My Dream car in the making

BLACK-GTE

now the hatch is just about done, and ive had a bit of practice its about time to start my dream car, [:D] ive always loved 400s

but not having tons a cash to buy one the next best thing is make one[:)], so having collected a cally turbo engine and all the gubbings

this weekend, wheels bought a while ago, jef 50w sat in drive waiting for some lovin, blitz kit ordered soon the work can begin[:D][:P]

Picture011.jpg

cars804.jpg

Picture086.jpg

redb.jpg

so hopefully in about 18 months i should have a 400r running at close to 300bhp, WISH ME LUCK[;)]

omoc member 5918

400r trackday turbo on its way....

Please all be aware that the car in the picture is Not a 400R, it is a Genuine Manta 400 that belongs to and has been fully restored by Sean Hovell! There is a slight difference of over £20k in value I'm afraid between that and a replica.

id="size5">id="Georgia">

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

its going to be even better soon! no I know you knew it was Mick but others popssibly didnt. Sean took it to a retro car club meet once and they were saying shame he didnt fit the 400 bonnet to finish off the replica and he almost went spare! The problem is, with so many replicas, no one realises when they are looking at the real thing!

quote:Originally posted by d818anr

Sean took it to a retro car club meet once and they were saying shame he didnt fit the 400 bonnet to finish off the replica and he almost went spare! The problem is, with so many replicas, no one realises when they are looking at the real thing!

id="quote">id="quote">

I have trouble telling sometimes when their bonnets are down, but a quick look at where the steering wheel is, usually confirms. (Unless of course it's a replica built on a left hand drive motor) Silly sods everywhere mind! I've shown my new V8 to some people and they say "is it a 1.6?" AND THAT'S WITH THE BONNET UP!

A SRi130'd B series, a C20XE'd Hatch and now a turbo 400 replica, phew! what a line up. Anyhow, good luck with this project Mick, the Calibra engine should do you proud!

Have to say Cally Turbo Mantas are the business, I cake myself every time I go out in mine, always need to remind myself to ca'canny with the go pedal............but have an excellent brake set up which is a must for that sort of power, have not had it RR'd yet but according to previous owner(Craig) it is about 250-260bhp. Love seeing peoples faces looking at the car as it is an i200, but even better when they hear the psshhh of the dump valve........good luck with your project.[8D][:D]

Big B i200

Member No. :- 5727

i200 Turbo

and

i200 Project - Now gone to a new home.

quote:Originally posted by d818anr

its going to be even better soon! no I know you knew it was Mick but others popssibly didnt. Sean took it to a retro car club meet once and they were saying shame he didnt fit the 400 bonnet to finish off the replica and he almost went spare! The problem is, with so many replicas, no one realises when they are looking at the real thing!

id="quote">id="quote">

"Manta ? what's that ? like a Capri ?"

[:(!]

OMOC 5885

How to post Images

quote:Originally posted by PeteM

[br

"Manta ? what's that ? like a Capri ?"

[:(!]

id="quote">id="quote">

I was at a road rally in my car last year when some chav looking at all the cars at the start pointed and said

'Wow a Capri, don't see many of those!'

Fortunatly my navigator and a couple of other lads corrected him before i could get my hands on him [:(!]

http://www.mantasport.co.uk

OMOC no:3325

God damn...they really are the best looking car ever built...just perfect[^]

[F50] ill take that one> [Manta 400][:I]

Good luck with the project m8,ill hopefully be doing the same one day.

p5843885.jpg

Neil/Admin @ Volksdevil -Volkswagen Audi group Enthusiast Forum.

My current daily motor- will have an xe 400r as a toy one day.

Naked chicks

Must say Turbo power is nice.

Must also say that Micks plans for his red B were my plans too at one time (wide arch kit, when it was my car) but thought the Sri engine would be a bit weedy for the look of the car.

So looked into supercharging it, and actually looked into this in great depth, even bought the supercharger, and started working out the induction and mounting brackets, pulley sizes, belt suppliers and tensioners etc. Not to mention the fuelling.

Hope it all goes well Mick and i hope the car is as good a basis for your project as I would have hoped it would have been for mine.

was going to use the sri engine, thought long n hard about it,

was going to use r1 carbs or webers, but then i started thinking

turbo and got hooked on the idea[:)] plus its going to that some power to spin nearly 2ft of grip at the rear.

omoc member 5918

400r trackday turbo on its way....

Unless some sort of forced induction was to be used on the SRi engine, I always had the opinion that your engine was pretty much at it's limits Mick, however MOT blokes always said it was running V lean so perhaps a few more Neddies could have been added by adding the cream injectors. More power could have been added by Cam swaps and spending an absolute fortune on Modded airflow meters etc. But as a daily drive it would not have been a nice car to be sat in around town.

If the engine had been turbo'd it would have made approx 200bhp, and I was looking at the same amount of power from supercharging it, if calculations were correct the supercharger would have been good to just short of 6000 rpm but would have pulled nicely right through the rev range.

So with all these possible mods, really just better to start with something that is pushing out around the 200bhp mark for starters hence the LET would be much better starting point.

"plus its going to that some power to spin nearly 2ft of grip at the rear"

They were exactly my thoughts when I was preparing to be doing this Mick.

Yes Darren the engine could be supercharged, the SEH seemd more suitable than the cih for the supercharger I had, unfortunate that it would needed to be mounted over the Exhaust manifold, but hey! making up real heatshields is not a problem for me. Then there is always exhaust wrap too.