Independent Valuation Required

jbk5x

It is certainly something that the club need to get to grips with. I used to do valuations for members when I was club chairman but there wasn’t ever a “proper” channel for requesting these and sorting them out.

I used to state that the car was as described by the owner and represent the current market value for replacement with a similar car, which isnt all that easy. We need to put together a proper price guide and keep it updated, as prices are moving all the time and we need to have a proper way to request club valuations, which will have some terms and conditions for use.

I will raise it with Lewis and see what can be sorted out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Im back on the valuations thing again!!

Footman James said they would not be able to value my car for more that the most expensive i could find on line. £15250 for an ok example, to insure mine at a higher value they need a club or independent valuation.

Is the club able to do this? or should i spend my club renewal money on an independent valuation as there is not much point in paying the renewal if there are no real benefits to being in the club? sorry to sound so negative BUT surely a valuation is something that the club should easily be able to do a all other clubs seem to have this as being part of the membership?

I sent in all my info years ago and i know people will say its hard without seeing the car but surely most of you know the car from the blog!!

Any more thoughts?

Andy

Best advice I can give is don't renew with Footman James.

I & others in the club are insured with Hagerty & they will insure on an agreed valuation up to £20k with no pictures.

Over £20k you have to supply pics of the car.

Hagerty are well aware of current values of Mantas as like us they keep an eye on latest values achieved at all the well known auction houses as well as sites like car & classic.

• Like 3

Hi I have just renewed with Footman James, after leaving Chris Knott (who needed an independent valuation greater than £10000) and have an agreed value of £15000 with no pictures needed nor independent valuation whatsoever. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 611 said:

Hi All

Im back on the valuations thing again!!

Footman James said they would not be able to value my car for more that the most expensive i could find on line. £15250 for an ok example, to insure mine at a higher value they need a club or independent valuation.

Is the club able to do this? or should i spend my club renewal money on an independent valuation as there is not much point in paying the renewal if there are no real benefits to being in the club? sorry to sound so negative BUT surely a valuation is something that the club should easily be able to do a all other clubs seem to have this as being part of the membership?

I sent in all my info years ago and i know people will say its hard without seeing the car but surely most of you know the car from the blog!!

Any more thoughts?

Andy

How lazy are Footman James? If you could only find one Manta for sale online and it was a £500.00 sack of crap that would be the highest valuation they would agree. Go elsewhere. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

How lazy are Footman James? If you could only find one Manta for sale online and it was a £500.00 sack of crap that would be the highest valuation they would agree. Go elsewhere. 

I think the problem is that as there are not many a series about and all the recent sales are just you standard one of between 12k to 16k they done have anythingvto base it on and if you look up valuations they are way behind what they are selling for as they say concourse is 15k! Look at Germany and one like line is easily 25k euros, and they won't take into account restoration costs  so they seem to want to see one the same for sale or have a club or independent valuation for the value of 25k as agreed as they just don't have any other info to go on. I know that to replace mine it would cost me that, even Hegartys valuation tool gets nowhere near the cost of what an a is really worth these days! Problem with having a car that there are not that many of about in the UK!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

So we are all the way back to the necessity of a club valuation scheme 💁

Yep, they say clubs are the best source for valuations as they really know the cars as lets face it an independent valuer that does not know Opel well will only do the same research as them and then come up with a guesstimate, the same as anyone else can do. If it was a Ford i would have no issues as there are hundreds of them out these to show them examples of otherers for sale, unlike a A series!!

I can't see why the club can't use it as a way to help members and change a small fee so they get something back for the club, i looked and £35 for a valuation (but they con you and charge £68 and say it lasts for 2 years!) so if the club charged £25 for one they would get some money for the club, members would get an accurate valuation and the insurance companies would be happy, no brainer in my opinion. And if you are not a member double it!

Lets face it, we can all look at a car and as long as you have enough evidence to show what work has been done on it you can get a good estimate of what it would cost to replace.

• Like 3

So a little update for you!

Footman James were just not going to budge on the valuation without a letter/email from the club declaring its value, so the most they would do it for was the best price of one they could find online currently 16K and that was it. No valuation no higher value.

So on the advice from @Rapierdave  i tried Hagerty, gave them all the info, modifications etc.. and the girl looked it up and straight off said if the car is as you describe it then its worth more than the one for 16k so we would happily do 20k, i said i would prefer a little higher, so she went off and checked and came back and said with pics they would do 22k and then if when they saw the pics nd thought it was worth more they could re-value it or if i did get something from the club (slim chance!) for a higher value then they would easy change in and no extra charge, so as my Footman James expires tomorrow i have switched. 

So now i just need to send in the mileage and pics and we are all good for 22k. I would have liked a little higher if i could as i know replacing it with one that the body is so good would be quite hard, but lets face it if the worst did happen i cant see me buying another one and restoring it!! I would defiantly have to go electric as by the time i had it done that would be the only fuel choice!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

One could try A Plan, using their Thatcham branch, who deal in grey imports, classics, kit cars etc.

I went through them to get insurance for my M400 as it was getting close to be completed and I had no problems getting it insured for 60k and all they wanted was a photo of the mileage reading.

My contact was Natalie Bennett-Nutt on 01635 874 646

Address: 44 Chapel Street, Thatcham, RG18 4QL

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've just switched from Footman James to Hagerty just now; my 2.7 Exclusive GTE coupe cost me £221 for 15k agreed value based in London.

they said agreed value over that figure requires photos; the car is currently undergoing a rebuild at David "MantaDoc" Howell and will be worth more than that when its finished, so I'll go back and up that figure to over 20k in a years time, once I've compiled a photo album of all the work done.

On 05/06/2022 at 15:32, Fatman400 said:

One could try A Plan, using their Thatcham branch, who deal in grey imports, classics, kit cars etc.

I went through them to get insurance for my M400 as it was getting close to be completed and I had no problems getting it insured for 60k and all they wanted was a photo of the mileage reading.

My contact was Natalie Bennett-Nutt on 01635 874 646

Address: 44 Chapel Street, Thatcham, RG18 4QL

I’m insured with A plan too. My renewal came through in feb and I upped the value to 10k. They didn’t bat an eye lid. Footman James are arkward buggers and not worth giving money to. 

as for the club not supplying agreed valuations, I think you should at least look into who your area rep is, contact them and get it sorted. If you don’t have an area rep, there’s a job opening there! I’ve done a few for my area, and I’ve had folk from neighbouring areas being their car over for valuation which is fine. I only ever did one valuation via email/phone/FaceTime because the owner was in Ireland without a rep and it was during lockdown. There are plenty of folk on here, that if you ask them nice enough and take the car out for a spin to see them, they would be more than willing to help out. After all, we are club members to HELP EACH OTHER OUT, not take the piss. 👍😊

5 hours ago, execman said:

I've just switched from Footman James to Hagerty just now; my 2.7 Exclusive GTE coupe cost me £221 for 15k agreed value based in London.

they said agreed value over that figure requires photos; the car is currently undergoing a rebuild at David "MantaDoc" Howell and will be worth more than that when its finished, so I'll go back and up that figure to over 20k in a years time, once I've compiled a photo album of all the work done.

Got my A with Hagerty on agreed value of 22K, all they needed was a list of modifications that would increase the value over standard and pics of the finished car, no need for ones of the build they were only asking for finished pics, Got the valuation nice and easy, unlike Footman James that wanted an independent one for anything over 16k.

3 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

I’m insured with A plan too. My renewal came through in feb and I upped the value to 10k. They didn’t bat an eye lid. Footman James are arkward buggers and not worth giving money to. 

as for the club not supplying agreed valuations, I think you should at least look into who your area rep is, contact them and get it sorted. If you don’t have an area rep, there’s a job opening there! I’ve done a few for my area, and I’ve had folk from neighbouring areas being their car over for valuation which is fine. I only ever did one valuation via email/phone/FaceTime because the owner was in Ireland without a rep and it was during lockdown. There are plenty of folk on here, that if you ask them nice enough and take the car out for a spin to see them, they would be more than willing to help out. After all, we are club members to HELP EACH OTHER OUT, not take the piss. 👍😊

Used my renewal to put towards the insurance as not much point in paying for membership if you don't get anything from it! I could have got a better agreed value if i had something from the club or paid for an independent one so the club not doing valuations is something i would say is important now values are increasing and its important to get it agreed for the right value. Years ago it didn't make much of a difference but i think its quite important now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 611 said:

Got my A with Hagerty on agreed value of 22K, all they needed was a list of modifications that would increase the value over standard and pics of the finished car, no need for ones of the build they were only asking for finished pics, Got the valuation nice and easy, unlike Footman James that wanted an independent one for anything over 16k.

Used my renewal to put towards the insurance as not much point in paying for membership if you don't get anything from it! I could have got a better agreed value if i had something from the club or paid for an independent one so the club not doing valuations is something i would say is important now values are increasing and its important to get it agreed for the right value. Years ago it didn't make much of a difference but i think its quite important now.

To a lot of us, we don’t even know your area….. so we don’t know who your rep may or may not be. We could have put you in touch with that rep and they would have done the valuation for you. Some times a little home work is needed when hunting something down. It’s a shame you’re leaving us because of that. 👍

On 24/06/2022 at 21:40, Sutty2006 said:

To a lot of us, we don’t even know your area….. so we don’t know who your rep may or may not be. We could have put you in touch with that rep and they would have done the valuation for you. Some times a little home work is needed when hunting something down. It’s a shame you’re leaving us because of that. 👍

Its not hard to work out where i am, its on my profile 🙂

Name: Andy

I did try various goes at getting some help, sent an email, did a couple of posts and the answer seemed to be that there was no one that could do one and that a lot of people would not do one without seeing the car! Not sure there is anyone down south anymore??

Its not so much as leaving just taking a little bit of a break from Manta's while i work on some other stuff and decided that as i wasn't getting far with the valuation thing, what was the renewal getting me? so that was part of the reason for not renewing. As i have finished the Manta now i will be driving it and dropping in and out of the forum to see what is going on. I have some bits to sell but i will be using my Opel Project blog to sell those on so at the moment the money is better spent on the insurance!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 611 said:

Its not hard to work out where i am, its on my profile 🙂

Name: Andy

I did try various goes at getting some help, sent an email, did a couple of posts and the answer seemed to be that there was no one that could do one and that a lot of people would not do one without seeing the car! Not sure there is anyone down south anymore??

Its not so much as leaving just taking a little bit of a break from Manta's while i work on some other stuff and decided that as i wasn't getting far with the valuation thing, what was the renewal getting me? so that was part of the reason for not renewing. As i have finished the Manta now i will be driving it and dropping in and out of the forum to see what is going on. I have some bits to sell but i will be using my Opel Project blog to sell those on so at the moment the money is better spent on the insurance!

I tend to agree. All other clubs that I am aware of do this for members. OMOC has been more a fan club, but now the car prices have surged, they need to up the game and deliver this as part of the membership. The issue I see is that Repsdo not act directly on behalf of OMOC and therefore any valuation would be worth no more than say mine as a ‘registered full OMOC member’ . Not really an official stamp as such. So something does need to be done and a valuation committee is the most sensible approach 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

I tend to agree. All other clubs that I am aware of do this for members. OMOC has been more a fan club, but now the car prices have surged, they need to up the game and deliver this as part of the membership. The issue I see is that Repsdo not act directly on behalf of OMOC and therefore any valuation would be worth no more than say mine as a ‘registered full OMOC member’ . Not really an official stamp as such. So something does need to be done and a valuation committee is the most sensible approach 

I couldn't have put it better 🙂

• Like 2

I will make sure this gets picked up after we have got Sywell out of the way. What we really need is a definitive price guide with some real world sale examples to back up the valuations. It would be good to have this as a separate section on the website. We also need someone to administer the service, and put some ideas down as to how it would work, which we will have to discuss. 

It would be great if we could put an online form together so that you could input your details and upload some photos, which we could review and issue an official valuation certificate. It’s only an idea but worth looking into.

I found this website really useful for listing historic sales, so I’ve copied the information. 
https://www.glenmarch.com/cars/results/quick/Opel/Manta?unsold=1&only_online=0

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Irmscher Man said:

I will make sure this gets picked up after we have got Sywell out of the way. What we really need is a definitive price guide with some real world sale examples to back up the valuations. It would be good to have this as a separate section on the website. We also need someone to administer the service, and put some ideas down as to how it would work, which we will have to discuss. 

It would be great if we could put an online form together so that you could input your details and upload some photos, which we could review and issue an official valuation certificate. It’s only an idea but worth looking into.

I found this website really useful for listing historic sales, so I’ve copied the information. 
https://www.glenmarch.com/cars/results/quick/Opel/Manta?unsold=1&only_online=0

Must need to be careful with Auctions data as they sometimes sell post auction with an offer that would not be shown. Also, I understand why some private sales do not like to disclose the price they purchased for / or sold for, but this data would also be vital.  So perhaps some form of anonymity for those that would send in that info would work too? 

Personally speaking, it does not need to be over complex with submission system imo ofc, but it should be a small committee, say 3, that can agree after looking at the vehicles condition etc. to give their estimate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Must need to be careful with Auctions data as they sometimes sell post auction with an offer that would not be shown. Also, I understand why some private sales do not like to disclose the price they purchased for / or sold for, but this data would also be vital.  So perhaps some form of anonymity for those that would send in that info would work too? 

Personally speaking, it does not need to be over complex with submission system imo ofc, but it should be a small committee, say 3, that can agree after looking at the vehicles condition etc. to give their estimate.

I think that would be the optimal approach - a small committee of people to review the data and agree on a value. It would show a more considered approach to any insurance company too, so it is not just "one mate valuing another mates car" - which can be a problem.

Getting a comprehensive listing of all achieved sales prices is quite an important tool that we can use for valuations too - obviously with the caveat that we have to be able to differentiate from Actual achieved prices and those where a sale has been arranged outside of the auction and also private sales, which could be slightly more difficult. As you mention, we could ask for anonymous submission of purchase price data that we would have to keep securely.

All great thoughts for the wider discussion. Just need some folks to help administer it too!

• Like 3