my sheddy exclusive

alan

hi guys just thought i would try to post some picks of the exclusive i am trying to restore.Its an e plate rather tatty one.As you can see she is a bit rough but i am sure i can sort it out.I have replaced the rear arches,rebuilt the inner arches and replaced parts of the inner returns to the sills.IT has had sills replaced 2 years ago but its a shoddy job looks good untill you grind the arches off and you can see the inner part of the sill rotted about an inch up.My plan is to do the rear quarters next then the rear panel as the car has been shunted in the past and bodged up.This has then started to rust out the boot floor so the welder will be on over time any chance i have of getting in the garage.<a%20 href=

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii271/dingdangdoogarlicbread/mantaphotos001-3-1.jpg' alt='mantaphotos001-3-1.jpg'>.If the photos dont work as i am not used to this photobucket malarky you can see them as photobucet user dingdangdoogarlicbread.cheers al

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would that be the Carmine Pink coachwork Alan? It has faded a bit there sir!

It doesn't look too bad for an Exclusive. Even the air in the tyres usually goes rusty on those.

Cheers,

Joe.

I replaced the rattly old timing chain today i cant believe the diffence in noise from the engine it sounded terminal before i changed it.I struggled to get a split link chain from any suppliers all the could get was chain kit but i did not want to strip down the motor.So a quick tip is for any one strugglin to get one is pop to your local bearing supplier and pick up a duplex chain and replacement split link all for the sum of £16.The only problem i have had is i think it has been tuned using the old chain so the dizzy timing is slightly out but i was running out of daylight so i will check tom.

• 3 months later...

Just an update to how the red shed is getting on.Spent an hour this morning writing an update and trying to post from photo bucket only to lose everthing completely.Was well disschuffed.Any how photos are on photobucket now but aint trying to paste them to site.If anyone has any spare time they can look at them under dingdangdoogarlicbread.I have been moving home the last 8 weeks so had to knock down walls fitt kitchens so have not been aloud to go to the garage untill last wednesday,when i removed the front wing and took most of the A panel most of the wing mounting band and just about all the steel from the front of the car>it was as rotten as a peach, but i am too far into the car now to even think about the scrappers.I have had to rebuild just about all the A panel bit by bit to keep some structural strength to the door post. But seem to be getting there.I have a sound second hand front panel to replace the rotten one and i intend to work towards the front then from the bottom of the A post down.The strange thing is the floor is solid but the sill end panels are non existant,Just hope the other side is not as bad.As soon as i have done any more i will post again cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

just another update.Had some time spare so put a few hours in.Workin my way forward and towards the floor.There was a horrid patch welded from the strutt top too the wing mounting band i have chopped it off and replaced.I am having to do a bit at a time to try and keep the original profile so its little by little and are quite pleased with my progress.DSC00126.jpgDSC00150.jpgDSC00151.jpgDSC00152.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, i have just started on the of side now.When i first removed the front wing i was suprised to its state, at first look it was not that bad but now it looks like my works cut out.I just cant understand why the A posts are in such a state.All the other projects i have seen they just dont seem to be as bad.If any one can send me some close up photos of how the bottom of the a post should look it would be most welcome as both sides i am relign on guess work at the mo.I just cant believe that the sills on both sides were replaced 18 months ago but were they join the a post it has been wide open to the eliments letting water stright in to the the inner and outer sill cavity.Most of my problems are from so called experinced welders just banging patches over patches.As this car has got recipts from a local garage maintainin this car over the last 5 or 6 years i just cant believe the place has a mot bay.well bodged. DSC00193.jpgDSC00191.jpgDSC00189.jpgDSC00182.jpgDSC00181.jpgDSC00176.jpgDSC00174.jpgDSC00173.jpgDSC00193.jpgangdoogarlicbread/DSC00175.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

just another update on the off side.Started de rusting the inner wheel arch to the part at the bottom of the water bottle shelf,there as been numerous repairs over the years all patches over patches.in the first one you can see up to 6 previous repairs.DSC00200.jpgand in the next ones the extent of the rott.DSC00201.jpgDSC00218.jpgbut any how you have to keep choppin and plating.I first made a new water bottle tray and fixed it in to place,probably the most hardest place to weld having not much space.DSC00249.jpgDSC00252.jpgthen made the part that goes from the inner arch to tray part.This part i found using the hubs and a large hammer to push the panel back to spot it into place.Its amazing what you can make withe the help of a piece of cardboard.DSC00254.jpgDSC00258.jpgDSC00259.jpgDSC00255-1.jpgDSC00260.jpgI know repairs like this aint for the faint hearted but you learn as you go along 6 months ago i would not of even thought about it.Hopefully i will be able to finnish this part of this weekend then i will tackle the floor.Hope you enjoy how i am getting on al.ps i tried to rotate the photos on photo bucket but they just keep on been the origanal way when posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to the last lot of welding.I have now finnished the off side a post ,water bottle tray and inner arch.Everything went quite straight forward untill i sliced through the wiring harnes with a cutting disc but thats repaired now,thank god i had followed the hains manual and removed the battery lol.As i posted previously if any one can post me some photos of the bottom of the a post it would be most appreciated as i have nothing but guess work left to replace the bottom of it.Cheers.DSC00271.jpgDSC00272.jpgDSC00273.jpgDSC00274.jpg

Looks to be some impressive work going on there - although would be easier to see if the photos and text weren't all over the place.......

Just an update to the last lot of welding.I have now finnished the off side a post ,water bottle tray and inner arch.Everything went quite straight forward untill i sliced through the wiring harnes with a cutting disc but thats repaired now,thank god i had followed the hains manual and removed the battery lol.As i posted previously if any one can post me some photos of the bottom of the a post it would be most appreciated as i have nothing but guess work left to replace the bottom of it.Cheers.

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

That's better :thumbup

unlucky with the wiring harness - I think we've all either done it or very nearly done it at some point (I cut through the fuel pump wires at some point and the CD autochanger cable - that was expensive to replace)

Have a look at mantadocs projects threads for an idea of what the bottom of the A pillar should look like

• 1 month later...

Just another update on project shed.Thank god for doctor manta without his and some other projects i would not of known where to start on the floor section.First of all once i chopped out all the rust i had to repair the jacking point in a couple of areas and then start to fabricate the floor section,of which i got a few ideas of dr mantas threads. The use of tec screws saved me a hell of a lot of work.Once i had it in place i seam welded it on the inside and then out side for more strength.Probably the hardest was making the bottom of the a post as there was nothing to work from apart from the jacking point at the bottom.Any how hope you enjoy, some of the welding looks a bit rough in places but at least it is now solid.And just another point is i think the resone it was rotten at the bottom was that the pipes that drain from the sun roof don't go all the way to the outside of the sill's there about 6 in short it must just of drained in to the sills instead.DSC00293.jpgDSC00295.jpgDSC00301.jpgDSC00306.jpgDSC00307.jpgDSC00307.jpgDSC00310.jpgDSC00312.jpg

Its definately gonna get painted theres not a panel i aint touched only the front panel alittle on tha chassie legs and the near side floor and i will be nearly there.Still cant believe i bought this with 9 months of mot on it there is no way i would of taken my family out in it as it was.

• 3 months later...

Its been a while but i have been beavering away for the last winter months and thought i would update my thread.The last couple of months i have removed a large plate that was inside the car over the jacking points to see more rot that the previous side i had already done,i knew this side would be worse been the nearside curb edge.As the other side i hade to replace quite alot of the a post and quite a large area on the jacking points and the front chassie leg,But feel now i am on the home straight.Now i have completed this part i have started on the front panel which came of quite easy,this had to come of as the previous owner had towed the car using the radiator support completely knackering it and twisting the lower valance as well.Luckerly a almost mint front panel and attached crossmember came with the car.The hardist part has been removing the old cross member and seperating the new one of the new front panel to replace but all done now, and now i am starting to fabricate the return flange on the front inner wings.DSC00330.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

Any how hope to get the front panel fitted some time in the next week o so so will update then,thanks to everyone who as been posting on there projects it rely helps watching some one elses progress and helps me get motivated to get out in the garage on these cold winter days,cheers al.