get caught on the throttle linkage !

the gte ones i think are different anyway to yours and one pipe goes down the side of the block rather than along to the front .

how "wrong" are the lhd ones ?

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

if you cant find any new or good used i would imagine you will have to make some .although why are you changing yours ? they usually are long lasting and seem to split at the very ends and can be trimmed back to good. sometimes however ( ive seen it a few times) they can rub through on the rocker cover clips or get caught on the throttle linkage !

the gte ones i think are different anyway to yours and one pipe goes down the side of the block rather than along to the front .

how "wrong" are the lhd ones ?

Yep I tried trimming the split ends but not enough meat left as there is a short sharp bend, ordered some standard heater hose.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.