Rear Axle Replacement

gary6303

would like help choosing a replacement rear axle for my manta coupe,it's a choice between a volvo 940,960 axle which has 5 studs,disc brakes and a ford 8",9" rear axle which can handle loads of power and tourqe,my manta is gonna have a powerfull 6cly engine fitted so will have to be strong,its a road car not for racing,drag strips,many thanks.

• Like 1

Have you considered a Salisbury 4ha? Getting one fitted to my ascona 400r they are good strong axle and a jag powerlok LSD fits in too. Retropower have a kadett pushing 500 bhp thru one..... Plus is they are cheap to get hold of too compared to your ford options

would like help choosing a replacement rear axle for my manta coupe,it's a choice between a volvo 940,960 axle which has 5 studs,disc brakes and a ford 8",9" rear axle which can handle loads of power and tourqe,my manta is gonna have a powerfull 6cly engine fitted so will have to be strong,its a road car not for racing,drag strips,many thanks.

Some interesting reading here before you consider doing structural body mods http://www.the-ace.org.uk/Chassis-and-Monocoque-Modification.html It may help you decide to uprate your stock axle.

Any structural modifications made to your monocoque could result in your car becoming a very fancy garden orniment unless you go through the hassle and expense of going building your car to go through an IVA.

As Simon has pointed out, Please will all of you wishing to modify your car, make sure you are aware of the law. Or you could find yourseves with big problems.

Taken from the DirectGov web site:

Allocating a vehicle registration mark

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA), enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

In order to retain the original registration mark:

* cars and car-derived vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used a car must pass an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) and light goods vans must have a enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a ""Q"" prefix registration number will be allocated.

To see it all, click on Simons link.

I know some will say " it's been happening for years and how will they know anyway" but this time we have big brother Europe to blame. It is new Europien law that is going to make the goverment clamp down. I have been told by a trusted sause that in 2012 a new "tick if modified" box will be added to the MOT test. We will have to wait and see what does happen, but I have already changed my plans for my Manta cause I don't what to risk haveing a very expencive garden orniment.

It's up to you what you do, but make sure you do your homework before chousing.

4ha axle thats of a scimatar i think,after a 5 stud axle,think some one already has one on a manta,thought about a capri axle but not strong enough,interested in this 4ha axle never looked for one cant even think of the time i saw a scimatar do they all come with a 4ha axle,going to 5 link what ever axle i'm gonna get anyway,so whats the going price of a 4ha axle.

4ha axle thats of a scimatar i think,after a 5 stud axle,think some one already has one on a manta,thought about a capri axle but not strong enough,interested in this 4ha axle never looked for one cant even think of the time i saw a scimatar do they all come with a 4ha axle,going to 5 link what ever axle i'm gonna get anyway,so whats the going price of a 4ha axle.

4HA all day, floating axle, re-drill the hubs for PCD

F**K the government, you can get around all the rules if you have a " friendly " MOT guy

EUROPEAN BOLLOXS

Need to prove you have bought an engine and done a transplant? ER.... the only thing you need is a made up garage name and a printer, ticks the box, jobsbody happy, job done, AUNTS

wasted so much time reading what can be classed as modified and how a repaired car with new sections could be in need of an SVA test, and the whole original/repaired/modified argument goes on and on and round and round in circles.

And just wasted more time posting this up when someone only wanted axle advice that I'm not really qualified to answer

anyway back to axle's would like to know more about this mighty 4ha axle,do all scimatars come with them,i know a volvo would be strong enough and has the 5 studs,disc's,not sure on lsd or ratio's of either of them,one last thing guy's how wide is this 4ha axle or a link to someone who fitted one to a manta.

The Volvo 940/960 axle is to wide! even the 740 axle is way to wide! The volvo 240 axle on the other hand is slightly wider than an A series axle and slightly narrower than a B series axle. There are two models however (or actually three..) The 1030 axle is OK but it's the 1031 axle that's good! here in sweden there are quite a few cars running 1031 axles with 600bhp without the axle braking! The third version is one that has an aluminum housing and bolted "tubes" It's quite rare thou and not as strong as the 1031.

the 1031 is mostly found on the 240 Turbos, but the late 240's often had this axle as well!

If you'd like 5 studs up front asweel you can use the lower balljoint from a commodore a or b series and put volvo 140 hubs on!

This procedure is pretty common in sweden since parts are easy to find! :)

4HA all day, floating axle, re-drill the hubs for PCD

F**K the government, you can get around all the rules if you have a " friendly " MOT guy

EUROPEAN BOLLOXS

Need to prove you have bought an engine and done a transplant? ER.... the only thing you need is a made up garage name and a printer, ticks the box, jobsbody happy, job done, AUNTS

Could not have put it better myself!!

Yep, if one was to build a car which required IVA, and one was to then just MOT it and use it on the road, then at some point, some prat might report it, and one might have to go through the hassle of IVA. Ok, its a pain and its an extra expense but having done it, its not the end of the world, just another hoop to jump through.

Just get on with it and don't spout on about it and you will have no issue.

What is the cost in time and money to put a car through an "IVA"

Yep, if one was to build a car which required IVA, and one was to then just MOT it and use it on the road, then at some point, some prat might report it, and one might have to go through the hassle of IVA. Ok, its a pain and its an extra expense but having done it, its not the end of the world, just another hoop to jump through.

Just get on with it and don't spout on about it and you will have no issue.

When you say powerful 6cyl engine, what sort of power are you planning?

Might help narrow down some of the recomendations a little more

I did note you say a Capri axle (so an Atlas) wouldn't be strong enough so i'm guessing your planning quite a lot of power

anyway back to axle's would like to know more about this mighty 4ha axle,do all scimatars come with them,i know a volvo would be strong enough and has the 5 studs,disc's,not sure on lsd or ratio's of either of them,one last thing guy's how wide is this 4ha axle or a link to someone who fitted one to a manta.

Ok, I posted a bit up about this on the Kadett C form a while back - I'm lazy, so i'll copy and paste!!

The 4HA is an axle design that is available in a lot of different widths, and was fitted to a lot of different vehicles, from old Jags, to Astons, to Thwaite dumper trucks!! This has the bonus that a vast range of ratios are available, from around 2.5:1 to 7:1!

The 4HA's that are a useful width were fitted to the Reliant Scimitar. The Scimitar SE5 (1968-1975, pointy front) axle is approx 54" between drum faces, ideal for the Kadett/Chevette. The Scimitar SE6 axle (1975-1986, flat front) is around 56", ideal for Manta B/Ascona B.

As standard they have a 4-link and watts linkage setup, although the links are not in a useful position, so the standard brackets need removing.

The cool part is due to the fact the basic diff design was used in a lot of other vehicles. First off the watts linkage diff cover can be swapped for a non-watts linkage tin cover from a Jag axle or (cheaply avaiable new) a land rover axle. Secondly, and most importantly the diffs from almost any Jag axle (including the later IRS type diffs from Jag XJ/XJS) will fit, and Jag Powrlok LSD's are easy to come by and cheap - they were fitted to all V12 models, XJR's and an option on all XJ/XJS. Also the Jags have a good selection of ratios, 3.54 is very common, and 3.71 available (usually on the 2.9l XJ40). You should be able to get a powrlok diff in perfect order for £150.

Another handy thing is that the hubs from the jag live axle (mk2 etc) are 5x5" PCD, which just so happens to be within a hair's breadth of 5x120mm, aka Manta 400 PCD!! The shafts are fully floating, so a quick swap to Jag hubs and no need for redrilling on ya 400 rep ;) The Jag has discs too, and the parts are cheap and easily available - it just gets better and better!!

As for fitting the axle, best bet is to go for the full 5-link. The axle tube is the same diameter as an Atlas, so a standard 5-link kit from Rally Design will be perfect. The standard panhard rod mount on the shell can be used, so you just need to weld in the link boxes and mounts. You can then use coilovers into the standard turrets.

The axle is very strong, I've never heard of one breaking. 500+ BHP should be no problem.

4HA pros:

VERY strong

Cheap to rebuild

JAG LSD fits and is cheap

Wide range of ratios available

4HA cons:

Requires some fabrication work on the shell (link boxes/brackets) so no back seat!

Quite heavy

Getting harder to find.

Edited by Retro Power

hi cassius,great info how do i identify a 1031 axle mate,what about lsd and disc's.

This is a 1031 axle: http://www.240sidan....axel/1031_3.jpg

This is a 1030 axle: http://www.240sidan....axel/1030_3.jpg

The difference is that the crownwheel needs more space, you can see a slight bulb on the upper part of the housing on a 1031 that's not there on the 1030!

Pics showing better what i mean:

1031: http://www.240sidan....axel/1031_1.jpg ___ http://www.240sidan....axel/1031_2.jpg

1030: http://www.240sidan....axel/1030_1.jpg ___ http://www.240sidan....axel/1030_2.jpg

Late 1031 axles have (also 1030 axles) often have a mountingpoint on both the upper and lower part of the housing which are nice to find as mountingpoints for a ladderbar for instance. Seen in this pic: http://img.photobuck...28022009002.jpg

LSD's came in most 240 turbos and some late stationwagons, it was an option so you could find it anywere! But the turbos usually has them. There's a great number of different ratios for these aswell since they have been used in every type of racing possible in sweden! Aussielockers are pretty cheap to buy new, about a third of the cost for a new lsd!

Since these are still used frequently here in sweden, spares of all sorts are easy to find and relativly cheap! How it compares to the Capri axle in prices I don't know, but the Capris with a little more power here mostly have Volvo 1031 axles instead of atlas axles.

Disc's are standard, and can be upgraded to more or less any volvo diameters! The 240 4-piston front calipers are good but will prob not take more than 260mm'ish discs without moving them outwards! How ever, you can upgrade those to beefier bits if wanted if you have the Volvo 140 hubs in front :) I belive there is quite a few differnt 300mm'ish front discs available ;)

Edited by Cassius

thanks cassius, that is more great info, not too much stuff about on the volvo axles in the uk, but between them and the Salisbury 4HA axles we are pretty well covered for high hp live axle applications.

We are looking into a decent option for IRS at the moment, not necessary on a lot of cars, but good on a fast road use car for rough uk roads.

PS the volvo axle is MUCH stronger than a Ford Atlas one, though a touch heavier.

cant say to much at moment about the engine that im fitting as its not running yet, and its now to bloody cold in my council garage to do anymore to it,but engine and gearbox are in but not mounted properly, ie engine mounts made but not mounted to subframe yet as i have to strengthen subframe and make a new floor and transmition tunnel,but have to finnish my e30 first ready for summer,which has my old c20let fitted with omega box and it fits the e30 bay beautiful i recommend it to anyone with an e30 or manta for that matter.

• 1 month later...