Paulmanta's Blue V8 Coupe project.

paulmanta

I did think about that but decided after looking at the standard hubs that they are not that heavy and you would struggle to get the kind of strength you would need.

I have enough billet left to make the same number of spacers again so might do some for the A series to beef the stance of that up a bit, a few mm makes a lot of difference to the look of a car.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paul use an adjustable brake bias valve, they are not expensive and work really well, thats what on my V8 A series.

I have a willwood one but rally design do this one for about £50.

Mines mounted on the inside beside the handbrake.

AV8aug03010.jpg

levervalve-SML.jpeg

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/pr ... ts_id=4109

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

TJM already do alloy hubs for the Chevette, same part no?

I asked if they could be turned with 5 stud, I think the answer was yes for 10 pairs.

No warranty implied or given [:D] New shorter posts to minimise global warming by conserving ones and zeros [:D] The uncivilized end of the North West [:(]

sig.jpg

Dann Merino should definitely buy one of these. Well not this one.....

LOL Robbie - imagine the scenario you lend wife your V8 A Series to go down the shops (unlikely and unusual I know but possible) hmmmm what do all these red levers do......I'll give them a go........hmmmm appear to do nothing........brakes hard on way home......oooopppppsss......car in one of NI's finests hedgerows.........perhaps you should have one of those briefing stickers like you have when you sit in the fire escape seat on a plane......or maybe one of those REALLY unsubtle stickers as per any hire car you pick up pointing out any potential hazard.....could read something like this........." BEWARE F.UCK WITH ALL MY RED LEVERS IN MY PRIDE & JOY AND IT COULD WELL F.UCK WITH YOU IF YOU HAVE THE GOOD FORTUNE TO BE ALLOWED BEHIND THE WHEEL BEWARE OF HAZARD" on the back of the sunvisor.......

Carl[:D]

Located in Sunny Wigan Lancashire

1984 GTE Coupe 2.0XE16v - B623RWW - currently being reshelled...

1996 BMW 328i Touring Alpina Cosmetics Hartge Power - Parts Chaser/Manta Tower/Daily Driver

OMOC Member#5937

E-Mail Me - mrcarlos@mantagte.co.uk

Into MySpace? Check me out......

http://www.myspace.com/mrcarlos01

b623rwwnewshell1.jpgb623rwwnewshell2.jpgn516arx1.jpgn516arx2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished removing the engine and gearbox and subframe as one lump.

It needed to be done because i was looking at changing the auto box to a manual and could see no way to remove the box on its own it is just too big.

so after an hour disconnecting all the electics, fuel, exhaust and other odds and sods i turned my attention to the rear subframe bolts. You know the ones, they run through the chassis legs. Well lets just say that after two hours of heating/hammering/airgunning and coercing they still would not shift. In the end i resorted to cutting the head off the bolts (on the outside of the legs) and beating/driving melting and swearing them out of the subframe. I was forced to do this to both of them so it took ages. now i need to re-bush the subframe when it goes back in.

Anyway, its all on the floor now and looking like it could do with a good clean and a tidy up and i am swopping the monster ZF 4 HP-22 auto for the 5 speed rover box. this is, with no word of a lie half the size so the weight saving and better power control offered by doing the swop should be worth it.

Pics in a bit...

Pic of the whole lot on the floor, the box on the left is the 5speed manual that is going in, a bit of a difference !

comparisonboxes.jpg

On the list of things to do over the next week or so is to wrap the manifolds, re-paint the engine block black or silver, change the water pump and fit my Billet alloy pulley, whip the alternator off and replace with the 95amp chromed one i got from the states, plum in the nitrous and fit the air bag system from the other car. also going to clean up under the transmission tunnel a bit and fit the new brake bias valve.

Meanwhile if i sell the auto gearbox and a few other parts from the now abandoned other V8 project I can afford to do a bit of work on the A series again which has come to a halt due to me spending out on this car.

Hi Paul, very nice! glad to see the ex Graham Taylor Manta is still in good hands.

I remember having a chat with him when he was thinking of changing the cwp for a higher ratio, with the auto he said it was a bit too low. Manual not being an option for Graham.

By the way I here Graham's friend Paul Roach from Plymouth has now got his Manta back from the body shop and is fitting a 4.2 with nos!

Paul H omoc # 412

Its been a while since i saw Paul Roach last, I went to his house and the car was in bits then, glad he is getting it sorted to a high spec as well.

I am going to try the lt77 box in the car and see what i think about the rear axle, then i have got the SD1/manta hybrid axle i could put in it if it needs it. That involves buying an lsd for it though.

V8slanty.jpg

That sure is one big mother of a box,I recon it would even be tight in my V8 A [^]

The Manta/Rover axle in my A series with the 2.84 CWP should just be about right for the 4 speed auto box Paul and hopefully will increase the MPG, its scarey at the moment.

Opel did do a CWP ratio of 3.18 but they are really hard to get hold off, maybe ebay here or germany could be worth keeping an eye on to see if one pops up for sale.

With the Manual box your going to have heaps of fun in that V8, [:D]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

Its a biggy alright, It was "tight" but fitted with no rattles or knocks, the trans tunnel was relieved a bit but not as much as i was expecting. There was no way that was coming out with out the rest of the engine and subframe though.

I am busy with the clean and re-paint of the motor this week and then fitting it all back together.

The rear axle i have to go in is SD1 diff so should be easier to find a 3:18 and lsd for it.

V8slanty.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the front axle out of the store and cleaned it down, I then checked it over and pumped the airbags up and down a few times to make sure all was well with them. All checked out ok.

About to paint the V8 block and then the task of putting the whole lot back in will start.

bagmount1.jpg

V8slanty.jpg

"this old engine housings streaked with rain..."

Thanks Gary,

The pic i posted above was one i took for the small sig pic so i didnt do it on a good quality setting as i knew i was reducing it down but I wanted to get a pic up on here quickly tonight to show someone what it looked like with the wheels and this was the only one i had uploaded already.

Once this horrible rain finally goes away i intend to get the car outside again and do a whole load of high detail pics to post here.

V8slanty.jpg

Yeah come on Paul...pull yer finger out and get some work done! [:D] Be great to see more pics though fella... that Coup is stunning!!

Mike OMOC #6109

This ere is Opel Country, where on a quiet day you can actually here the Fords rusting

mikeyrulesATjustopelvauxhall.com

DSCN0976.jpg

Dammitt. I am supposed to work mon to fri. so why for the last 3 weekends have i ended up working all day on a saturday when i am supposed to be doing my cars ? [:(!]

This is the real reason nothing seems to get done on the projects, i am too busy loading lorrys and supervising forklifts and making sure digger drivers dont dig up water mains on my land.

I managed 20 mins in total today in between all the above and the bloody phone ringing about MORE work.

Cant complain as it pays my wages but a saturday off would be nice. Mildly miffed i have to go in tomorrow and load a lorry to go away. mint, that a whole weekend gone again and no progress.

V8slanty.jpg

Mutter.[xx(]

Just got back in from loading the lorry, Its wet, i am wet and the worst part is i have gone ill with a really sore throat. Yet another weekend wasted. Meh.

The A series is now off the ramp PMA, the V8 is on it, ramp is working fine its the owner that has packed up this weekend.[:D]

V8slanty.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Managed about 2 hours on it today, Took the rear screen out and cut the holes in the metal shelf to allow me to fit the new MDF parcel shelf i have made.

I discovered that when the rear screen was put in the mobile screen fitter decided to use ALL the black sealer gunge he had, there is tons, and its sticky, horrible and took about an hour to get off the screen surround and has ruined the rubber unless i have the rest of my life to pick it all out. muppets.

The engine bay is now all minted right up and is waitnig for the engine and box to be slotted back in.

more when i get a bit more time !

V8slanty.jpg

"Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Found your car after our tele conversation, looks very smart. The mantzel kit I plan to fit is a wider one. I had a look at your engine mount setup, I have done mine different,hopefully does the same job. The air bags look interesting....have you got something to pump them onboard.....what are they off?Will be in touch soon.

Rgds

Gerry

The airride system uses an on board 12V compressor feeding a 5 litre air tank from a HGV trailer, the piping used is all HGV stuff and the T pieces and joints are all off trucks too. The bags themselves are Firestone airride bags and are designed for car suspension, they replace the coil springs and are used with the shock absorbers as normal. the air ride is controlled by 4 switches that increase or decrease the amount of pressure in the bags, more pressure means harder ride and higher suspension till you reach the bags max height.

I designed the system to run at about 60% pressure at standard ride height, this will be about what the standard manta springs are in terms of rebound and stiffness. I expect i will have to fiddle with the shims a bit to get it right but I dont mind that.

I will be getting more pics of the set up soon once its all finished i will expand this topic.

V8slanty.jpg

"Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels"