Waterless coolant?

plumster

I thought about using it but what if a hose clamp slackens off when you’re out for a run, normally you would just tighten it up and add water, if you use the waterless coolant you would need to carry some spare with you, could come stuck at roadside, where a simple fix would work with adding water.

Got it in my CIH and its good stuff, expensive but it does seem to run cooler than it used to with standard water and additive.

As Wayne says make sure you have no leaks as its expensive it you have a big leak. No problems there for me as in not using those pesky clamps that always leak. Im using the gates hose clamps that are amazing, never had one leak since i put them on. 🙂  

Andy

im with mike on this one.

nothing wrong with using water and antifreeze and you can always repair and top up anywhere if needs be. 

with the waterless stuff you would always need to carry an engines worth of it around with you and even if you are using good clips pipes can always burst ? 

my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

I did a thread on the same on here a while back as I thought about doing the same. 

Only thing that put me off is that I believe the stuff is pretty flammable - but then again I suppose there’s a tank of fuel the other end just as flammable . 

it’s meant to let the engine run a bit cooler with less pressure. You also need to flush through in order to remove moisture in the system prior to filling up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Very neat indeed!

There are so good and dead cheap compared to some of the supposedly better clamps!

And i could never get a very good fit for the heater rad connection with normal clamps, but these just slide on, get them in the right place and heat them up, job done 🙂

22 minutes ago, Kal001 said:

I did a thread on the same on here a while back as I thought about doing the same. 

Only thing that put me off is that I believe the stuff is pretty flammable - but then again I suppose there’s a tank of fuel the other end just as flammable . 

it’s meant to let the engine run a bit cooler with less pressure. You also need to flush through in order to remove moisture in the system prior to filling up. 

Not sure about the flammable bit, not something that came up when i was reading up on it, and as i have a fuel rail running right over the top of a very hot manifold the fact that the rad coolant might be flammable seemed less of a worry 🙂

Yep, got to flush the system if you as swapping from the old water stuff! but mine was a new engine build so it did save having to buy the flushing liquid.

Mine does seem to run cooler even in all that hot summer weather we had this year!

• Like 1